Ever find yourself find or revisit old songs that mention world issues still current?

Vixen Eyes

for example im re-listening to this (fantasic btw) live album recorded in 1989 and she mentions the time she spent in a hotel between Palistinians and Israelis :rip:

starts at about 2:00 but really listen to the full song cos its an amazing vocal performance (she was about 62 years old here)

• Thanks 3

What a cool thread idea.

Going Backwards by Depeche Mode has grown so much on me, since its release. I think it's one of the most important songs they've released in the last 25 years, they were very forward-thinking, with the realization that society was going backwards.

Edited by Reginald
  • Like 1

WHERE IS THE LOVE, THE LOVE, THE LOVE?

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maxxxine said:

Janet - Livin' in a world (they didn't make) from Rhythm Nation. America really hasn't changed :sad:

even State of the World hits :( 

• Like 1

When I heard State of the World by Janet Jackson and there was a line about shootings. It was just shocking since it's always portrayed as a recent problem

41 minutes ago, Nightingale said:

It was just shocking since it's always portrayed as a recent problem

I feel like since we have the internet, which is a huge platform that enables any kind of news to reach pretty much everybody, you're able to hear about a lot of things that go on outside of your state more than you were able to back then.

To my surprise, there were other school shootings that happened in the 90s before Columbine but it seems as if these incidents didn't receive major coverage outside of the city/state it happened in. There were also shootings at malls that happened in Utah and Washington in the 2000s but I doubt anyone outside of those states know about it. 

These kind of incidents are nothing new, you're just able to hear about it more often due to the news being able to reach a bigger audience instead of just locally.

This song isn't that old but the way she talks about the Boston Marathon bombing from 2013 by saying "One man can build a bomb, another run a race, To save somebody's life and have it blow up in his face" is really clever. This song has always been a personal favorite of mine. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.