Has Olivia Rodrigo lost her momentum?

Feanor

Not even close. If anything, she'd solidified herself as a MPG. She's only like 21 and on her second album. 

Her 3rd album will determine what you're suggesting though. We all know third albums usually make or break a pop girl. And I do worry about her image. Punk/pop rock or is she gonna go more sexual pop? I'm unsure so far. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hawx23

• Blackout2006

• RoseBud

• zuper

The second albums was acclaimed and the tour is doing weel. 

If she plays her cards right she will be fine on the next era 

yes her womans world is coming

• Haha 1

yes and we cheered

She's basically experiencing what Billie experienced during HTE. A career plateau. One big hit carrying the album, the album didn't live up to their monumental debut album, but their tour is doing really well and growing in power

I do think Olivia is still relevant among Gen Z, and they will be hyped for a new Olivia era. She just needs to release the right singles next era

• Like 1

Olivia made an error by entering recording sessions for "GUTS" with an "if It ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. She played too safe and tried to replicate the sonics of her debut, but the engine was out of gas and the music never flowed as easy as it had on her debut.

For a long time everyone thought her producer Daniel was to blame for attempting to xerox the sonics, mood (and lack of progression) of her debut. Then to the shock of those who were paying attention the Chappell Roan album appeared out of nowhere (also produced by Daniel) after "GUTS".

The Chappell album sounded fresh, captured the attention of many and it also had totally different production to either of Olivia's two albums. At that point it became apparent the problem was not with a burnt out producer but instead with the artist at the centre and it was Olivia who had made a conscious choice to replicate the production and sonics of the first.

This did clarify that she was the one with power but it also sought to demonstrate that her capacity to progress and ultimately re-invent as an MPG hangs in the balance. As the opportunity was ripe for her to do so at her second album juncture and she simply never.

Now she has experienced a classic "sophomore slump" which has given her direct and first hand experience of the market reacting less positively to her and it's obvious to many that a lack of musical progression was key.

She has learnt from the "GUTS" experience now. She has since opened her mind by performing Ska inflected material with her idols No Doubt and there are rumors the singer from Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong) has volunteered himself as a potential co-producer for her third album.

The signs are there that all the lessons Olivia learned on her second outing will manifest more positively on her third. I wouldn't count her out just yet.

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Thanks 1

Guts was only did decent because of the success stans that thought she was gonna smash. She has never had it. I am glad the world has moved on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

It depends on her next era. I can see either the Alanis route (the lead is her last hit and mostly because on her name, every following single flops) or the Avril route (the lead will be her biggest hit to date but pigeonholes her to that exact sound) happening.

She can bounce back 

She does need to evolve into an adult artist, she's in her 20s now and she can stick to pop rock or do another genre but once she mature her image and music I think she will smash again

If she remains juvenile for teens Im afraid she might flop at some point

3 minutes ago, Trent W said:

:celestial5:    I am afraid SOUR was too big.  She should just retire....

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dante Silva said:

Olivia made an error by entering recording sessions for "GUTS" with an "if It ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. She played too safe and tried to replicate the sonics of her debut, but the engine was out of gas and the music never flowed as easy as it had on her debut.

For a long time everyone thought her producer Daniel was to blame for attempting to xerox the sonics, mood (and lack of progression) of her debut. Then to the shock of those who were paying attention the Roan Chappell album appeared out of nowhere (also produced by Daniel) after "GUTS".

The Roan album sounded fresh, captured the attention of many and it also had totally different production to either of Olivia's two albums. At that point it became apparent the problem was not with a burnt out producer but instead with the artist at the centre and it was Olivia who had made a conscious choice to replicate the production and sonics of the first.

This did clarify that she was the one with power but it also sought to demonstrate that her capacity to progress and ultimately re-invent as an MPG hangs in the balance. As the opportunity was ripe for her to do so at her second album juncture and she simply never.

Now she has experienced a classic "sophomore slump" which has given her direct and first hand experience of the market reacting less positively to her and it's obvious to many that a lack of musical progression was key.

She has learnt from the "GUTS" experience now. She has since opened her mind by performing Ska inflected material with her idols No Doubt and there are rumors the singer from Green Day (Billie Joe Armstrong) has volunteered himself as a potential co-producer for her third album.

The signs are there that all the lessons Olivia learned on her second outing will manifest more positively on her third. I wouldn't count her out just yet.

Her following the exact same sound was definitely influenced by the fact that Billie got dragged to hell and back with her sound and image change in HTE and the album underperforming compared to her debut.

I remember a lot of people saying she should've her image the same

Olivia played safe and underperformed too.

• Like 1

idk bad idea right? is still that girl for me

House Party Sleep GIF by Olivia Rodrigo

Curious though how GUTS and The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess were released very close to each other, both produced by Dan N*gro, and look at them now.

• Like 3

she's coming to smash next year in the Freaky Friday soundtrack 

• Haha 1

This might just be a sophomore slump. I think Olivia did a pretty good job at solidifying a fanbase.

People are very quick to declare these new girls as MPGs and we end up with Gayles and Tates that can't stay in the spotlight for more than a month.

• Like 1

she still has a huge fanbase, sold over 300k first week with guts, had a smash with vampire, and is on a sold out tour. i think bad idea right just killed the guts era on impact.

if she's smart, she'll follow the britney/avril print (sophomore album being a rehash of her debut, third album being a reinvention.) people like love is embarrassing and so american. she should continue down that path.

Edited by zweigson

I personally prefer Guts to Sour, but teen angst music has diminishing returns, so she just needs to make sure OR3 shows growth.

1 hour ago, Feanor said:

Olivia-Rodrigo-Guts-Tour-2024-Hero

In this current pop scene, where young girls like Sabrina Carpenter, Chappell Roan and (once again) Billie Eilish are really on everyone's lips as the future of pop, Olivia feels more like an… afterthought, at least right now. :lakitu:

:coffee2:  My sources say these girls are practically grandmothers compared to Olivia  

Atrlers acting like if you didn't make the same threads about Billie until 4 months ago

:suburban:

saying that yeah Billie is the most interesting artist in the new generation between the artists are more famous and at the top of the charts.

but what's the point to put Sabrina Carpenter and the other one in the discussion and in comparison with Billie and even Olivia. They  just started

Edited by vale9001
  • Confused 1

She's touring right now, I think she will be fine when she decides to release more music in the future. I'm interested to see if she changes her sound any for her third album. 

Olivia started extremely strong with Sour, so anything she released following that was always going to look like an underperformance.

Her recent arena tour has been a success and done well at the box office, and she has a strong fan base. She is young and can just continue releasing music without seeking big hits, the hits will happen on their own at this point as long as the music is good.

I do think for her next record she should push the boundaries a lot more than she did with Guts because there wasn't much of a difference. You can tell that she tried to play it safe to maintain her aesthetic and establish her sound to grow a loyal fanbase, and it worked because if she did something completely different she could have flopped.

• Like 4

You can like Olivia or not but we can't deny like Billie and most of the actual pop girls she is a singer songwriter...

i can imagine  the threads about Taylor speak now back in 2010 cause the album didn't make the same success of fearless especially in terms of radio hits. And then well....:ryan3:

this generation of new artists is different from Britney or Rihanna or Katy Perry in 2008. It can happen to have a transitory project when you don't make an album it's just trendy music made by a team of 20 people.  Their creative process is really different. The career path they try to build is very different. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

GUTS is an extremely quality follow up to SOUR. It's not rinse and repeat, it pushed her sound and her songwriting further. The rollout however… way too lead single/album centered. BIR?/GHB was an absolute mess and a travesty as both songs sound huge. The deluxe strategy also felt mismanaged. She has the talent, but she needs to tweak her strategy a bit for OR3 to get more than 1 BIG single. I fear she has classics on the way! 

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.