Months later; was Usher's Superbowl performance worth the hype?

Josh

We're in September and it doesn't feel like anyone is talking about it anymore compared to pop girl performances

It was good. Not groundbreaking but it didn't need to be. He delivered exactly what people wanted and expected without any left field choices. He's an R&B legend & it felt like a nice summary of who he is as an artist and why he meant so much to so many people who witnessed his peak in the late 90s through early 10s, whether those people are other artists or just the general public.

I just don't think there's as much to consistently talk about with Usher in 2024 as say Bey or Rih who are constantly in the public eye on the most massive scale imaginable and have reached several different eras of re-peaks and virality including fairly recently. Half-time is as much about how popular you are RIGHT NOW as it is your past legacy. 

Usher is on a successful arena tour on the back of his past catalog alone so he is not hurting lol. 

• Thanks 5

It really was. He's a great performer and that was very much needed after the awful headliners that came before him.

What hype? It's true that some people in this forum were delusional thinking that he would do decent. But I knew from the start that he was an uninspired choice for a halftime show. I knew his performance would suck and would be unmemorable. 

And that's exactly what happened. His performarmance sucked and nobody remembers it. The most memorable thing that happened that night was Beyoncé releasing new music.

And I fear another Usher situation is going to happen next year with Kendrick.

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Thumbs Down 1

it was a great performance, he's on a sold out arena tour right now so he's definitely seeing the fruits of his labor, this site really only checks for pop girls anyway so:rip:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Just a Gay on ATRL said:

It was good. Not groundbreaking but it didn't need to be. He delivered exactly what people wanted and expected without any left field choices. He's an R&B legend & it felt like a nice summary of who he is as an artist and why he meant so much to so many people who witnessed his peak in the late 90s through early 10s, whether those people are other artists or just the general public.

I just don't think there's as much to consistently talk about with Usher in 2024 as say Bey or Rih who are constantly in the public eye on the most massive scale imaginable and have reached several different eras of re-peaks and virality including fairly recently. Half-time is as much about how popular you are RIGHT NOW as it is your past legacy. 

Usher is on a successful arena tour on the back of his past catalog alone so he is not hurting lol. 

This is the perfect response. End thread!

he did a superbowl?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like male Super Bowl performances are generally not as talked about as female ones. Like I never hear anyone talking about ColdPlay, The Weeknd, Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars etc Super Bowl shows.

• Like 1

im really trying hard to remember what it was like without watching it back but tbh i have nothing. it was that mid.

I really enjoyed it because I grew up with his music and he actually looked and sounded great

Well he has 6 Atlanta shows that I can't get into lower than the price of my rent, so I would say yeah. What would we need to be talking about 6 months later?

It was a great performance by a very gifted performer who left it all on the floor. He didn't do anything attention seeking or buzzy so there's nothing to talk about really but he set the standard for a male Superbowl show. I don't expect ATRLers whose only frame of reference is the same 5 pop girls from the mid/late 00s to give him his flowers though, they are already dunking on Kendrick Lamar, another generational performer who will put on an amazing halftime show.

• Thanks 1

No, atrl can hate him day and night but even in his flop era jt was/is more relevant. 

Wait he performed at the Super Bowl?

It sold his tour so I guess it worked. 

Bey stole his thunder 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.