US: 2024 Olympics are ratings SMASH, average 33M viewers per day (up 80% from Tokyo)

Feanor

gettyimages-2164848736.jpg

Sunday's coverage — which saw team U.S.A. score medals from Noah Lyles, Suni Lee and Bobby Finke — brought in 35.4 million viewers, according to fast national data from Nielsen and Adobe Analytics. Viewership for the second Sunday of competition more than doubled the 17.4 million viewers that tuned in to the comparable Sunday of competition during the Tokyo Olympics.

Within the first 10 days of competition, the Paris Olympics are averaging a viewership of 33 million when combining Paris primetime (2-5 p.m. ET) and U.S. primetime (8-11 p.m. ET/PT). As has been the case, the Paris Games are averaging a bigger audience than the Tokyo Games, with the 10-day average up 80% when compared to the 18.3 million viewers brought in during the same timeframe by the Tokyo Olympics.

The Wrap

:clap3:

Simone Biles Sport GIF by Olympics

wonder why

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

i love the olympics anyway but its so much better with the crowds back, feels like a proper event again

• Like 3

The way this is the 1st time I care about the Olympics

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Dula Peep said:

Simone Biles Sport GIF by Olympics

wonder why

I legit watched for her :deadbanana4:

I'm not suprised by this! As a European, I felt like the marketing catered a lot to Americans for this year's Olympics, and I'm glad it worked, our friendship is important:clap3:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EtherealCat said:

i love the olympics anyway but its so much better with the crowds back, feels like a proper event again

Crowd atmospheres are unmatched

Events like the Olympics are needed in times like these tbh and it's no coincidence that events like these are getting good ratings, Covid fatigue is behind us (even the award shows that are increasingly less relevant are rebounding in ratings). The world is in a depressing state rn and larger than life spectacles like the Olympics that are unashamedly grandiose are not only a nice source of escapism for a couple of weeks but are good for national pride and hope/inspiration

• Like 8

YES Gaga, YES ratings! :clap3: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

Yes gays yes ratings :clap3:

campbell-harrison-alice-bellandi-kiss-th

• Like 2

YES! #Goldovic did THAT!

• Like 1

Crowds = atmosphere so bound to be better but surely the time zone is also more US friendly?

Paris is NYC plus six, LA plus nine. Japan is plus 13/16 (or minus 11/8!). So Sunday night in Paris was Men's 100m , for instance, at a a nice either side of lunch in the US. Japans's equivalent would've been early/ God awful early in the US.

80% up not exactly surprising really.  Watch European audiences plunge next time round though.

• Like 1

Not surprised. Fenty Beauty's GLOBAL impact is very real.

Yes Katie Ledecky yes ratings :clap3:

I believe it, I don't remember people talking about Tokyo olympics at all :dies: For better or worse Paris olympics is always in the news over something

• Like 1

Impact of that Turkish shooter

You all not ready to accept that. Most viral athlete by miles

Oh Ilona Maher the impact that you have :jonny5:

• Like 1

But the right wing told me people were tuning OUT due to drag queens

• Haha 2

Not surprising. :clap3:

Yes Gaga Yes ratings as always since 2009 :clap3:

• Like 1

How does this compare to London Olympics? Same time zone 

• Like 1

I wish they also reported which section got the best ratings compared to the rest.

200.gif?cid=a595bef3l93aubv7iruvzpw3mpj6

:clap3:

The coverage on Peacock has been so much better this year as well.  

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.