Now that BRAT is going viral does it have a greater chance at the Grammys for AOTY?

New Edition

With Kamala Harris and the new political situation in America making BRAT go viral, does this increase CharliXCX's chances at the Grammys, especially for the big categories, especially AOTY? :lakitu:

• Like 4

The chances to get nominated have hugely increased, I think. If it's nominated for Dance/Electronic Album, I see it winning but not so much if it's in Pop Vocal Album. 

yes, AOTY will go to Charli or Beyoncé this year I'm calling it now :ghostface:

• Like 1

I love the album but it has absolutely less than 0% chance of winning AOTY at the Grammy's. The day that all of you accept that the Grammy voters are mostly conservative Boomers who vote accordingly, and that their opinion holds no objective merit will be joyous day for music indeed

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

She'll get noms for Dance/Electronic categories for sure (and should win :coffee2:)

as for the main categories, an AOTY nom would be so iconic but with Billie, Beyoncé and possibly more dark horses, a win is highly unlikely

It deserves AOTY alone for Club Classics. :clap3:

• Like 2

100%, CNN is exactly the platform it needed to reach the demographic of the Grammy voters 

• Haha 8

If the category truly is judging culturally and critically impactful albums, then BRAT deserves to get a nom in AOTY (it won't win if it is nominated but there's a strong argument to be made for it). 

• Like 6

there is no way any pop girl will win this year. poptism ended. watch zach bryan win or some other man

• Like 1

It would be the most interesting win in years but it won't happen 

• Like 1

Idk tbh 

I'm gonna keep my expectations low, but she better get at least a couple noms thrown her way

Brat winning AOTY would be the most inspired choice ever in the history of the recording academy, and that isn't even hyperbole.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think she has a chance in some of the genre specific categories, but to echo @Bosque's sentiment, Grammy voters are very conservative and easily polarised. I doubt she stands a chance in general field. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, piotrert said:

poptism ended

No, Dua and taylor just released bad albums.

It'll be an inspirational AOTY nominee for sure from its genre alone. For now I think it has vastly increased its Best Dance/Electronic Album chances and could be competitive for the win there.

• Thanks 1

Von dutch will win Pop Dance category

hopefully we get a nomination at least

I think the BRIT album of the year is on lock rn though... 

In my opinion, an Album of the Year nomination is certain, but a win is only possible in genre-specific categories.

when I saw those old folks on CNN aspiring to be brat, I knew the AOTY nom was locked

• Haha 4

I just don't really see your average country, rock, or hip hop voter (let alone your boomer white label execs) voting for an album like brat, but she's got higher chances than last week sure. the Grammys really are more of an industry networking/politics thing and Charli doesn't play that game much so it shouldn't even matter to yall

well yes 

she will surely get a nom at least (not for AOTY) tho.

HMSAH will get that

BRAT will get something 

CC will get something 

and that other girl, NOTHING! 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Her chances are better than last week, but Grammy voters have conservative tastes and getting a nomination is more about knowing the right people and having a well known name, than the actual music you make.

One thing that should help her is alphabetical order advantage, assuming she is listed under C for Charli XCX. Records and Albums are listed in alphabetical order of the performing artist. Her name should come up near the beginning of the nominations voting lists.

In SOTY, the alphabetical order is based on the song title, which helps explains how that ABCDEFU song got nominated in SOTY and not in ROTY a few years ago.

Spoiler

see also All Too Well (too long version) which did not get a ROTY nomination

She should consider submitting "Apple" to SOTY.

Edit: not sure about winning, AOTY just had two big pop album wins in the last couple of years, so the winner could be a totally difference genre or maybe a Jon Batiste type artist, known as a musician even if the album itself didn't have much impact or acclaim.

Edit2: Grammy success outside the general field might depend on the album being accepted in the electronic/dance categories. It should be, but this is not guaranteed.

Maybe being the filler option but winning? No ma'am, not when the category is already too packed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.