"I Kissed A Girl" by Katy Perry is still one of the most iconic debut singles. Agree?

KatyPrismSpirit

It was summer 2008. Got dropped by three recordlabels in a row. Disowned by her parents. Gospel music career in the toilet. Can't afford rent. She had ONE chance... and made herstory

The timeless beauty, the catchy hook, Kesha in the video lmao, the way this took over the world. And it was only her debut single

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The way it spent 7 weeks at #1 too making her one of the few elite female performers to hit #1 with their debut single

Yes, you can't deny it. And the song is a smash to this day.

It made some noise because of its controversial topic. Anyway, Hot n Cold is bigger in Europe and I still hear that on radio.

but it's not her debut single though

• Like 4

Well yes, but by the same token, there are as many debut singles from MPGs as there are MPGs themselves.

That being said, it was undeniably huge and a massive debut single by any metric.

1 minute ago, blackstar said:

It is her debut single. This was a promo song released in 2007 to generate interest in her, not her official debut single

• Like 1

Yes and you should say it

54 minutes ago, prézli said:

It made some noise because of its controversial topic. Anyway, Hot n Cold is bigger in Europe and I still hear that on radio.

No? IKAG sold the same or more across all of Europe. Maybe Hot N Cold gets more airplay 

Her biggest hit along with Hot N Cold in Europe :bird: Also from her best album. Rock chick Katy was something else 

1 hour ago, prézli said:

It made some noise because of its controversial topic.

No, the melody and production have stood the test of time. 

OT: Yes 

Credit where credit is due, this is a timeless banger

yes it launched the career of one of the most successful and acclaimed pop stars of all time 

i remember my mom being repulsed when she was switching through the radio stations one day and the hook was playing and she was like "WHAT THE ****" lmao this song + video is iconic af

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blackstar said:

I had to look it up again but you're wrong. I kissed a girl was the debut single. Ur so gay was released as an EP not a single. 

2 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

The way it spent 7 weeks at #1 too making her one of the few elite female performers to hit #1 with their debut single

OH WOOWWW!!! We have no other option to STAN the 143 album maker (AVAILABLE EVERYWHERE NOW!!) 

It's always funny replaying OOTB and hearing songs that are more rough around the edges in terms of production, but then you suddenly encounter IKAG with its polished Max Martin production.

OT: Yes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.