Has Olivia Rodrigo lost her momentum?

Feanor

No, too early to say that. But her third album is the key for her success and I don't think it will flop :giraffe:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hawx23

• Blackout2006

• RoseBud

• zuper

The answer is: No

GUTS is of the zeitgeist regardless of sales not all popular albums will have that legacy. Shown as her arena tour is both a cultural and sales force.

GUTS era is also just a market overcorrection for the SOUR anomaly. Even the aesthetic and marketing she has a clear Olivia Rodrigo sound and brand which will help in the long-term.

She doesn't need to have a sellout era anytime soon it would be smarter to preferably strip down her sound to lean into more maturity.

Edited by ImperialCuntess

Olivia really needs to come with something different for her third era. If she serves another Guts sadly i dont see things goin well :giraffe:

I think Pulling a Red would be great. Experimentation with different genres specially Pop/Synthpop but also her deep songwriting and maybe some folk-indie :gaycat4:

Sour/Fearless>>>>>Guts/Speak Now (Re-affirming Artistry)>>>>>Olivia3/Red (Experimentation)>>>>Olivia4/1989 (Full Pop *****)

Pop Rock is great but that genre is  not that popular in the charts anymore. Hope she moves a bit from that. 

Im also a bit concerned how she's only working with Dan ***** and i think she should branch out more. Work with him but also new people. 

Olivia success is pretty impressive considering how she's asian and theyre a minority in the states.  
Artists like Sabrina have it easier cause she appeals to 60% of the population of the states aka white people

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 1

Guts not only critically acclaimed but it's showing decent legs almost a year later

It's her "Under My Skin" - they set the bar so high for their first era but their 2nd era was still uber successful

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Or maybe she was just overexposed in her debut era and things have calmed down 

billie's stans always getting brave on olivia-based threads always sends me especially considering that guts washes HTE in recurrent streams and on same to same day comparisons :deadbanana2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Arrows said:

Unlike Billie, Chappell and Sabrina, Olivia has never done a single interesting thing.

you would know one or two things about that considering your favorite singer :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, georgechxng said:

billie's stans always getting brave on olivia-based threads always sends me especially considering that guts washes HTE in recurrent streams and on same to same day comparisons :deadbanana2:

I know y'all love to stay perpetually stuck in 2021 but we're in the year of 2024 where Billie's BOAF alone outstreams the entirety of GUTS on same day to day comparisons :heart:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Riverbank said:

I know y'all love to stay perpetually stuck in 2021 but we're in the year of 2024 where Billie's BOAF alone outstreams the entirety of GUTS on same day to day comparisons :heart:

exactly, just like drivers license and good 4 u were outstreaming all the tracks of hte combined back in 2021. my comment wasn't meant as a drag against billie, she's one of my most consumed artists. i'm just pointing out how ridiculous her base sounds trying to convince themselves olivia is done for when billie had a way bigger "sophomore slump" (i always thot that hte did its work as a strong follow up to a huge debut era despite atrlers dragging its performance) and look at her now LOL as far as we know, olivia doesn't really have anything to worry given how guts has performed better than other sophomore releases, especially given the fact that she's gonna have the 2025 calendar pretty much all to herself since all the other main pop girls decided to release their new albums during this year.

Edited by georgechxng
  • Thanks 1

Probably she has already contacted Dan N to copy Chapel's sound, so I don't think so :chick2:

I think she will be fine. I honestly believe that she could've been bigger, but she is going to follow an Avril Lavigne trajectory which is completely fine. 

She used to be more popular but being honest I think she being weird with Taylor Swift played a role in her decline. Swifties were all over the place supporting Olivia when she first came with Drivers License/Deja Vu/g4u and although material stuck with the gp for being good, swifties helped her with those debut numbers and a lot of hype. I assume several swifties still like her but she is not being heavily supported by the biggest fandom in the world anymore. Also she came around a time when Taylor was releasing songs that didn't connected with the radio much. 

She'll be fine, obviously she peaked but she will get hits every once in a while, and she will be able to keep touring because she is talented. She also can always go back to acting. What I mean is... she doesn't need to be the biggest artist in the world.

3 hours ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Her music is fine tbh

The real issue with her is her weak starpower. Sabrina barely started to smash and yet it feels like her star is shining brighter than Olivia ever was. 

The recency bias on this website is so insane y'all really live in your own worlds :dies: Sabrina is definitely the girl of the moment and I won't take that away from her but this is fundamentally false. Let's at least wait until her album drops before we start saying things like this. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

The recency bias on this website is so insane y'all really live in your own worlds :dies: Sabrina is definitely the girl of the moment and I won't take that away from her but this is fundamentally false. Let's at least wait until her album drops before we start saying things like this. 

Thats exactly the point I'm making. Sabrina barely released an album and only barely got out of the khia asylum and yet she feels more like a star than Olivia ever was. Yea Sour era was smashing but outside of Gen Z, she is barely recognizable as a celebrity for the rest of the GP. 

I do think it may have to do with the fact that Sour smashed during the pandemic while Sabrina is smashing and pulling all stops after the pandemic has ended hence the bigger exposure. 

Yeah Sabrina overshadowed her I fear. Sabrina is also gorgeous compared to Olivia. Everyone moved on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

her entire discography has charted on the hot 100. i think she'll be fine 

• Thanks 1

I think Olivia's power is really underrated on this site. I think she's much bigger than Sabrina, Chappel and maybe even Billie. 

Her sophomore slump wasn't that bad, especially compared to HTE where Billie was cancelled so many times. And part of the slump was because the aesthetics were just sour part 2. Imagine if she switches it up or goes blonde or something :jonnycat:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, izzyinsane said:

Yeah Sabrina overshadowed her I fear. Sabrina is also gorgeous compared to Olivia. Everyone moved on. 

Weird to compare their looks. Olivia is objectively stunning. 

• Like 6

Nah it's still early on her career. 

3 hours ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Thats exactly the point I'm making. Sabrina barely released an album and only barely got out of the khia asylum and yet she feels more like a star than Olivia ever was. Yea Sour era was smashing but outside of Gen Z, she is barely recognizable as a celebrity for the rest of the GP. 

I do think it may have to do with the fact that Sour smashed during the pandemic while Sabrina is smashing and pulling all stops after the pandemic has ended hence the bigger exposure. 

at no point have espresso nor ppp felt the way drivers license and g4u felt. the latter two were so monumental it successfully launched a nobody DEBUT artist into MPG territory. to claim that sabrinas moment is bigger is 100% recency bias. she was way more known musically and artistically before olivia blew up. she already had a foundation to launch off of (just needed the right hits). for you to become an overnight star like olivia requires a much bigger moment

Edited by jjmed59
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

All she needs to do is mature her sound and image/Branding she will get hits. Maybe have Billie Armstrong co-produce and write music for her and even have Jack white write and produce some tracks as well. Both can ultimately help her mature her sound and image working with rock legends to produce her music.  Olivia attempting too become a new generation Gwen Stefani during her no doubt years would be smart as well if she truly wants to stick to the rock sound and image. 

GUTS is still getting like 7M daily streams, and all tracks are above 100M streams :toofunny3: that's more successful than 99.9% of atrl's faves' latest albums 

+ she's the reason why chappell and the blonde girl blew up :toofunny3:

and i don't understand using the fact that there aren't many livies on atrl as a proof that she's flopping or something when there weren't many livies on here to begin with and most of them are either inactive or got permabanned :toofunny3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Spicy Pisces said:

idk bad idea right? is still that girl for me

House Party Sleep GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

Curious though how GUTS and The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess were released very close to each other, both produced by Dan N*gro, and look at them now.

Guts is still getting like 6M-7M daily streams and is currently #26 on billboard after almost a year

5 hours ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Actually it feels like both PPP and Espresso are beginning to fade. She should have released the album sooner. 

• Confused 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.