Is The Substance a reflection of Stan culture's role in ageism

nostalgia

The Substance is a film that Stan Twitter and ATRL need to see. It's not just a thriller about fame and the media; it's a reflection of the toxic behaviors we see in stan culture today. The way Elizabeth Sparkle's character is treated in the film mirrors how iconic pop legends like Madonna and Cher and Katy have been discarded by the industry simply for aging.

Ageism and misogyny run rampant, and you can't help but notice the parallels in how both the media and the GeePee take shots at these women.

Elizabeth Sparkle feels like a stand-in for all the "pop girls" who've paved the way but now face constant scrutiny. Then there's Sue, a rising star who represents the new wave of pop girls, destined to replace the legends that came before her. In a way, it's not even Sue's fault; she's just caught in the machine. But this dynamic only fuels the stan wars we see online, where fans pit artists against each other instead of celebrating their coexistence.

The film highlights how quick we are to dismiss older female artists while embracing the shiny new thing, without understanding the larger cycle we're feeding into. The Substance serves as a reminder that these issues aren't just limited to Hollywood or the music industry—they reflect the values we promote in everyday conversations online.

Well yes I thought the whole point of the movie was to expose ageism in Hollywood, idk about stan culture

I don't know if it was specific to stan culture, I mean yeah it focuses on ageism in Hollywood but it can be applied to ageism with regards to women in general

I literally just watched this an hour ago. Wild

Ageism, yes. Stan culture, no. 

Also, what's with the random 365 plug? Love the song but I don't see the relevance

No.

Most of the commentary is about ageism through the lens of the straight male gaze, and the commodification of youth/sex. Stan culture is much more intertwined with gay culture.

Whilst misogyny and ageism from gay men is still a huge issue, and shouldn't be ignored, it's not really a theme of the film.

• Thanks 1

Doesn't really critique stan culture imo. The critique seemed more directly aimed at people who work in the industry.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.