The Fame/The Fame Monster : two distinct albums?

MP3

Is The Fame and The Fame Monster a single album or two separate ones?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider The Fame and The Fame Monster as a single album or two separate ones?

THE FAME

Lady_Gaga_%E2%80%93_The_Fame_album_cover.png

Released : August 19, 2008

Singles : 5

THE FAME MONSTER

The_Fame_Monster.png

Released : November 18, 2009

Singles : 4

While it is often considered as one album or as a reissue from medias, charts and music analysts, both albums feel very different in many aspects.

Musically, The Fame is more oriented on the fun side of pop with catchy choruses and classic pop song structures while The Fame Monster has a more complex musicality and more elaborate melodies.

It's clear it is two distinct eras, the aesthetics being at complete opposite and visuals from The Fame Monster really propulsed Gaga's artistic imagery. At the same time, TFM has only 8 songs, which is kinda short for an album, but it could be considered as a standalone EP instead of a continuation of TF. One year and three months separate the two releases, which is enough to be considered as two albums.

Are TF and TFM two distinct albums?

• Like 2

For me they are different, completely different moods.

But for bragging rights, I consider them one!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

The problem is that they were sold as both a re-issue and a standalone and in some countries only as a reissue. Gaga considers TFM her second album and it is distinctively it's own project so that's how I view it but officially there's no definitive answer. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I get why they decided to bundle the two together, they probably wanted to take advantage of the success she had with The Fame, but I wish they would have just released it as a stand alone project only since they are so distinctly different.

• Like 4

I always saw The Fame Monster as a continuation of The Fame in EP form and deluxe. When Bad Romance came out it wasn't treated as the lead single of her new album which is why Born This Way smashed so hard from the get-go because it was promoted as a lead single. But I still view it as part of the same project. Although in hindsight it would've been better to add two more songs and call it a new album. 

For sales it's considered what the label wanted: one project. But regardless if you split them into two, one or the other sold 20 million units so it's a smash regardless. And that's without the units from the singles' performances on the internet when they were peaking which makes the album/albums' sales even more impressive. 

Edited by Doctor Dick
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

They are obv two completely separate albums (even the Grammys agree)

also one is about the positive side of fame and the other is the complete opposite which is very iconic to me

• Like 2

The albums were bundled together in some countries, hence why they're sometimes counted as one album :celestial5:

This conversation still happening in 2024 is making me scream :dies: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

cd5c1d_987b938e9419410e925d08c2548956eb~mv2.png

LG1: the fame

LG2: the fame monster

LG3: born this way

LG4: artpop

LG5: joanne

LG6: chromatica

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, gatito said:

Ugh this font and style, so cheap looking 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, gatito said:

Yeah but her label screwed this up. Now LG2 is an EP instead of a full-length studio album that also has low first week album sales because it was promoted as such. 

Edited by Doctor Dick

Aesthetically, conceptually, and most importantly, contractually, TFM is its own body of work and LG2. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

one album even though their sounds are different on their own. tfm was a re-issue of the fame. after its huge success ga ga went to interscope, make them paper gangstas count TFM as her sophomore and re-sign her contract. hope this helps cause this discussion should've been ended in 2009 :rip:

The Fame > The Fame Monster

I felt The Fame was more natural, and it wasn't too in-your-face with Lady Gaga pulling off theatrics nearly every day.

The Fame Monster felt over-the-top.

I also liked the pop-rock and alt-rock songs on The Fame.

57 minutes ago, Katamari said:

This conversation still happening in 2024 is making me scream :dies: 

Make you scream one album or two?

• Haha 4

Two separate albums. 

Besides the obvious difference in theme and aesthetic, TFM is objectively an LP. It's almost 35 min long and 8 tracks long. LPs need to be at least 7 songs and 30 min long.

Somewhat unrelated but I consider Paradise its own album too for those reasons 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MP3 said:

THE FAME MONSTER

The_Fame_Monster.png

Released : November 18, 2009

Singles : 4

?? There were only 3 singles. 

19 minutes ago, Janet said:

?? There were only 3 singles. 

Dance In The Dark was released in some countries I think

No offense but do you guys like, listen to any other artists/albums? These albums are nearing 20 years old. Who cares. 

OT: Two albums

They are two albums and in retrospect TFM should have been promoted as her sophomore album

it would have broken more records and sold more

:giraffe:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, _Fey said:

No offense but do you guys like, listen to any other artists/albums? These albums are nearing 20 years old. Who cares. 

OT: Two albums

Even if it was the case, is there a problem with it?

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.