Dua Lipa explains why her music is not too personal in the 60 Minutes interview

RedOne

21 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

Someone should tell Dua that nobody cares about her. She has not persona, she is a playlist/radio filler and nothing out that. All the girls coming later like Chapell, Sabrina getting fandoms and sales while she never has the ability to debut high 

Not only is she súper smart and sweet, but also authentic, humble and never afraid of speaking her mind. And she got to the top even in the US being an inmigrant to the UK.

Not a stan of her but not everyone who disagrees with Taylor -supposing this was really about Taylor- is automatically worth of your insults and disrespect. 

• Thanks 5

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• ariananext

• Solaria

• Matchatea

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Venice B said:

This could literally mean any singer songwritter. I think displaying such raw emotions and feelings and situations in a song requires a lot of vulnerability, which Dua might not have and that's okay.

I don't think she's talking about raw emotions and feelings but allusions and lyrical easter eggs and associating a song to a fellow celebrity in order for it to gain more traction than it otherwise would have.

• Like 5

and this is why her career isn't gonna last and she has yet to solidify a strong fanbase, she either doesn't understand that we live in a time of music where authenticity and personality are what get people hooked on you as an artist, when people listened to chappell's alboom they immediately knew who that girl is and what her story is, that's what they fell in love with... if dua refuses to bare her soul like that and be vulnerable and revealing she is gonna end up katy perry'd FAST 

no one's saying she needs to go as extreme as taylor, she doesn't need to blast anyone or go full easter eggs, there are a dozen female songwriters just this year who are able to express who they are so much that's why they are still top of the charts while radical optimism is nowhere to be found. just look at charli who wrote her most vulnerable alboom yet, it's not just pure luck or the music being bops that got everyone having a BRAT summer... it's common sense dua idk

Edited by RideOrDie
  • Like 11
  • Thumbs Down 1

33 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

Someone should tell Dua that nobody cares about her. She has not persona, she is a playlist/radio filler and nothing out that. All the girls coming later like Chapell, Sabrina getting fandoms and sales while she never has the ability to debut high 

It took Sabrina 6 albums to have first international hit.

Dua had her first international hit on her first album and is currently on album number 3 and sold out every single venue she announces, including double night in Wembley stadium within minutes or even in pre-sale.

Look in a mirror and ask who between you and Dua is the one that nobody cares about before you go online and make fool of yourself

Edited by mike_int
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

They calling Dua Lipa fans a nobody…. @Solaria @Dula Peep @tost1 Top Dua Stans of ATRL FIGHT BACK! 

Did Taylor released variants/from the vault/voice memos/Japanese bonus track during her album release or what?

:ryan3:

• Haha 1

I don't think is Taylor's fault.. the ones to blame are her psychotic stans that have a parasocial relationship with her that always create narratives on social media about Taylor's men and it gets out of control, Taylor feeds them though.. but she wants to make bank and her stans love to pretend they are in a relationship with her men and they are entitled to drag them.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

See I love Dua and I get what she's going for, but the way she's framing things feels very disingenuous... she's acting as if everyone who "[decides] to put it all out in a song" is doing so for the sole purpose of attention seeking, selling records, "clickbait" etc. :rip:

People have different approaches and boundaries when drawing inspiration from their own experiences and that's fine!

• Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

and this is why her career isn't gonna last and she has yet to solidify a strong fanbase, she either doesn't understand that we live in a time of music where authenticity and personality are what get people hooked on you as an artist, when people listened to chappell's alboom they immediately knew who that girl is and what her story is, that's what they fell in love with... if dua refuses to bare her soul like that and be vulnerable and revealing she is gonna end up katy perry'd FAST 

no one's saying she needs to go as extreme as taylor, there are a dozen female songwriters just this year who are able to express who they are so much that's why they are still top of the charts while radical optimism is nowhere to be found. just look at charli who wrote her most vulnerable alboom yet, it's not just pure luck or the music being bops that got everyone having a BRAT summer... it's common sense dua idk

I respectfully disagree. The game rn is also about supply and demand. In an off year, where there is less competition, she can still be a flash in the pan. Good, quality pop music will almost always be rewarded. 

• Like 1

Personal music doesn't mean you have to put someone on blast. Personal music can also mean introspective lyrics about one's journey through whatever. She really is a one dimensional artist.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• ATRL Moderator

I'm not convinced she was trying to shade Taylor or anyone in particular. I do think the point is... poorly communicated though. If you have an aversion to anecdotal songwriting, that's perfectly fine. A lot of the greatest artists of all time approached songwriting in a more universal way or from a place of sentiment rather than personal experience/narrative.

However, I don't know that it's fair to assume artists who choose to infuse their own lives into their music are doing so purely for attention, headlines, or clicks. Which, I know she's not saying explicitly, but at the end of the day these are all signed mainstream artists who, while I'm sure love music, are making commercial products with the intention of garnering attention, headlines, and clicks. It can, and often is, a case of two things being true at the same time. Artists will use the tools they've acquired to sell their product, but that doesn't inherently mean their work possesses or lacks validity. How an artist chooses to approach their craft is their choice, and that choice doesn't explicitly demonstrate authenticity or lack thereof. 

I guess the idea that doesn't sit right with me about this quote is that you can never fully know someone's motivations, even in cases where you think you do. And even if your assumptions are correct and someone is putting aspects of their life on full display for one reason or another, it's still their choice and it still doesn't make their material good, bad, or anything. Whether a work is inspired by a true event, unapologetically calls out someone, is a complete fabrication or something else entirely, doesn't really impact its worth. Whether that work inspires people, moves them, elicits reactions, etc. that's what matters more (at least to me). 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ariananext said:

Yeah because Matty Healy and Travis Kelce are so inspiring :rip:

The way Imperfect for you is most likely about Ethan and it's one of her best songs in her discography…. :WAP:

• Like 3

Just now, Solaria said:

I respectfully disagree. The game rn is also about supply and demand. In an off year, where there is less competition, she can still be a flash in the pan. Good, quality pop music will almost always be rewarded. 

if she and her fans are happy being a flash in the pan then sure, i'm not saying she will never have another hit or two or have people checking out her albooms, but this is NOT how you build an artistic identity or the foundation to a long career with strong legacy. this is nothing to do with supply and demand or oversaturation of releases, great artists and quality music that people find authentic will always cut through, that's why lana is one of the biggest female artists atm without a single billboard hot 100 achievement that atrl loses itself over

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

She didn't even bring up Taylor Swift but if the shoe FITS well

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SharGaga said:

Personal music doesn't mean you have to put someone on blast. Personal music can also mean introspective lyrics about one's journey through whatever. She really is a one dimensional artist.

I think what she meant was that many artists are very public about their relationships and every step of it and feeding tabloids and their fans with it.

Dua also have songs about love and break-ups etc. but since she is keeping her relationships private we dont know exactly what song is about and also she is not giving all the little details for people to speculate.

I think it is pretty clear Dua has chose different way than just to be typical show pony pop-star, if more people would check her podcast or books she recommends they would understand, but I understand for majority of people is more exciting to read tabloids and watch paparazzi photos to get some sensation rather that talk about books.

• Like 6

I mean...Taylor wrote like 30 tracks about a dude she banged for 2 months. Dua is right. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Wow. I'll need to see the video to get more of the tone/context. But this makes her seem so bitter. She has her own style. Other artists have theirs. To act high & mighty bc your music is anonymous & generic.. it's so backwards

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.