Chappell Roan confirms she cancelled tour dates because of the VMAs, fans are mad!

Teen Spirit

1 hour ago, Dolce Vita said:

i agree that nobody gives a **** about the actual show but everyone will watch the performances from the artists they care about online and her performance will be one that most likely goes viral. its a chance to have an iconic performance at a legendary award show early in her career and im sure her team weighed up the options 

When is the last time anything from the VMAs went viral? :dies: Its a dead show. 

• Haha 2

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starchild

• BrokenMachine

• liquiddiamonds

• mike_int

23 minutes ago, Onyxmage said:

It's a dead show. 

well duh? i didn't say people cared about the actual show. the performances still get millions of views online and generates discourse, it doesn't matter if nobody is watching the broadcast.

for a pop culture forum you'd think you guys would understand nuanced viewpoints about why an artist early in her career would cancel a random concert to perform a potentially iconic performance at one of the biggest stages a pop star can have. it makes perfect sense solely from a career perspective 

Edited by Dolce Vita
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, yonsé said:

i mean it absolutely is a national stage. which is what her team wanted. i think it just goes against everything she's been saying about how she feels like she's too famous

yeah her own personal issues with fame don't really coincide with the way shes moving…but career wise she made the right decision

Edited by Dolce Vita
  • Like 2

I guess I could *kinda* understand if this were the Grammys. But the VMAs? Jesus... Literally nobody watched that show anymore 

• Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Onyxmage said:

When is the last time anything from the VMAs went viral? :dies: Its a dead show. 

This. What happened in 2023? 2022? 2021? VMAs have been flopping time after time and aside from a few reaction videos and a small boost, their current impact is minimal

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vegvisir said:

Um

That's a lot

:suburban:

I mean y'all don't like reading :ryan3: 

There's a TLDR for the slower girls 

8 hours ago, CottageHore said:

This thread isn't about Taylor, hope this helps, Starchild! 

Like these ones 

10 hours ago, Starchild said:

always whining about para social this para social that all over this forum  but y'all can't stop kissing celebrities ass for 2 seconds?  at least Taylor's cult fans are the first ones to crap on her when she does something dumb and they spread it like wildfire (and I'm using Taylor because thats all you guys talk about lbr)

y'all enabling a spoiled girl that treats the people that got her ass off from the donut shop like garbage over and over and over in the span of less than a year? yeah that's really helping this celebrity idol worship that helps these artist horde money and be less and less respectful to the people that helped make their career POPULAR 

I actually don't listen or really care about Chappell (or really like tbh). So I have no reason to look for any excuses for her, nor my post was an excuse.

My post was about the fact, artists and especially new artists don't have much to say what they will or wont do.

Once the contract is signed they need to fulfill whatever they agreed on with label.

If label put tons of money into her promotion she cannot say we wont do that or wont do that.

Thats how industry works. You are a puppet at the beginning.

Once you prove yourself and once you bring more money into back than was actually invested in you, then you can start saying thing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dolce Vita said:

well duh? i didn't say people cared about the actual show. the performances still get millions of views online and generates discourse, it doesn't matter if nobody is watching the broadcast.

for a pop culture forum you'd think you guys would understand nuanced viewpoints about why an artist early in her career would cancel a random concert to perform a potentially iconic performance at one of the biggest stages a pop star can have. it makes perfect sense solely from a career perspective 

Not only that but its full of C and D list nobodies. Also stop saying that something potentially iconic will come from a show that nobody cares about anymore. Its so embarrassing that she cancelled shows for a single performance. :ace: 

She really chose a night which will celebrate a rapist supporter Dr Luke with vanguard. 

wow.

• Haha 2

See the kicker is both of these things in isolation are perfectly reasonable

"Fame is kinda exhausting" yes queen draw those boundaries! :clap3:

"I gotta rehearse for the VMAs" yes queen get that bag! :clap3:

But when put together it just seems insincere I fear

yeah the VMAs are irrelevant but i bet it still feels like a major stepping stone for new artists breaking through

• Like 1

VMA's too iconic to pass up. 

lUzdhDL.gif

Sacrifice 3 shows worth of fans 

On 9/3/2024 at 11:54 PM, mike_int said:

I actually don't listen or really care about Chappell (or really like tbh). So I have no reason to look for any excuses for her, nor my post was an excuse.

My post was about the fact, artists and especially new artists don't have much to say what they will or wont do.

Once the contract is signed they need to fulfill whatever they agreed on with label.

If label put tons of money into her promotion she cannot say we wont do that or wont do that.

Thats how industry works. You are a puppet at the beginning.

Once you prove yourself and once you bring more money into back than was actually invested in you, then you can start saying thing.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/chappell-roan-is-everywhere-her-manager-says-her-fans-feel-part-of-her-success-not-separate-to-it/

Her team and manager have said SHE is in charge of the decisions made which how bad they've been, we can tell. She needs a pr team or something, even the Jonas brothers cancelled months in advance when they had "more exciting opportunities" 

Edited by Starchild

1 minute ago, Starchild said:

Yeah that's what this multi-billion business is all about, artistry.

7ba73c40c63b9bd826df2b19f4cf5a12.gif

Lets not be naive and think Chappell as a new artist has anything to say when it comes to business decisions. Her label invested money into her and they need it back.

1 minute ago, mike_int said:

Yeah that's what this multi-billion business is all about, artistry.

7ba73c40c63b9bd826df2b19f4cf5a12.gif

Lets not be naive and think Chappell as a new artist has anything to say when it comes to business decisions. Her label invested money into her and they need it back.

Not even her old fans treat her like a child the way y'all do here :bibliahh:

"I've said it before, but she has the 100% rule. With every decision, if it's not 100% yes, then it's no. So we passed on some really high-profile support tours

Edited by Starchild

i really think she just needs to log out for awhile. :lakitu:

5 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Not even her old fans treat her like a child the way y'all do here :bibliahh:

"I've said it before, but she has the 100% rule. With every decision, if it's not 100% yes, then it's no. So we passed on some really high-profile support tours

Well, obviously her manager, who is responsible for her good image in relation to GP and media will say what is needed to be said.

Larry Rudolf was saying the same about how Britney is excited and passionate about project she was pushed to do against her will.

But I will let some people believe world is one big fairy tale and everything is beautiful haha

Everyone's doing too much with her, it's not that serious.

The only thing that confuses me is that she is clearly going to the VMA's for exposure when that seems to be what she's trying to avoid? Make it make sense.

• Haha 2

Just because the VMAs have sucked over the past few years doesn't mean it can't come back.

Its legacy spans 40 years and its most iconic moments have been some of the pop culture highlights from their respective years.

In what's been one of the most exciting years for female pop stars, why would we not want them to try and revive it?

The fact that there are people in this thread being like "pffft, don't bother. The 2018 show was so boring" Is insane to me.

Yes, there are standout VMAs shows and VMAs moments, but who's to say 2024 can't be one of them?

Disgusting behavior. If I was staning her, I would stop immediately 

• Confused 1

Lmao, people are honestly so weird when commenting about female musicians.. 

Of course she would choose this over a live show - it is going to grow her music reach. People confused over her comments about "avoiding exposure", I understand it that she wants to step away from being a public figure. Her art can still live and become accessible to a larger audience, and she shouldn't be discredited for wanting that.

• Thanks 1

She said in an interview that she's trying to "pump the brakes on fame", but canceling shows to perform at the VMAs is literally the opposite of that.  

I think either she secretly likes her current "moment" of fame right now or she's just got too much potential for sales right now for her record label to even let her pump the brakes on said fame.  

Either way, I support her.  It's so exciting to have a new female pop artist slay like this.  

The first time she got dragged for establishing boundaries with her fans was kinda unwarranted but honestly I kinda get this one. Sure the VMAs are a bigger deal but if she wasn't complaining about being way too famous and cancelled last minute she wouldn't be as dragged for this tbh. I understand that many of the fans that spend money to see her or were already on their way to travel to the concert are mad and tbf I'm not gonna be the one to tell them it's nothing. Love her but her actions do not seem to match what she was saying about being famous. Just say you wanna be famous and rich but don't want your fans to bother you :skull:

idk why she couldn't have taped a performance from one of those shows :rip: gaga did that for the amas one year on tour and then accepted an award live on stage.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.