Has Olivia Rodrigo lost her momentum?

Feanor

Olivia-Rodrigo-Guts-Tour-2024-Hero

When she had her breakthrough, Olivia Rodrigo was It. She was talked about, her songs were massive, ditto her album, people couldn't wait what she'd do next etc. etc. But fast-forward to 2024, and the hype around Olivia feels more… muted. :lakitu: 

'GUTS' did well initially, but no song except "Vampire" has really stuck. The re-release and "Obsessed " didn't really make any noise either, at this year's Grammys she went home empty-handed and even on ATRL you don't really see her being discussed much anymore and the Olivia Avis seem to have vanished. :ninja:

In this current pop scene, where young girls like Sabrina Carpenter, Chappell Roan and (once again) Billie Eilish are really on everyone's lips as the future of pop, Olivia feels more like an… afterthought, at least right now. :lakitu:

So has Olivia Rodrigo lost her momentum? Can she regain it? Or does is she still #thatgirl and will be dominate the charts & headlines again when she launches OR3?

michael-jackson-reading.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Thumbs Down 22

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hawx23

• Blackout2006

• RoseBud

• zuper

Yeah, everybody moved on. Vampire was a fluke.

Everyone's eyes are now on Sabrina, Chappell, and Billie.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Thumbs Down 13

Guts' singles flopped outside of vampire so we'll have to see how her third era fares. The tour is selling tho. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lachlan said:

The Guts tour has double the amount of shows as Sabrina's. :deadbanana2:

Sabrina is clearly underestimating her touring power. She'll add more dates for sure

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I really liked her debut album it felt different and fresh, the second album I didn't like as much - the songs weren't as good and it was basically just a repeat of the first album. I think she needs to do something different for her 3rd album to engage her audience again so we'll have to see what route she goes down for that. 

• Like 6

No and only haters will disagree 

It's to be expected when your sound, aesthetic, and personality are tailored to a juvenile audience. They grow up and so does the artist and, naturally, it just doesn't hit the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

idk but she fumbled HARDDD with the rollout of GUTS

Edited by terrorblade

People said this about Billie and she proved her naysayers very wrong, people didn't learn from that example I guess.

Olivia will be fine, she's already established with Gen Z, super successful, selling out arena tours easily, and young enough she has a ton of room to reinvent herself and expand her sound a lot more.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It's very tricky and most of the times incorrect when it comes to Olivia.

I remember some users on Twitter in 2022 saying that she had no more momentum and then Vampire went #1 in 2023, the album had a larger sales week than Sour, and was at most times and places critically acclaimed by critics for Olivia's continued delving (more) into the pop rock/indie rock/alt rock palette of sounds. Moreover, she sold out arenas and is, at the moment, cementing herself as a touring force.

Yes, the album did make less noise than Sour, in terms of commercial success and virality. But it still did good for a follow-up to such a MONSTROUS smash of an album. 1 #1 single, 1 top 3 single. 2 top 15 singles. Album is still in top 50 after almost a year; and maybe eligible for probably 2 or 3x platinum. Many people did not enjoy the album but then many also did. And the critics liked it a lot, which I think helped Olivia's image as an artist and songwriter in that sense. A lot of this is very great for a mainstream artist's standards, but I think Olivia's standards in front of the public (and moreover in stan world) were raised quite significantly due to Sour.

So while she's on a successful tour right now and not as much in talks for her music at the moment, she will probably again have a #1 debut with her next lead single and if not a MEGASMASH, then a well-to-do, decently performing and critically well-received album. She's just fine.

But I would indeed like her to explore other sounds too but we will see in OR3.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

idk but GUTS is an amazing album and I hope she keeps making good music because for me GUTS is the best album between the most recent releases of these girlies :clap3:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Her tour is selling like hotcakes and is one of the reasons why Chappell Roan is having a huge breakthrough. They share the same producer, so he can definitely cook some hits for OR3. GUTS is already past 2M in the US. She's fine, she's versatile and she has hunger. She's definitely not a fad and this why she has fanbases from more successful women still pressed

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 3

Yes. I follow Swifties on Twitter and I'm aware of the Tayblessings effect and it's opposite cursing effect.

She's lost a lot of it (especially from SOUR) and needs to reinvent quickly or it's all over (well she always be famous. But you need that superstar fan push)

chaneloberlin

• Haha 1

her "the best damn thing" sellout era will turn things around for her i fear :WAP:

• Haha 1

Album 3 will tell us everything we need to know. 

Olivia has one of the biggest tours of the year, one of the best selling albums of last year, and a solid fanbase. She won't be a fad.

But I agree that her future commercial success depends on whether she sticks to pop rock. Hopefully, she'll find another subgenre of rock that the GP might enjoy because otherwise, I fear that Interscope will force her to make a pure pop album.

Edited by JoJo

I'm inclined to say yes, she's definitely lost some hype.

GUTS as an album did fine, but the singles really underperformed in a way that nobody expected. The deluxe tracks did even worse — even Obsessed is struggling to cross 200M despite a music video, TTH residency, and heavy radio push. :celestial5:

• Like 13

She is literally on a sold-out world tour right now. It feels like this forum calls any Gen Z pop girl who isn't busting their asses 24/7 or not doing constant drops/promotions as 'losing momentum' :deadbanana2:

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.