CrazySexyCool vs. The Writings on the Wall

naval23

Which one?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Better singles?

• CrazySexyCool (Waterfalls, Creep, Diggin On You, Red Light Special)
    • The Writings on the Wall (Bills Bills Bills, Bug a Boo, Say My Name, Jumpin Jumpin)
  2. 2. Better overall?

• CrazySexyCool
    • The Writings on the Wall
  3. 3. More iconic?

• CrazySexyCool
    • The Writings on the Wall

14 hours ago, mons†er said:

It's funny how so many people are choosing CSC but I guarantee you a lot of them don't know anything off that album except the singles. 

TWOW is R&B History. CS. doesn't have a song better than 'Say My Name', 'Hey Ladies' or have a song showcasing their vocals on an outro like 'Amazing Grace'.

CSC is good, but it doesn't have the variety, the vocals or showcased all the group member's personalities on each song. 

This TRL coded statement.

Kick your game and let's do it again as well as many other tracks.

Talking bout TWOW is R&B history when on its own it didn't make history until the scandal propelled Say my name due to new girls in the video.

Bills bills bills was another version of where my girls at which was supposed to be for TLC anyways and they got flack for coming across as gold diggers (for the fools who didn't listen to the lyrics and just the chorus), then followed it up with an underperforming Bug a boo (I love this song by the way) and then Say my name had the controversy and jumping jumping built off of it. People were making fun of them about having a stuttering issue after No no no bills bills bills and so good was a big radio only single in many urban markets.

Bills is iconic

Say my name is iconic

That's it for the singles and I say this painstakingly as Bug a boo, So good, and Jumpin Jumpin WERE MY JAMS.

CSC

Creep instantly iconic and a new sound for the 90s wave of r&b

Red light special infusing sensual r&b and pop rock flares. Rihanna's Kiss me better should send ha ha flowers cuz...

Don't go Jason Waterfalls. Mic drop

Diggin in you...my favorite single. Sexiest bridge ever and invented it's a vibe it's a vibe used from last decade. Invented midtempo hip hop r&b sensuality.

TWOW singles were more fun and exciting. CSC set the path forward for something fresh and new.

Edited by slw84

14 hours ago, mons†er said:

It's funny how so many people are choosing CSC but I guarantee you a lot of them don't know anything off that album except the singles. 

TWOW is R&B History. CS. doesn't have a song better than 'Say My Name', 'Hey Ladies' or have a song showcasing their vocals on an outro like 'Amazing Grace'.

CSC is good, but it doesn't have the variety, the vocals or showcased all the group member's personalities on each song. 

Lmao @ "showcasing all of the group members personalities on esch song." Latavia had a 40 second verse on track 15 of TWOTW and Letoya's highlight on the album is the top note on "Say My Name," and 99% of casual listeners don't even know it's her.  Vocally, the album showed two personalities: Beyoncé as a beast of a vocalist and Kelly as a great sidekick.

stellar background vocals but they were just that. 

CSC on the other hand, showed TLC's great ability to stand alone as recording artists outside of them being a collective group.

"Kick Your Game" and "Waterfalls" alone smashes your argument on versatility, as rap, pop, r&b and blues were all intertwined into crazysexycool as a record. 

I loved the overall vocal packaging of DC4 but that album was only digging into the soil of the ground that CSC broke. :sorry:

The real argument would be CSC vs TWOTW, as TWOTW is literally the daughter of that album. 

Edited by HïFidelity
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HïFidelity said:

Lmao @ "showcasing all of the group members personalities on one song." Latavia had a 40 second verse on track 15 of TWOTW and Letoya's highlight on the album is the top note on "Say My Name," and 99% of casual listeners don't even know it's her.

"Kick Your Game" and "Waterfalls" alone smashes your argument on versatility.

I loved the overall vocal packaging of DC4 but that album was only digging into the soil of the ground that CSC broke. :sorry:

TELLLLLLLLLLL
THEMMMMMMM

If we were doing a vocal comparison DC clears on their worst day.

But in terms of the musicality, the innovation, the overall packaging of CSC. This was the album that turned kid like Ooh on the TLC tip girls into young grown women. Even the reinvention clears.

There was no real growth from No, No, No to Bills Bills Bills and other singles. Quiet as its kept No, No, No clears one of two of TWOW singles but I'm not gonna say which ones...:coffee2:

You really can't name SWV, En vogue, Salt n pepa or any of the 80s girl groups that influenced CSC but it's clear that CSC and Brandy's sound with Rodney Jerkins influenced TWOW.

And TWOW is their best album so it's not a bad thing but CSC is the highest certified r&b girl group album of all time for a reason.

12 hours ago, jdanton2 said:

CrazySexyCool   easily. the title itself is iconic.

Honestly tho.  

Talk about a title that defined both the group and the vibe of the album perfectly -- it's chef's kiss all the way around.  

I prefer The Writing's on the Wall, on all counts. The overall musicality of it is just stronger, in my opinion, with the melodies, harmonies, vocal stylization, etc. For as great as CrazySexyCool is, it's practically body slammed by "Say My Name," alone.

It balances out, though, because I prefer FanMail over Survivor.

DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS.

Both 12/10 albums for me.

Gonna say Writing's just cause Beys vocals are on another level. :heart:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.