Why are people acting like Chappel's music is groundbreaking?

Miley Cyrus

It's groundbreaking that songs explicitly about a woman loving women are charting on the billboard hot 100. Sorry it's not your cup of tea, but move on please.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, RatGod said:

It's groundbreaking that songs explicitly about a woman loving women are charting on the billboard hot 100. Sorry it's not your cup of tea, but move on please.

Katy Perry Billie eilish and Demi lovato did that already.

Why are people overhyping her music and acting like she's the second coming of music?? It's just not sonically good.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I love GLB! so I listened to her album and yeah, it sounds like a mixture of several pop girls, is has no identity.

• Like 1

Her only 10/10 good song is My Kink Is Karma

11 minutes ago, RatGod said:

I love chappell Im a casual fan, but her sound is not very unique

We've also had lesbians in the industry for ages

I think that younger people are just easily impressed and easily caught up in hype

She's a mix of different elements that we've seen before

She's still stands out in Gen Z and a great artist

Just not groundbreaking imo

Edited by Trent W
  • Like 7

Your first mistake was listening to what Azealia Banks has to say 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

literally no one is saying that

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

It's the brand:

- young

- lesbian

- the camp aesthetic (the Statue of Liberty thing, the nun look, the nacho libre thing…it's camp)

- caught the attention and support of gays/trans

- good hooks

- persistent tik-toking (the ones with her rabbit etc)

- all happening in a draught of new young pop girls (tho Sabrina seems to have paralleled her rise) 

- the underdog story (videos of her playing to no one years ago, dropped by label, etc)

right place right time circumstance, that's all. Her sound isn't really unique, I thought it was like Marina and the Diamonds when I first heard it 

Edited by fulgadrum
  • Like 4

Her music may not be super groundbreaking, but I think it's her persona that is. 

She's an LGBT, outspoken, gen z who embraces drag culture and musical influences. We haven't ever had that before. People will say Lady Gaga before her, but I'm sorry (don't come for me monsters) I truly think Lady Gaga is and was always straight but just experimented. 

Chappell is publicly gay and has presented her lgbt/drag influences from the jump. 

• Thumbs Down 1

If ATRL user Miley Cyrus says it isn't good then it must be actually great so yeah

• Haha 1

It is just her debut, she will make better music in the future. I'm waiting for her Hounds Of Love/The Dreaming

Edited by Shimenawa

she's just trendy right now!

She's not that special, but she makes fun music and with the right push and her stage presence skills she earned a following (mostly on TikTok).

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Iaintsorry said:

Her music may not be super groundbreaking, but I think it's her persona that is. 

She's an LGBT, outspoken, gen z who embraces drag culture and musical influences. We haven't ever had that before. People will say Lady Gaga before her, but I'm sorry (don't come for me monsters) I truly think Lady Gaga is and was always straight but just experimented. 

Chappell is publicly gay and has presented her lgbt/drag influences from the jump. 

Nas, Sam - am i a joke to you?

Her music is great. There's a reason why almost every song on the album is a hit. 

• Like 1

cause it is! and what about it?

You're entitled to your wrong opinion babe

10 minutes ago, wulmite said:

literally no one is saying that

Not people saying it above and below your quote. :rip: They messy for the timing. 

• Haha 1

Agreed

it was expecting something better with those outfits and bratty attitude but her music is not iconic at all lol 

It's like Kate bush with a gen z American twist. Nothing groundbreaking. White girls and gays are easily gagged.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

her album is better than any miley album tho thats for sure :celestial:

I came here expecting people to mostly say "I don't think its groundbreaking, but it is still great music!"

That is how I feel about her music. Great music. I'm kind of shocked people are saying its groundbreaking.

I've never actually seen someone say that about her music before.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Miley Cyrus said:

+20 lbs of face makeup isn't deluding everyone like that.

thinking this is a good drag like she's not literally a drag queen is :rip:

It's about as groundbreaking as Short N Sweet. It's good, but nothing new.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.