ATRL decides: does Charli feel bigger in 2014 or 2024?

Hector

It feels like Charli is having a second breakthrough year with brat not only critically and as an albums artist, but making such an impact on social media and this year's presidental election.  

121 members have voted

1. 1. If you've followed her for over 10 years, this should be an interesting question for you. Charli feels bigger in...

• 2014 (her feature on Fancy being a huge global hit, scoring a second global hit with Boom Clap, and the release of the SUCKER album with the European & Australian hit Break The Rules)
    • 2024 (brat becoming her most successful album yet in both the US & UK, the excellent viral marketing the album got on social media, the attention multiple songs have gotten on streaming, and how her album has been embraced by the campaign for this year's Democratic candidate for president, Vice President Kamala Harris)

220px-Charli_XCX_-_Sucker.pngThe word "brat" written in lowercase, low resolution Arial Narrow font on a lime green background.

The choice is yours.

spacer.png

I feel like on a cultural level, it feels like now.

Edited by Hector

:chick1: she kinda had tumblr on a chokehold in 2014 though so that covers the cultural part, i think we have to wait until the year ends maybe apple might be a sleeper smasha.

• Like 1

charli is bigger now

big song =/= big artist.

• Like 10

She was kinda eclipsed by Lorde, Lana, and Sky during the tumblr era.

Wasn't Mariana bigger on tumblr back in 2014?

she's way bigger now than that 

She got me gagged back in high school with her AMAs performance 

She's definitely more culturally relevant in 2024 than in 2014. Sure she had two big hits a decade ago but brat's surprising success that leaked over from stan Twitter to the real world is just something we did not expect at all from Charli.

When 360 was released, we were all hoping it would chart in the Hot 100 AT BEST. Now it's sitting inside the Top 25 of US Spotify and was the most added on Radio last week in the US. Girl, her hitting it off just like that was something we did not expect. And I could actually feel her outside of ATRL. She really did it, for real this time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I've never seen more people knowing or talking about her than right now, and I've followed her since True Romance:jonny6:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aadrl1 said:

2014 Of Course.

She could never make another Break the Rules 

thank god

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

She's more known now

• Like 1

Musically, 2014; as a cultural figure, 2024. She was dominating radio waves back in 2014 but she, herself, feels much bigger nowadays. I haven't heard any of her recent music out in the wild. It's funny how that works.

• Like 2

people knew the songs in 2014, but didn't know her. 

now, people know her, even if they don't exactly know all the songs.

Edited by BANKS
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Has any of her previous albums charted higher than brat in the U.S.? 

With her latest era, she's been mentioned constantly on late-night (Colbert), primetime news (CNN, FOX News) and trending on social media in general. She's hit the big time this time around, and the whole era feels like an event that's been amplified by Pride 2024 and sustained by Kamala Harris' campaign going viral.

And that's not even taking into account the massive acclaim from critics and fans alike for brat.

This is her BEYONCÉ moment, but it's Charli, baby.

• Thanks 3

2014, she had the hits. Fancy, Boom Clap and whatever

Now her niche is only gays and Twitter, she can't even sell out an arena tour with Troye Sivan. s:wan:

2024 (brat becoming her most successful album yet in both the US & UK, the excellent viral marketing the album got on social media, the attention multiple songs have gotten on streaming, and how her album has been embraced by the campaign for this year's Democratic candidate for president, Vice President Kamala Harris)

FV3NvoJ.gif

well she had I Love It, Boom Clap, Fancy back in the day, those songs were bigger than everything she released now. But now she's a name, people know her and she has a fanbase, constantly going viral oohh i see BRAT being her bigger album (tho i still hope she could snatch some top 10 or a grammy nom)

• Like 1

She's infinitely bigger now, be serious. The 2014 hits were due to the attached projects and artists in them, now she's an actual name people check for.

Now. She had big hits in 2014 but she was kinda of faceless that time. 

Sucker

#15 UK

#28 US

brat

#2 UK

#3 US

• Like 5

She feels more like a one hit wonder girl in 2014, but she's an established respected artist in 2024

• Like 1

2024 and it isn't close.

She may never have a bigger song than Fancy but she's the entire brand of a US presidential candidate in 2024, bffr.

• Like 2

2014 was amazing for her, and I was THRILLED with how big Boom Clap became!! little 17 year old Joe was stanning and knew she deserved every bit of success she was getting, since I had started stanning her in 2013 and she had defined so much of my high school tumblr years in general. I really wish Break the Rules could've been a hit, but Sucker was a phenomenal era regardless :clap3:

BUT!

2024 is a completely new level of success for Miss XCX! she's bigger than ever, and the proof is really just in one example of the puddin (Kamala's HQ's twitter header lol) :WAP:

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.