Should Houdini have been promoted more?

Lagerfeld

I feel like it was the perfect pop song, and I'm puzzled about it flopping. What happened? Should Dua have promoted more and taken vacations less?

ne7LodF.gif 

• Like 4

Yeah a dance ruotine on Fallon it's what gives you a hit in 2024. 

Absolutely, but that would mean less vacation time for our traveler chanteuse and she's not ready to take that risk

• Haha 1

her mistake in this song was that she promoted dance the night more than houdini when it came out :rip:

• Thanks 1

The first two posts don't make sense because she was promoting at the time, but she was doing her Oscar campaign for Dance The Night (delusional to think she was going to get in over Billie and Ryan) 

It would've been better spent promoting Houdini I agree, but it wouldn't have changed anything for the album since it came out so much later. 

No. I was here to promote it on ATRL while she was enjoying her life. Both of us doing what we love

• Haha 2

It should have been released like 2 months after it was actually released because she did not focus in it properly because DTN was at its peak at the time. A shame because Houdini is one of her best songs ever. 

• Like 2

The timing of the promo could've been better. Imagine if she debuted it with that amazing Grammy performance and a more gaggy MV... 

It remains one of her best songs (if not her best) and will go down as one of her staples. The performance is simply too good 

Edited by Mark Rih
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

idk but one thing I know is: houdini (extended edit)>>>houdini

that extra verse is how you do an extended version.

Totally! For comparison, she did a lot of performances for Don't Start Now and it really made a difference. Her singles respond really well to promo. With Houdini, she waited like 3 months to perform at the Grammys. I really think that if we had a performance on New Year's Rockin' Eve and on Fallon, they would surely give the song a good boost. The biggest problem for me was the release date. They should've waited and released it in February along with the Grammys performance. Anyways, Houdini is still one of Dua's best songs, if not THE. Serving quality unlike others are doing now. :clap3:

Edited by Migs

It was a mistake to release it just before the Christmas rush. It was not seasonal and got lost in the shuffle. After Christmas it was old and there were newer releases by other artists to focus on.  She should have seen 2023 out, kept the rollout quiet for longer and then slid in to the Feb/ March 2024 release cycle when the televised performances were broadcast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

her mistake in this song was that she promoted dance the night more than houdini when it came out :rip:

well, yes

also timing she should've released this in January/February 

6 hours ago, Alaska. said:

Absolutely, but that would mean less vacation time for our traveler chanteuse and she's not ready to take that risk

spacer.png

She was really foolish to release the song in November. Big artists should not even bother releasing singles in Q4 anymore. The holiday songs will always overshadow you on the charts now and there's nothing to be done about it. They will eat up your streaming and radio potential. She should've waited until early January like Ariana did for Yes, And. Would've kept people's attention longer.

She should have promoted more right after its release

I mean the real plan made a lot of sense

Promoting TS with DTN

Then HUGE promo for Houdini on album release 

No. She should have chosen a different lead something like "Angel of my Dreams" would have been a WW smash hit for her.

This song is a 10/10 and deserved a lot better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.