What did Rihanna do right when she went "Good Girl Gone Bad" compared to other MPGs?

Josh

Rihanna is one of the few pop girls who succeeded in going Good Girl Gone Bad for an era, the public remained on her side. What did Rihanna do right when she went  "Good Girl Gone Bad" compared to other MPGs? 

What are you talking about? Xtina, Nelly Furtado, Britney, Miley, damn every goody good girl who shows skin and **** will sell better

1 minute ago, LadyDiana said:

What are you talking about? Xtina, Nelly Furtado, Britney, Miley, damn every goody good girl who shows skin and **** will sell better

The public turned on Xtina, Britney, Miley when they went Good Girl Gone Bad.

Xtina wouldn't had done Back to Basics 

Miley wouldn't had done Younger Now

if the public hadn't had a strong negative reception to Stripped and Bangerz

Rihanna was always a bad gal and she was forced to act cute 

That's the main difference. The others feel forced Rih doesn't

• Like 4

Just now, Josh said:

Xtina wouldn't had done Back to Basics 

Miley wouldn't had done Younger Now

I'm not sure this is true. Xtina and Miley are artists who always switch up their style every era. Xtina changed her style from B2B to Bionic and again from Bionic to Lotus.

4 minutes ago, Burn said:

I'm not sure this is true. Xtina and Miley are artists who always switch up their style every era. Xtina changed her style from B2B to Bionic and again from Bionic to Lotus.

But there was backlash to Bangerz and Stripped as someone who lived to see the Stripped era. 

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

What did Rihanna do right when she went  "Good Girl Gone Bad"

Non-stop BOPS. One after another. 

The topic with Stripped and Bangerz was that the eras were so tacky, xtina and miley crossed the line and the gp saw them as bad example. Rihanna kept the class. 

Just now, CamiloPg_ said:

The topic with Stripped and Bangerz was that the eras were so tacky, xtina and miley crossed the line and the gp saw them as bad example. Rihanna kept the class. 

Is that a similar reason why Selena's Good For You was positively recieved as well because Selena had class in it?

I don't think there was a big shift for her to be honest. It was kinda her breakthrough era so a lot of people didn't even see her as any different. It's a running joke among the fans that her first two albums were mixtapes

Britney, Miley, Xtina etc all had some of their biggest eras BEFORE changing up their image, so it had a different outcome.

The music was top tier and plus Rihanna's shift didn't seem nearly as drastic. While Stripped was and is amazing Christina had kinda went all out slutty during that era. Britney's transition was just a little better received but Justin being as popular as he was and airing their dirty laundry shifted the publics opinion towards her. 

Because Rihannas version of GGGB was more about becoming an intelligent adult rather than a ****

She wasn't a major star as a "good girl" so I don't think the comparison with the other popstars makes sense. Most people experienced this era as Rihanna's breakthrough, not a major shift in the career of someone they were already familiar with.

• Like 2

Good music videos and great pure pop music 

what Rihanna did had class to it

• Like 2

It didn't scream I'm sexy and bad it was more of I'm taking control, and I'm an artist that should be taken seriously. 

Everything about that era was mature, articulate and the music was serving. 

• Like 1

On the Xtina,Britney,Miley etc, mentions..

Rihanna wasn't as "good" as Their image played.
She wasn't going for the children/teen demographic, at least not as much. Her music was much more for the clubs even at the beginning, compared to the former mentioned at least.

So ofc she didn't have any sort of backlash and what-not ..

On her sounds..

Rih added more edge to the music with GGGB
Altho tbh Umbrella played a big role in pushing everyone to check her out even more..I think her aesthetic change helped her a lot too

(also)

And lets not with the "good music"..

She was already having nice songs (that were hits!) before GGGB

Pon De Replay, SOS, Unfaithful, Break It off ...

If anything, her previous eras were increasing the hype for her 3rd era.

I would say that it all fit perfectly with the stylistic change and Umbrella falling into her hands.

The music was serving and the good girl gone bad transition was more to something sexy rather than sexual, so it felt very natural. 

Edited by Klein

Her image didn't really change that drastically, her styling just became more sleek and mature, she's always been fairly unpolarizing. She also had Umbrella which completely redefined her career and changed her trajectory forever.

1) Good music

2) Sexy fits her because of her natural sex appeal

3) It doesn't feel forced, she was authentic

I mean she didn't really go 'bad' as in controversial or crazy. She just had an image overhaul and started to stand out, she shed the 'mini Beyoncé' accusations and went full Pop, got her signature black haircut and looked edgy and sexy

The album was full of hits and it was just her time to break through into superstardom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Is that a similar reason why Selena's Good For You was positively recieved as well because Selena had class in it?

Yes. Selena was a lot more classy and sensual with her image shift and not overly explicit and raunchy like Miley was with hers. 

Look at the material:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

She had the charisma to pull it off which made it feel like a natural and effortless transition for her. Also: Umbrella

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.