Was Britney's secret 2007 tour an iconic pop culture moment?

Slap

The M&Ms Tour  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Was it an iconic pop culture moment?

• Yes
    • No

Fresh from a divorce and months before the release of Gimme More and Blackout changed the game, Britney did a secret/surprise mini concert in 2007 which gained an insane level of hype. It was panned at the time, just like Blackout and her VMA performance were - that was the era we were in. But at the same time she was the most googled person in the world. The world. The sustained media frenzy around her was unlike anything we will probably ever see again now that we are in the social media era. 

Basically one of the biggest artists in the world just does a surprise tour without any production, costuming or marketing that would be expected of somebody at that level, she had "put on weight" (by ****** up Y2K standards) and people mocked her for it.

It was bizarre but also in hindsight I think quite an iconic move from a woman looking to break away from the machine that controlled her. This was one of her final tours while free before she was placed under a conservatorship. I wonder what she would've done next had she not had the conservator

ship. 

Vice: Ads began going up in the spring for five dates by an unknown band called the M+M's. Ads began appearing in the spring across nightclub marquees promoting performances by an unknown band called the M+M's. Tabloids reported that the group was in fact Spears. She told People that she hated contemporary pop music. "It's been boring," she said. "Nothing's been wow to me." She vowed to change the sound.

Audiences seemed rapt for Britney's shock factor. The M+M's tour was anticipated as a warm up for her buzzed-about comeback. Shows sold out, and USA Today's Thomas K. Arnold reported scalpers sold them for $500 each at the opener at San Diego's House of Blues

spacer.png

Edited by Slap
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

07-08' Britney was pop culture

Edited by NEUTRON
  • Like 6

Yes, because there was no such thing at the peak of the artist's popularity. Also, Britney didn't wear panties at that time, as far as I remember, and she was constantly filmed without them.

• Like 1

Yup it was legendaric. 

• Like 1

At her worst she was releasing the best music of her career and touring... Maybe I'm not delusional when I think she could potentially come back. She loves music and performing, period.

Edited by ChooseyLover
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.