TikTok now romanticizing late 2000s college/MGMT era. Feel old yet?

NOW

Do you remember who was in your Myspace Top 8 around this time?

mstom_400x400.jpg

• Haha 2

• Thumbs Down 1

Wonder how they feel about Little Dark Age's popularity and the kinds of people that have been using it

• Like 1

late 2000s has got to be the most gross time ever :rip: All I associate with that time is sweaty white frat college kids. idk why? was it around when Facebook was invented or something? I just remember a lot of emphasis on college vibes and white ppl type parties in colleges with ppl dancing with no rhythm and sweating a lot while on E.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Honestly it was about time we play on the 2000s nostalgia because I am SICK, SICK  of movies referencing the 1980s

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

No, because the 30s are the new 20s

:ryan3:

• Like 1

I mean people born in 2006 are just starting their freshman year in college and MGMT's debut is one of the most influential indie rock albums of the 2000s. This is normal nostalgia :rip: It's the same thing as Gen Z being into 70s-00s music because for many it's what they either heard from their parents or heard on the radio as kids. They also had viral hits off Little Dark Age back in 2021 so the band has remained in public consciousness. 

But yeah if I was a college student in 2006 and teenagers were romanticizing footage from my Blackberry I'd feel like an old hag. 

Edited by bad guy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IBeMe said:

late 2000s has got to be the most gross time ever :rip: All I associate with that time is sweaty white frat college kids. idk why? was it around when Facebook was invented or something? I just remember a lot of emphasis on college vibes and white ppl type parties in colleges with ppl dancing with no rhythm and sweating a lot while on E.

Yeah honestly it was all about Pitchfork + championing the indie sleeze era, Myspace transitioning to Facebook, the rise of Silicon Valley tech bros, Apple beginning its next tech renaissance with the iphone, etc.

• Like 2

I work at a high school and the students wear 90's and 2000's pop stars and rappers on thier shirt all the time. Makes me feel old too. 

2 minutes ago, NoOneDiesFromLove said:

Honestly it was about time we play on the 2000s nostalgia because I am SICK, SICK  of movies referencing the 1980s

Saaaame especially because they only glamorize it.

Golden Girls were so real about what life was actually like back then. 

Oh they're getting close to the 2010s, wait till they discover tribal prints, owl necklaces and ofc-

tatoo-moustache-300x175.jpeg

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Spicy Pisces said:

Oh they're getting close to the 2010s, wait till they discover tribal prints, owl necklaces and ofc-

25k notes minimum on 2011 Tumblr

a2b31a9f2da480efed8401cc78779377.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

The stench 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spicy Pisces said:

I just sat there yesterday and told myself by end of this decade, hipster fashion will go back to the mainstream. 

We just need Party Rock Anthem to have a viral moment and the flood gates will open.

• Haha 1

Pop culture was more iconic back then so I get it

Edited by Sprite

14 minutes ago, bad guy said:

I mean people born in 2006 are just starting their freshman year in college

Ok…I'm old :deadbanana4:

• Haha 1

Me and Michael virality coming

Lana said wait this era sucks. Let me pull my album and delay my breakthrough for a couple more years.

64b329330f61bfff77deeabc033eb236.jpg

Edited by NOW

4 minutes ago, poki said:

We just need Party Rock Anthem to have a viral moment and the flood gates will open.

RXigIyf.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh so we are just speedrunning the 2000s now, are we? Sadly nothing really cool came out of millenials/gen z recreating the late 90s/early 2000s trends in fashion and music.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Dula Peep said:

Ok…I'm old :deadbanana4:

People born in 2010 starting their freshman year in high school hit me the hardest (and softest) 

pulapeed.thumb.gif.72edeb80dabaaf208b020be8849b795e.gif

Early 00s nostalgia is very in rn. I'm guessing late 00s is coming full speed ahead soon.  But honestly what even is late 00s musically? I guess when I think of late 00s, I most distinctly remember dance pop, indie alternative (this extended well into the early 10s), & rap music like Kanye & Lil Wayne. So I guess those throwbacks are coming?

8 minutes ago, Album Leak said:

Oh so we are just speedrunning the 2000s now, are we? Sadly nothing really cool came out of millenials/gen z recreating the late 90s/early 2000s trends in fashion and music.

I feel like 90s nostalgia is already overdone in certain regards, Gen Z absolutely loves the 90s and a lot of their favorite songs on Spotify have that whole grunge/emo sound.

The only 90s throwback I kinda miss is the power ballads that sound like I Will Always Love You, My Heart Will Go On, Unbreak My Heart etc but lowkey Die With a Smile gives me that energy 

However, I think rap music would really benefit from going back to the 90s type nostalgic beats like Notorious BIG's Juicy, 2pac's Ambitionz Az a Ridah, Nate G's Regulate, Ice Cube's It Was a Good Day etc where the emphasis is on a chill vibe with a storytelling type emphasis on lyrics. People would really eat this up. 

As long as they're romanticizing the songs that I like...let the annoying little kids enjoy the music I enjoyed as an annoying little kid!

Surely it's time for Blackout/The Fame/The Dutchess/Loose/The Sweet Escape/BDay to go viral if this sweaty incel incubator of a band is coming back?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.