Dua Lipa explains why her music is not too personal in the 60 Minutes interview

RedOne

3 hours ago, WEEKND said:

Fortnight, Anti Hero and Cruel Summer aren't overtly personal. 

??? anti hero? not personal?

"did you hear my covert narcissism i disguised as altruism" isn't personal?

Edited by yonsé
  • Like 4

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• ariananext

• Solaria

• Matchatea

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair it seems like singing songs about your personal tragedies repeatedly on a multi leg tour would take an emotional toll, i wouldn't want to be constantly taken back to that mindset but all respect to artists vulnerable enough 

• Like 1

it's not because of that, it's because it makes celebrities "artists" seem human dealing with human feelings anyone can relate to. 

The only way we can all relate to Dua is when we book holiday.... :swim:

• Haha 1

I feel like trying to be too intimate and relatable in every song actually makes you less relatable. Vague lyrics can be very impactful, they allow the listener to connect to the music in their own way. 

Edited by Reginald
  • Like 2

I agree that her music doesn't have to be personal to make it good, BUT I do think she lacks narrative~

Britney is a great example of how her music wasn't literal to her life, but had songs that played to the narrative of 'Britney' the character.

All she has to do is release Radical Optimism (Vacanza Edition) with a new single about partying on vacation and she'd be all set :laugh:

• Like 2

Making unpersonal music isn't gonna do her any favors , it will in fact alienate her from her fan base and preventing her from gaining new fans.

People want to connect with artists , they don't just listen for a good hook or a great beat. Look at Ariana , Sabrina , Billie etc.. people do really connect with them and their journeys.

Her strategy and all this album campaign has been boring,  uneventful and sad to witness... so much wasted potential.

Edited by MaxMartin
  • Like 1

I appreciate her not washing her dirty laundry in public like everyone else. She makes great fun music.

• Like 3

This could've been about Adele, Taylor or Olivia Rodrigo since they are those types of artists that will write diaristic songs implying heavily who it is about. Gaga, Rihanna, Sabrina and Beyoncé (apart from the Lemonade album) have always made songs without implying or hinting at someone specific. Dua could be that type of artist but she would need to have a personality like Rihanna or Gaga. She's not relatable in her music or her person so it would be fun if she started to showcase her personality a bit more in interviews. She's too posh and bland. 

Edited by Doctor Dick
  • Like 1

Look Dua made some great music back in the pre and during covid days but the reason i connected with her was because of her break up song dont start now,idgaf and new rules were inspired by her ex... so in some weird way this invalidates wgat she just said and funnily enough her drama free and music per say i did not connect all during RO era, also the music was lazy because she would prefer taking holidays than work her ass off. 

6 hours ago, yonsé said:

??? anti hero? not personal?

"did you hear my covert narcissism i disguised as altruism" isn't personal?

That's as vague as it gets. And whether that applies to her or not is not known. What is known is that millions or perhaps billions can relate. 

Something personal would be the entirety of the Lemonade album I fear. 

• Like 1

I thought she was referring to using your music to bury the people no longer in your life in a very public way and your personal life overshadowing the music. taylor is very guilty of this, there's more discussion on who the songs are about than how good the songs are.

• Thanks 2

• ATRL Moderator

All she has to do is make a song about going on vacation, traveling, and partying and everyone would be like: “that’s so Dua Lipa!”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not every music have to be personal or relatable. A bop is a bop.

But her comment is reallly pick me vibe. Why not just saying relatable personal lyrics is not what she is going for instead of kinda dragging the artist that does it to make herself look better.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WEEKND said:

That's as vague as it gets. And whether that applies to her or not is not known. What is known is that millions or perhaps billions can relate. 

she's literally speaking in the first person. why would it NOT apply to herself? 

open the schools........

On 9/16/2024 at 11:23 AM, Lady Claire said:

And she's 100% right. Not every song has to be personal. I couldn't care less for the personal lives of my favorite artists, if they're happy and healthy then this is all that matters. The rest is all of their own business and they don't own anything to anyone.

You don't have to create rElAtAbLe lyrics to make art.

On top of that, Dua is hot, rich and seems to have an amazing life. Why write depressing, super sad songs if she isn't?

Frankly, I'd go one step further and acknowledge that art doesn't have to be directly about the artist's life be relatable

Dua Lipa so confused about whether or not her music is personal, and whether or not that's a good thing. :psyduck:

5 minutes ago, Achilles. said:

Dua Lipa so confused about whether or not her music is personal, and whether or not that's a good thing. :psyduck:

That doesn't really contradict what she's saying now though. Her saying it's her most personal music to date can still be true without it being overly personal or going into great detail about her life. She put as much of her personality/experiences into her music as she felt comfortable to.

• Like 3

The way she didn't say anything about Taylor at all and hasn't shaded Taylor at all so everyone in here is grasping at straws as usual :rip: 

Rih became one of the biggest stars without making super personal music. It really wasn't till Rated R that we got some personal stuff, and that album underperformed with the only major hit being a completely impersonal sex bop lol.

The risk with being GP-fueled is that you have to keep them on your side with consistent releases and music they like. If Dua can do that, she'll be just fine. And if she can't, she's rich and beautiful, she'll be fine. 

• Like 2

For me, the most revealing part of the interview was when she talked about how when she was 15, she moved from Kosovo back to the UK all on her own so she could pursue being a pop star. Like doing this is so unusual and kind of weird, but she and her dad just brushed it off like, ha ha she's just really determined. Then Dua is right back to being her measured and composed self, like Madonna in her London era

She's lucky there was a worldwide pandemic and all the gays had to listen to were her and Chromatica because this girl is as dull as they come. This confirms.

as someone that doesn't really care for overly personal lyricism i like dua's approach to her songwriting and just because it's not trauma dumping her life into her music doesn't make it any less 'personable' if that makes sense? you still get a sense of her world and life through her music and world building. 

On 9/16/2024 at 5:07 PM, mike_int said:

Dua´s music is for people who have their own life and dont need to feast on sensations of fabricated celebrity lives, scandals, immature beefs and relationships

giphy.gif

Are Dua stans themselves aware of this? :clown: 

1 hour ago, Khal said:

Are Dua stans themselves aware of this? :clown: 

I dont know, Im not stanning anyone, I like music of many artists but "stanning" is again for people who dont have much to do in their own lives

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.