Dua Lipa explains why her music is not too personal in the 60 Minutes interview

RedOne

There are so many artists who use their personal lives as inspiration in their songs, so I hope she wasn't thinking of just Taylor when she said this.

• Like 1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike_int

• ariananext

• Solaria

• Matchatea

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys don't go ONE day without pitting two women against each other… it's sick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

I think she's moreso talking about this era of tabloid pop where, let's be very real here, if Olivia and Sabrina's lyrics weren't connected to other celebs they wouldn't be successful 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This could literally mean any singer songwritter. I think displaying such raw emotions and feelings and situations in a song requires a lot of vulnerability, which Dua might not have and that's okay.

6 minutes ago, ICLDXU4HS said:

Yesss!!! Dua!!! :jonny5:

Dua HATES Swift! :heart:

I'm sure you'd love that cause it would feed your Regina George syndrome, but you have no actual proof that Dua hates Taylor :heart: Just a lame attempt by the OP to get a hit thread. 

Edited by Dear Reader
  • Like 2

What most people don't understand is that Dua knows the pop game better than everyone. Her songs are meant to be this larger than life, escapist pop songs, she knows thats what her fans love and she is one of the best at it.

I can completely understand why someone would find her uninteresting as a person. But as far as pop music goes, she's a master at it. That's undeniable, regardless of if RO flopped or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Also you can't deny that since Midnights swifties are more obsessed with Taylor's personal life than her music. As soon as an album comes out the first thing they do is dissecting the lyrics instead of enjoying and discussing the music itself. Maybe y'all feel offended because you feel called out. 

Edited by ariananext
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Also I just know this is one of those quotes which come back to bite the artist in the *** as she will for sure release a confessional album at some point in her career, how long will she be able to release the same dance bops? the GP is already bored 

Edited by burninredhot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, ariananext said:

Also you can't deny that since Midnights swifties are more obsessed with Taylor's personal life than her music. As soon as an album comes out the first thing they do is dissecting the lyrics instead of enjoying and discussing the music itself. Maybe y'all feel offended because you feel called out. 

Honestly, Swifties have done this since 2009 or even before. I remember being interested in her personal life by the Red era and the fact that her lyrics are very personal. Having said that, Dua has no need to shade Taylor. She knows better than that, please :rip:

1 minute ago, burninredhot said:

Also I just know this is one of those quotes which will come back to bite the artist in the *** as she will for sure release a confessional album at some point in her career, how long will she be able to release the same dance bops? the GP is already bored 

The GP is not bored. She doesn't have the same demand right now because the lane she carved with Future Nostalgia isn't exclusive to her anymore, Sabrina and Chappell are the hot girls right now. 

If the GP was truly bored she wouldn't still be selling out tour dates. ATRL and the stan world in general is so obsessed with painting this narrative that Dua is the next Katy, but we've seen plenty of proof to confirm that that is not true. Plus she will ALWAYS be a household name in Europe.

• Like 5

Click bait. This is not shade against Taylor but an explanation of artistic choices. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JorgeM said:

Someone should tell Dua that nobody cares about her. She has not persona, she is a playlist/radio filler and nothing out that. All the girls coming later like Chapell, Sabrina getting fandoms and sales while she never has the ability to debut high 

Talking about having no persona in a Taylor Swift topic is something :rip:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, burninredhot said:

Also I just know this is one of those quotes which come back to bite the artist in the *** as she will for sure release a confessional album at some point in her career, how long will she be able to release the same dance bops? the GP is already bored 

well it'll only be hypocritical if she does it at "someone's expense" which is what she described as being part of what she's not doing.

yes, at some point there will be a "the most personal album yet" moment as everyone has, but that can cover a great many styles of "personal" and for her, since she doesn't do confessional-style music, any little bit will be seen as such.

• Thanks 1

She did not lie tbh

spacer.png

But i think there's a distinct difference between Writing songs about your personal life vs Exploiting your personal life and running PR campaign to promote your songs

Like I don't think anybody ever knows that Sabrina dated Shawn, and suddenly the whole world is talking this supposed love triangle :rip: :rip: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ariananext said:

I mean no one wants to dissect the lyrics about spongebob

IMG_1297.thumb.gif.b44ea8e1028fce119bf63

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

14 minutes ago, ICLDXU4HS said:

Yesss!!! Dua!!! :jonny5:

Dua HATES Swift! :heart:

I wish there was a "laugh at" react :deadbanana4:

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Solaria said:

She never singled out Taylor. Cheap attempt at a fight. No maam! 

She didnt have to haha

but it applies to others as well tbh

That is what I like about Dua, she is not willing to exploit her personal life and relationships and beefs with other artists to sell music. 

It says enough of her maturity.

• Like 3

Just now, Solaria said:

The GP is not bored. She doesn't have the same demand right now because the lane she carved with Future Nostalgia isn't exclusive to her anymore, Sabrina and Chappell are the hot girls right now. 

If the GP was truly bored she wouldn't still be selling out tour dates. ATRL and the stan world in general is so obsessed with painting this narrative that Dua is the next Katy, but we've seen plenty of proof to confirm that that is not true. Plus she will ALWAYS be a household name in Europe.

The tour dates selling out is a result of her Future Nostalgia singles still being very relevant among the GP. Nobody is buying tickets thanks to Training Season or Illusion.

Also where did I imply she's the next Katy? I just expect that she will release a confessional album at some point (if she's smart) and that's the way artists reinvent themselves in music

• Confused 1

Anyway this title is inaccurate... a "they know that it's gonna attract people's attention", "doing it for the clickbait" tea I fear

:suburban:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dear Reader said:

Honestly, Swifties have done this since 2009 or even before. I remember being interested in her personal life by the Red era and the fact that her lyrics are very personal. Having said that, Dua has no need to shade Taylor. She knows better than that, please :rip:

Yes I know it's always been a thing, but in the past few years it has gotten out of control and this habit has overshadowed what should matter the most aka her music as a form of art and not just as a window on her personal life. 

I love that her music speaks to people, it does that to me, I love that I can relate to it, and that's the reason why we all connect with her (and I connect more with Taylor's music than Dua's), but it's valid for Dua not to want the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, enchanted0 said:

I mean no one wants to dissect the lyrics about spongebob

IMG_1297.thumb.gif.b44ea8e1028fce119bf63

Yeah because Matty Healy and Travis Kelce are so inspiring :rip:

• Haha 13

she sounds mad after flop

5dc04ce00c33a000081b8649-Image-from-i-OS

those are basically two approaches to music, why is she condemning it... AND taylor's music, while personal, is still very relatable because it's so detailed :skull: (also she's not the only one making "personal" music lol).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.