Cher flops with new hits album, what went wrong?

Sergi91

Cher charted last year with her newest studio album "Christmas", charting for 8 weeks and peaking at #32. 

Cher's charted on the Billboard Album Chart in the 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s and 2020s. 

Cher's charted on the Billboard Hot 100 in the 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s and 2020s 

Edited by MichaelW
  • Like 1

There isn't a new song included to help drive sales. All of the music is already available elsewhere. That being said I do think the track list is a good representation of her best and I love the artwork!

• Thanks 2

She already has like 60 greatest hits albums jdlkfj;adsf 

• Haha 8

It doesn't have any new material and I don't know that anyone knew it was coming out

• Like 2

I mean it's a release for collectors, i'm sure not even most of her fans bought this just because of a different package :deadbanana2:

And she still charted so it's good

Releasing a body of work that is already widely available is always a choice

Her fans probably own everything she has released already why would they buy a new playlist of the same old songs if there is no incentive like new songs or some old unreleased stuff 

• Thanks 1

I love her and had no idea this was out :skull:

Then again I've just seen it doesn't have anything new so I'm not bothered to stream another GH playlist, I already have my own

Greatest Hits albums are redundant in the streaming era, that's all.

My opinion about crating a greatest hit album in the world where streaming is dominating is very waste. You can make your own playlist with all the greatest hits without buying an LP. So legendary Cher, welcome to 2024

GHs are useless now and she should have recorded some new songs to build interest

17 minutes ago, RT Air said:

I love her and had no idea this was out :skull:

Then again I've just seen it doesn't have anything new so I'm not bothered to stream another GH playlist, I already have my own

13 minutes ago, Rihinvention said:

Greatest Hits albums are redundant in the streaming era, that's all.

12 minutes ago, Patrickern777 said:

My opinion about crating a greatest hit album in the world where streaming is dominating is very waste. You can make your own playlist with all the greatest hits without buying an LP. So legendary Cher, welcome to 2024

Her demo is mostly older and still buys records over streaming. For example, her album last year did 20k in pure sales and only 1k from streaming. 

Thats why older acts like her or garth brooks still do GH. 

1 minute ago, Iaintsorry said:

Her demo is mostly older and still buys records over streaming. For example, her album last year did 20k in pure sales and only 1k from streaming. 

Thats why older acts like her or garth brooks still do GH. 

Well it dosen't look like lot of her demo who is older and isn't on streaming had bought the album! This topic is started with the facts

Who asked for a Greatest Hits album, without even one new song, in a streaming era? Any Spotify playlist has better songs, more hits and represents Cher's music much better than this release. 

This album is only released to accompany her memoir (part 1) coming out in November. 

• Thanks 1

The first I heard of this album was when the sales came out. I doubt most people knew about it 

It's a Greatest Hits album......

She has quite a lot of GHs albums, so maybe that's why.

2 hours ago, shimind said:

Her fans probably own everything she has released already why would they buy a new playlist of the same old songs if there is no incentive like new songs or some old unreleased stuff 

THIS! and like I said in my previous post, she already has quite a few GH albums out anyway.

I don't know what makes me laugh more, that you think your favorite artists are going to be on the charts at 78 years old or that this album is a flop

i love the album but it has no new songs so it's difficult to justify buying it just because it's a new playlist... 

Compilation albums for someone like Cher who's had a few really need new content to make them worth buying. Either which way, the way Cher has survived all these decades without losing her sanity whilst still releasing and staying booked should be studied

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.