What should Reneé Rapp do to blow up like Chappell Roan / Sabrina Carpenter?

KatyPrismSpirit

Any creative ideas? Sabrina Carpenter blew up after opening up for Taylor Swift's "The Eras Tour", which lead to Nonsense and Feather becoming big sleeper hits. She then released Espresso and the rest was history.

Chappell Roan opened up for Olivia Rodrigo's Guts tour which lead to several viral videos of her performing. Her album became a massive sleeper hit after the release of Good Luck Babe! which also went on to become a huge global hit. 

What should miss Reneé Rapp do to also have a big breakthrough in the music industry?

She's currently working with Dan Nigro, who has produced the biggest pop girl debut albums of the decade, so that's huge for her. I think it would also be huge if she could be the opener for a MPG like Billie or Ariana, since that's how Sabrina and Chappell introduced themselves to the general public. She also needs to perform at every festival next year, similar to what Chappell did over the summer, so she can have some viral performances.

Edited by JoJo
  • Like 7

I think first-and-foremost, she needs to commit to music and nothing else.

It's cool to see pop girls pursuing acting once their music career has been firmly established, but I still see Renee Rapp as an all-rounder, or a Jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none.

She sort of pursued broadway, TV, music and film all at the same time, rather than dominating one.

Disney/Nickelodeon stars feel different because their audiences were kids. Renee sort of broke out as an all-rounder, which prevents people from seeing her as a pop star.

Secondly, I think she needs to find a unique sound and aesthetic. She's gorgeous and has an incredible voice…but that's not enough. She needs to have a stronger personal brand. What does a Renee Rapp song sound like? What does a Renee Rapp outfit look like? How would people dress for a Renee Rapp concert, etc.

Thirdly, I need her to change her hair. It's not Karen, but it's Karen-adjacent. Like Karen's best friend, Lisa. It just ages her and reminds me of someone's mum.

spacer.png

The length, the colour, the way the bangs are cut…it's like a Gen X mother…like Andrea Swift or something…as opposed to a young girl who was born in the 2000s.

Edited by Rihinvention
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Release literally one (1) song that isn't bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Keep trying?

She need to find her own sound and aesthetic like she is very talented but i remember her show at Coachella and all her songs aren't really interesting...

Date Chappell or Billie -> break up -> make up nasty stories about how they did you dirty -> release pre-recorded, cunningly calculated break-up anthem (the Lisbon Since U Been Gone) -> BOOM 💥 

• Haha 3

she chose more the actor path it seems

she has a great voice - just needs a hit song lol nothing really has a catchy chorus 

have talent

OT: she should make more bops like Poison Poison

Date Billie and I'm not even kidding

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lachlan said:

Release literally one (1) song that isn't bad.

Poison poison is great tho?

ot: focus on sharpening her sound. Her vibe is just "gen z pop" rn, she has no real artistic selling point besides being lesbian lol

Find a sound that makes average listener say "oh, this is a Renee Wrap song" 

30 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Find a sound that makes average listener say "oh, this is a Renee Wrap song" 

Yeah this is it. She's easily got the strongest vocals of the new gen z pop girls but her music is forgettable. There is no clear identity. She needs to figure out what her brand is and have that reflected sonically, visually and lyrically.

Right now it's just great vocalist who sings boring songs.

4 hours ago, Rihinvention said:

Thirdly, I need her to change her hair. It's not Karen, but it's Karen-adjacent. Like Karen's best friend, Lisa. It just ages her and reminds me of someone's mum.

The length, the colour, the way the bangs are cut…it's like a Gen X mother…like Andrea Swift or something…as opposed to a young girl who was born in the 2000s.

The accuracy :dies:

I love how this thread is just people hating on her for daring to be a new pop girl who did not debut in 1999 A.D or straight-up tastelessness 

Edited by Blackout2006

anyway, she already has launched off from a good start. Her debut received warm reception, she earned a lot of attention from the controversial Mean Girls film, and she has developed a fanbase. A lot of people already know her but she needs to simply capitalize on it. Her sound is good but she needs to career further into it (embrace the 2000s pop-rock songs or vocal-heavy ballads). She should do something with Billie or Olivia to get her name more widespread. She is already apparently working with one of pop's best producers so if she chooses the right singles, and her witty lyrics catch fire on Tik Tok, I think she can bag herself a bigger era than her debut. 

Edited by Blackout2006

• ATRL Moderator

I think she's kinda primed for a big breakout era tbh!  Snow Angel is solid and gave her a good start, she just needs to top it next.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.