Dua Lipa explains why her music is not too personal in the 60 Minutes interview

RedOne

2 minutes ago, StayFrosty said:

I mean...Taylor wrote like 30 tracks about a dude she banged for 2 months. Dua is right. 

I wonder how many times they actually banged, cause looking at Taylor... ok Im not saying anything LOL

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• ariananext

• Solaria

• Matchatea

Top Posters In This Topic

"Personal" isn't just about who you're dating or who your exes are tho. Beyoncé's music is also personal cause you know exactly that her music could only come from her and/or is specific to her life experiences or POVs. Personal does not just equal relatable.

Anderson Cooper himself says in that interview that Dua's songs don't have a "sense of who you are" and that's kind of true. Compared to the veteran pop icons, and even most of the newer pop girls, Dua's music lacks personality or a unique identity where you could go "Ah, this is definitely a Dua Lipa song" or "this song is very Dua Lipa-ish". :lakitu:

Edited by Feanor
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, swissman said:

I don't think she's talking about raw emotions and feelings but allusions and lyrical easter eggs and associating a song to a fellow celebrity in order for it to gain more traction than it otherwise would have.

THIS !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Dua´s music is for people who have their own life and dont need to feast on sensations of fabricated celebrity lives, scandals, immature beefs and relationships

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess that's one way to get people to remember they released an album.

Taking a cue from the Olivia Rodplagorizerhastobringuptaylorswiftineveryinterviewwhatever it is bc nobody remembers her.

I don't think she was trying to call out Taylor specifically, but I'm not Dua so... who knows.

But I do think she's mistaken about personal songs. It doesn't have to mean that an artist does it for attention and it certainly isn't  always trying to put someone on blast. I mean, sometimes writing music is just a great coping mechanism, and putting it out into the world can be like having a physical way of "letting go" of whatever was weighing on the artist.

But "personal" music doesn't always have to be negative... Anyway, that's just my two cents:coffee:

"Important to make music that people really love" and yet she made Radical Optimism :fan:

nnn I don't hate RO and I'm gonna try to go to her tour but I haven't listened to any of it in months

Edited by ALA

If Dua involved any kind of personal touch in her songwriting, she would probably be in a better position than she is now.

• Haha 1

This could apply to any pop girl who writes that way but you know certain fanbase would've been triggered either way.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

If Dua involved any kind of personal touch in her songwriting, she would probably be in a better position than she is now.

Selling out arenas and stadiums in minutes?

I think she is fine ;)

2 minutes ago, PoisonPill said:

giphy.gif

Dua may very well be in the exact position she wants to be in. Not everyone wants Taylor's level of fame/success.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Selling out arenas and stadiums in minutes?

I think she is fine ;)

I never said she isn't fine :) I said her career might be in a better position than it is currently.

by songwriter's standard, it's quite rare they will admit they were the problem among a relationship therefore final products mastered songs mostly are going to be FAKE for fandom clues imaginary conspiracy all the time. obviously dua is right to call out on that perspective which now reduces artists to cheap gossip tabloid highlights / chart numbers battle instead of enjoying the music. 

Sabrina, Olivia, Ariana, billie etc wrote their songs so I don't get why you guys assume she's solely talking about tay, she's not the first and the last artist to do so. You can't say she has no personality and get triggered about her opinion.

spacer.png

Edited by Dialamba

1 hour ago, Lady Claire said:

On top of that, Dua is hot, rich and seems to have an amazing life. Why write depressing, super sad songs if she isn't?

Dua? Write? :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mike_int said:

Dua´s music is for people who have their own life and dont need to feast on sensations of fabricated celebrity lives, scandals, immature beefs and relationships

giphy.gif

Looks like Radical optimism was for nobody. 

She does write music about her personal life (Happy for You, Maria, These Walls… well, at least according to her) I think she just doesn't want her personal life to become a mess just for publicity. You guys know damn well some artists Taylor, Olivia, Sabrina, Ariana are not only writing about their personal life, because it's so authentic and relatable, it's because they know it's going to cause a conversation and their fans will attack whoever they're writing for. And they don't care, it's all about the publicity. I mean Taylor Swift was asking for her fans to not attack John Mayer 10 years later :skull: I get it why Dua doesn't want something like that for her. 

Edited by k4rmabutterfly

2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Looks like Radical optimism was for nobody. 

I dont know, I really enjoyed it on my holidays in Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Morroco ever since it was released.

Try it as well ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

I dont know, I really enjoyed it on my holidays in Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Morroco ever since it was released.

Try it as well ;)

Good 4 u 

I mean it's kinda telling how musically limited she is if she can only two directions of either fun sexy upbeat pop or sad acoustic breakup songs, and there's nothing in between. 

You can only go so far in the industry by presenting yourself as an pretty empty vessel and just doing "bops". If your music has no real personality, no evolution, there's always a fresh new thing coming around the corner that can do the same thing and take your spot. And that's exactly what happened to her.

Stop making everything about Taylor challenge :coffee2:

Her new album received mixed reviews for not being 'too personal' and 'not playing into the current game' of ventilating everything about her private life. This is just her response about that :giraffe:

Edited by BrokenMachine

1 hour ago, Solaria said:

She never singled out Taylor. Cheap attempt at a fight. No maam! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.