Are the Pyramids of Giza the most iconic man-made structures of all time?

Feanor

pyramid-giza.png

They have been fascinating and intriguing people for over 4,500 years at this point and are still standing strong. The true queens of longevity. :clap3:

Are the Pyramids of Giza the most iconic building/structure us humans have ever built?

michael-jackson-reading.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Yes.

I've never seen them.

Have you?

What if it was all a lie?

:clack:

Well they were made by aliens, so

nicki.png

• Haha 1

No because they were made by aliens :) 

Man - as we know it - didn't build the pyramids of Giza.  They were found by Ancient Egyptians. The civilisation that built them is missing from history... conveniently.

Edited by Kavish

The lyrical and sonical structure of my fave's latest album is better

• Haha 1

You fools aren't being serious about the pyramids being made by aliens, right? :rip:

• Like 3

Yes.

Eiffel Tower at #2.

• Like 2

Yes 100%. Rest in peace all the slaves who were forced to build this. The endurance and scale of these pyramids are just insane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kavish said:

Man - as we know it - didn't build the pyramids of Giza.  They were found by Ancient Egyptians. The civilisation that built them is missing from history... conveniently.

That's funny and dumb!

no, the structure of beyoncé's "virgo's groove" is better 

• Thumbs Down 1

I really still have a hard time thinking men did that alone

There are so many holes in history that is fair to question that

54 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I really still have a hard time thinking men did that alone

There are so many holes in history that is fair to question that

I think we need to not think of progress as something linear. It's possible humancivilizations that predate our concept of antiquity were quite advanced in their engineering. A great example of this that has been well documented is the fact that Ancient Roman society had plumbing, a concept that fell out of favor entirely in Europe during the Middle Ages and did not become widespread until much, much later. Progress ebbs and flows. Another example would be technological advancements happening in Europe and Asia during a time when Aztec society was rather primitive by comparison. We also have weaponry smithed in the Middle Ages that we have yet to reverse engineer and therefore have no idea how they were able to be produced.

Also, Egypt thousands of years ago had a very different climate, one likely not hospitable to the natural preservation of records if any had been kept. Even if we look at Ancient Greek works, we only have fragments of original works from antiquity (e.g., The Odyssey), whereas full manuscript copies come from editions bound during the Middle Ages. Even Ancient Greece had its own Ancient Greece. And with such little to go off of, it's hard for us to understand exactly what things were like.

I think jumping to "aliens" is silly, to be honest. While I do believe in the very real possibility of life existing outside of Earth, there is a very small number of planets and space rock in our own solar system where life (at least as we understand it) could be or have been, essentially Mars (where nothing has been found to suggest the existance of a civilization) and the moons of the gas giants. Beyond that, we'd be talking about unknown planets outside of our solar system, and given the fact that it took over a decade for our satellites to even reach Neptune...

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

I think we need to not think of progress as something linear. It's possible humancivilizations that predate our concept of antiquity were quite advanced in their engineering. A great example of this that has been well documented is the fact that Ancient Roman society had plumbing, a concept that fell out of favor entirely in Europe during the Middle Ages and did not become widespread until much, much later. Progress ebbs and flows. Another example would be technological advancements happening in Europe and Asia during a time when Aztec society was rather primitive by comparison. We also have weaponry smithed in the Middle Ages that we have yet to reverse engineer and therefore have no idea how they were able to be produced.

Also, Egypt thousands of years ago had a very different climate, one likely not hospitable to the natural preservation of records if any had been kept. Even if we look at Ancient Greek works, we only have fragments of original works from antiquity (e.g., The Odyssey), whereas full manuscript copies come from editions bound during the Middle Ages. Even Ancient Greece had its own Ancient Greece. And with such little to go off of, it's hard for us to understand exactly what things were like.

I think jumping to "aliens" is silly, to be honest. While I do believe in the very real possibility of life existing outside of Earth, there is a very small number of planets and space rock in our own solar system where life (at least as we understand it) could be or have been, essentially Mars (where nothing has been found to suggest the existance of a civilization) and the moons of the gas giants. Beyond that, we'd be talking about unknown planets outside of our solar system, and given the fact that it took over a decade for our satellites to even reach Neptune...

I agree and understand what you mean.

But at the same time we live in a planet that has been around 4 billion years, and in the latest millions found life. Millions of years is a really long time.

The idea of Aliens is not crazy to me, it makes more sense. This planet has already been proven to be rested several times through cataclysmic events.

Not saying that Aliens actually did the pyramids, but the idea that humans have been the only intelligent life here in millions of years of life is very narrow.

There are smarter civilizations out there in the universe

4 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I agree and understand what you mean.

But at the same time we live in a planet that has been around 4 billion years, and in the latest millions found life. Millions of years is a really long time.

The idea of Aliens is not crazy to me, it makes more sense. This planet has already been proven to be rested several times through cataclysmic events.

Not saying that Aliens actually did the pyramids, but the idea that humans have been the only intelligent life here in millions of years of life is very narrow.

There are smarter civilizations out there in the universe

The thing that bothers me about the aliens theory is that it is one born out of racism and that was perpetuated by a proud Nazi. Were the Pyramids in Europe, I doubt we would have anybody questioning their veracity as man-made structures. :lee:

Edited by The7thStranger
  • Like 1

The Great Wall of China, sweetie...

Angkor Wat (plus the smaller Angkorian structures) and Machu Picchu are in contention too!

the bridge in Taylor's august, sweetie...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.