Chappell Roan confirms she cancelled tour dates because of the VMAs, fans are mad!

Teen Spirit

not a very good look, performace video will be upload if it's worth for the controversy

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starchild

• BrokenMachine

• liquiddiamonds

• mike_int

Y'all weirdos really expect CHAPPELL ROAN of all people to cancel her FIRST ever VMA performance over some concert shows that she can just RESCHEDULE? I swear y'all act purposely dense it's annoying af. More than half of y'all aren't even attending the d*mn concert so why does it matter to you??? It's a literal hallmark to perform at the VMAs in any growing artist's career. :deadbanana2:

Just be quiet already my GOSHHH. :deadbanana2:

Edited by cuteboyzay
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

On 9/3/2024 at 5:53 PM, Dolce Vita said:

well duh? i didn't say people cared about the actual show. the performances still get millions of views online and generates discourse, it doesn't matter if nobody is watching the broadcast.

for a pop culture forum you'd think you guys would understand nuanced viewpoints about why an artist early in her career would cancel a random concert to perform a potentially iconic performance at one of the biggest stages a pop star can have. it makes perfect sense solely from a career perspective 

Thank you for this. I feel like they're just dragging this sh*t out and just looking for a way to cope with all their misogyny. It's just weird now at this point. 

• Like 2

I'm yet to see an actual fan who had tickets for these shows be upset about the cancellation, only chronically online weirdos. 

• Haha 1

VMAs have been dead for a long time but who cares? :skull: 

This is gonna be her first big performance and it's definitely going viral so she wins. 

When are her 15 minutes up? Really don't see the appeal for this red haired Olivia Rodrigo. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Big night for her at the VMAs, the Gaga 2009 VMAs moment we were expecting. The concert cancellation/reschedule sucks, but I'd say it was worth it 

• Confused 1

After seeing the "it's ok, i'm ok" music video today, I'm convinced that someone at MTV was being a NIGHTMARE about rehearsals.

I don't think they gave Tate a performance spot because she told them she needed a holiday in between wrapping the majority of her tour, and diving straight into the TM3 era.

The timing (of everything Tate was doing in the weeks leading up to the VMAs) too coincidental.

She performed at MSG on August 22nd, then immediately filmed a New York-themed music video and scheduled its release for the day after the VMAs. Then she went to Bora Bora, and the last day of her holiday was September 2nd, which still would've given her 9 days to rehearse.

Chappell's cancelled tour dates were the 3rd & 4th of September. Her schedule also gave her a 10-day break between her last work commitment at the VMAs.

I think someone at MTV said to Chappell and Tate, "you have to come to X meeting/rehearsal on September 2nd or you're not performing."

I think Chappell said "ok…f*** it…I guess we'll cancel Paris and Amsterdam :("  and I think Tate said, "I can't. I need a break before I do this year all over again." 

spacer.png

And I think THAT is what Chappell and Tate were talking about when they caught up. I think Chappell was saying, "I'm so sorry they didn't let you perform and messed up your promo strategy/rollout. I was so pissed off about cancelling two of my shows. We didn't need to be there. You definitely still could've performed."

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

On top of all of THAT ^^, after all the Britney comparisons, Tate rocked up in one of Britney's VMA looks, with a Britney/Pussycat Dolls/Cassie-inspired song/video dropping the next day……just to sit there in the audience?

She didn't even win for Greedy. I love Dua, but I'd even go as far as saying the producers in question didn't give her the award for choreography after she cancelled a scheduled performance.

I dunno….maybe I'm overthinking it, but the timing of EVERYTHING just makes me think that someone at MTV/Paramount was being a nightmare about rehearsals and trying to make the VMAs relevant again.

I'm inclined to think they were probably in their 40s, because they gave Katy the Vanguard despite 143 being a disaster and her budget was HUGE. Plus K-Pop and Latin music got televised awards, so I think the pressure to deliver high ratings was even higher because so many sponsors were involved.

MTV, when I catch you…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.