Madonna was a bigger album seller than Britney in the digital era. Why?

momal

Madonna bigger album seller than Britney in the digital era.  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Why?

• Better music
    • Bigger fanbase
    • Chasing trends and collaborating with younger artists
    • More talented and unique
    • More cohesive sounding albums

whether or not there was diminishing returns, Madonna albums were always events.  MDNA was bundled with the tour, and immediately following her legendary Superbowl performance, so that was a bullseye week even if GMAYL was not setting the charts on fire.  I think it sold 350k first week. 

• Like 1

Madonna is Madonna. Britney didn't want to make those albums, didn't want to promote them and didn't want to tour them. The lack of enthusiasm and investment was obvious, especially from FF on so the comparison is pointless.

• Like 3

I can't believe no one's seeing through the OP's BS.

He hates Madonna and Britney, so this thread is a pitiful attempt to get both fanbases (who are usually very civil with each other) fighting.

It's pathetic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Madonna is an artist.

Britney is a product.

The fact that you've been peddling this lie for over a decade despite constantly getting clocked for it. You are truly the Donald Trump of ATRL.

4 hours ago, momal said:

Yes. Since this site uses Chartmasters, according to him MDNA did 1.85 million while FF did 1.68 million in pure sales.

Chartmasters was overestimating sales in 2017 which is why all numbers went down when they revised numbers. Madonna's numbers are inflated on ChartMasters.

3 hours ago, LadyDiana said:

I think we underestimate how good that album did. For lack of promotion from her side. It was basicaly an excuse for a superbown performance and a new tour

That's because it didn't do well. 135k from the U.S. are free giveaways that would not count for the charts today. You cannot compare ticket-bundles when they're just free digital downloads. That would be like adding illegal downloads from Femme Fatale to its pure sales.

3 minutes ago, Charmed Life said:

I can't believe no one's seeing through the OP's BS.

He hates Madonna and Britney, so this thread is a pitiful attempt to get both fanbases (who are usually very civil with each other) fighting.

It's pathetic.

I think we all see through it. She's a Gaga stan and there's a reason she doesn't want to compare Gaga to Madonna or Britney.

Still, the OP is factually wrong and it's important to clock that.

Circus outsold Hard Candy. 
Femme Fatale outsold MDNA.

Britney Jean sold on-par with Rebel Heart (RH is highly inflated on CM).

Glory outsold Madame X.

Celebration outsold TSC, but it's highly inflated on ChartMasters. It was certified for 600k, which is sales plus streams, but CM cited that as a source for pure sales only.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, A-V-XYZ said:

Madonna sold more album units than Britney in the 90s and 2000s too. Madonna has always stomped on Britney.

It's an incredibly common fact that Britney was the #1 female album seller of the 2000s and Madonna was #2. If you're going to lie, at least put a little more effort in.

80s: Madonna

90s: Madonna

00s: Britney

10s: Britney

20s: Britney

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Eternium said:

You are truly the Donald Trump of ATRL.

Oh believe me nobody does ATRL like I do. Some people are saying it, a lot of people. My posts? Tremendous. The best posts of all time. Everyone knows it. 

Sad that others try to compete, but they just can't! They're failing, big time! 

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Oh believe me nobody does ATRL like I do. Some people are saying it, a lot of people. My posts? Tremendous. The best posts of all time. Everyone knows it. 

Sad that others try to compete, but they just can't! They're failing, big time! 

I take everything back. I'd show up to your rally (for a small fee).

A- Madonna had amazing consistency. While Britney was declining album after album. 
B-Madonnas album sales were global, while Britney's biggest market for albums was the US. Circus for example sold 1.7m in the US and 3.7m WW while Hard Candy did less than 800k in the US and 3.4m WW. Her hits were also bigger WW. 
C- Madonna had a much bigger fanbase. 

5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Yea. BOMT has between 25-30 million sales, and that puts it within the same range as Madonna's best-selling studio album, True Blue (I'm not saying this makes her as big or bigger than Madonna, just that not many MPGs after Madonna's generation can boast of such a record). This girl did not mess around during her peak :rip: Even after everything in the mid-00s, she was still a household name, competing with MPGs of the new generation (KP, LG, Rihanna), had her first series of #1s between 2008-2011, and embarked on what was one of the highest grossing female tours at the time. 

I really wonder how her career could've been had it not been for the unfortunate knee injury 

BOMT sold 24m with club sales included (4m from those). She also has 2 other albums selling 20m and a greatest hit with 30m. Mind you Britney debuted during the peak of album sales while Madonna didn't. 

Their albums sale from 2008 onward seem pretty much on par, what gives Britney the edge is all the hits she collected during those eras. Even 2016's "Make Me" was a top 20 platinum US hit. 

Also, we're not gonna lie and pretend albums such as MDNA were acceptable offerings from a woman with such such an impressive run from 92 to '03. Even Hard Candy and Rebel Heart were filled with fillers, in spite of a few great songs here and there. 

Circus, Femme Fatale and Glory are so much more enjoyable, better sung and produced. Even the basic  melodic aspect is stronger, in comparison to M's. Same with the bonus tracks which were never a strength in Madonna's work. Femme Fatale alone sounds like what MDNA was trying to embody, or what the hyper pop sound the BIM 2015's single tried, more or less, to pull off... 

Really, I'm all for saying Madonna's 83-'03 run is only behind Janet's for the best pop female discography ever created. Probably tied with Mariah, come to think of it. But her later work leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least (contrarily to Janet and Mariah, for example, give or take one subpar album). 

All and all, Britney's IMO = higher highs and better quality control. As for Madonna = lower lows and too much fillers, unfortunately. I'll try to listen to Madame X, once again, to see where it fits in all of this. 

On 9/29/2024 at 2:52 PM, Blackout2006 said:

I mean, we'll need to have the stats of an album that came out from the same timeline with recently updated sales to compare that, which I doubt we do. Idk tho, I feel Circus could have accumulated 500,000+ sales since.

According to Nielsen numbers, Circus sold 1,104,343 copies in 2008 (ranking as the 24th best seller of the year), and 535,396 copies in 2009 (ranking 57th for the year). That brings its 2000s total to 1,639,739 copies. Most of the sales occurred in the first half of 2009, and by early 2010 the album was averaging less than 500 copies per week in the US. When her figures were next updated in June 2013, Circus' total stood at 1,692,000 copies. That's 52,000 copies sold over 3.5 years, meaning it averaged just over 250 copies in the US per week. When Billboard last updated Britney in May 2020, Circus stood at just over 1.7 million copies sold. The album has therefore sold less than 100,000 copies in the US in the past 15 years. Considering the album sold between 40% to 50% of its total sales in the US alone, its hard to think the album sold another 400,000 globally in that span.

• Like 1

Madonna is legendary, Queen Mother of Pop

Edited by Shimenawa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.