Hilary Duff's self-titled album changed the game for Disney Channel artists

MikeyDuff1D

The success of Metamorphosis allowed Duff to make a significant — and edgier – pivot. Along with Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, and Ashlee Simpson, she became a crucial figure in the pop-rock genre with her self-titled sophomore effort, released on Sept. 15, 2004. She fully embraced the pop-punk attitude with a harder, guitar-driven sound and mature lyrics that dealt with crushes, breakups, and even death.

Singing about wannabe bad boys on "Mr. James Dean" and dramatically outlining a breakup plan on "The Getaway," it was a far cry from the sun-kissed pop of "So Yesterday." While Duff didn't pull off the shocking antics of Cyrus' 2013 Bangerz era (there was no twerking), her messy blonde locks, darker wardrobe, and evolved songcraft made a statement in 2004.

The album specifically made the genre accessible to Disney Channel stars while creating a blueprint for those young actors to shed their child-star image.

Once Duff left Lizzie McGuire and Cyrus became Hannah Montana in 2006, it didn't take long for Cyrus to take up the pop-rock mantle. Her 2007 single "Start All Over," one of her first non-Hannah songs, recalls Duff's "Rock This World" with its electric guitar stabs and catchy hooks.

Months after Cyrus released Plastic Hearts, Olivia Rodrigo was fresh off her Disney+ show, High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, when she stormed the music world with her debut single, "drivers license." Her subsequent album Sour and number one hit, "good 4 u," proved that Rodrigo followed Duff's post-Disney footsteps by bringing back nostalgia-inducing pop-punk.

Sour's rockier tracks and her sophomore album, Guts, recall the defiant teenage angst of "Haters" and the awkward abrasiveness of "Weird."

Read the rest here: https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/hilary-duff-pop-rock-blueprint-miley-cyrus-olivia-rodrigo

Edited by MikeyDuff1D
  • Like 11

Spill :clap3: Fly, Do You Want Me?, Shine, I Am, The Getaway (my favorite song of hers :heart:), Cry, Someone's Watching Over Me, and Jericho are some of my favorite songs by an ex-act. She was also really bold to give us a 17 track album given that most of the Disney pop albums of that era were really short considering they were being marketed towards young girls with presumably short attention spans. It is a ******* pop rock masterpiece and deserves more praise. 

• Like 6

The way this album could have had a better chart run if they give up on it after Fly bombed. 

Whew, Hilary was PACKING punch after punch. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stepfon said:

The way this album could have had a better chart run if they give up on it after Fly bombed. 

Whew, Hilary was PACKING punch after punch. 

They gave up right away even with the music video for Fly being just concert and bts footage. Don't get me wrong, I loved the music video because I was happy that we got a peek at what her life was like around that time and the video went #1 on TRL still, but it just goes to show what the label thought of this era. 

The Getaway is her best song ever

I always imagine the MV for Who's That Girl with a similar style of Kelly Clarkson's Behind Hazel Eyes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well yes!

3 hours ago, MikeyDuff1D said:

Along with Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, and Ashlee Simpson

God I miss when these queens reigned over pop music 

• Like 1

This :clap3:

True!

hilary-01-small-200.thumb.gif.377ffea266

I miss this era, it wasn't a success but really love the mv for Fly and she was so great that with the pop rock sound :katie2:

I'll be bitter and angry for all eternity that we never got an mv for The Getaway and that it wasn't a single :mad:

IWK6.gif 

• Like 3

I remember being gifted this album for Christmas when I was a kid and I overplayed the **** out of it. She was a cutesy pop rock pioneer! :katie2:

Edited by ChooseyLover

Just now, ChooseyLover said:

I remember being gifted this album for Christmas when I was a kid and I overplayed the **** out of it. She was a cutesy pop rock pioneer! :katie2:

MW was my Xmas gift back then. :heart2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoOneDiesFromLove said:

Well yes!

God I miss when these queens reigned over pop music 

Good thing is that I host an Ashlee Simpson Discography Rate which is waiting for participants just like YOU! :eddie:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChooseyLover said:

They gifted it too me too but by accident when I was a kid and asked for  evanescence's fallen album :deadbanana:

But I loved it! It was one of my favorites when I was younger and it still holds UP 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, anastaciabby said:

They gifted it too me too but by accident when I was a kid and asked for  evanescence's fallen album :deadbanana:

But I loved it! It was one of my favorites when I was younger and it still holds UP 

Glad you were open minded to give miss Duff a chance, cause Hilary Duff is no Fallen... :eddie:

24 minutes ago, ChooseyLover said:

Glad you were open minded to give miss Duff a chance, cause Hilary Duff is no Fallen... :eddie:

Ms Duff has so many classics, I already loved her from the Disney videos so she hit!:zsgaymuscat:

And The taste! I was finally able to stop recording the singles from radio to my recorder (back when radio had some variety) and download fallen from limewire and wow what a moment, I learned to fend off computer viruses and got to listen to aotd 

Edited by anastaciabby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fly, The Getaway, Someone's Watching Over Me are all singles-worthy. What a brilliant album.

I remember overplaying Shine and I Am, I mean Hilary SANG on this album.

11 hours ago, Nando_05 said:

The Getaway is her best song ever

I always imagine the MV for Who's That Girl with a similar style of Kelly Clarkson's Behind Hazel Eyes 

yes sis, best song on album :jonny4:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.