Does Taylor Swift lack a "cultural footprint"?

Lagerfeld

Cultural footprint = wigs, costumes, vibes :bibliahh:

Who cares about those things? No one. I mean look at Katy Perry or Gaga, you'll say they have immense cultural impact yet the GP doesn't care, based on how bad their music careers are doing (Gaga switched to acting permanently & Katy… well her career is basically over). :cm:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• charot

• WildHeart

• Monster Queen

• Miley Cyrus

I mean yes but y'all also need to get a job :khalyan:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Miley Cyrus said:

at least godley has distinguishable cultural moments like wild child phase, tongue, iconic alter ego, etc.

all taylor has is being a victim to kanye and scooter

No one in real life cares about Kanye and scooter in 2024, just like no one cares about Miley's tongue

spacer.png

The eras tour/Taylormania is 10x times more distinguishable and most importanly, more rememberable cultural moments than Miss Miley's entire career. 

Edited by Monster Queen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Slaying the charts and breaking records left and right without a single well known song only prove the fandriven allegations.

She's also never done anything memorable or iconic throughout her career. All she's got is sales.

Quick answer YES!

Edited by charot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, charot said:

The fandriven allegations.

that keep being mentioned for thoudsands time by ATRL user charot since the ages of gaga's domination but no matter how hard you try we both know it's not a truth

spacer.png

She doesn't lack a cultural footprint but it's definitely not as big as her stans make it out to be.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Monster Queen said:

that keep being mentioned for thoudsands time by ATRL user charot since the ages of gaga's domination but no matter how hard you try we both know it's not a truth

spacer.png

Except it's THE TRUTH 

1*K5F75blCytIVq33N_HxJtA.gif

Edited by charot
  • Thumbs Down 1

58 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

The way these threads have basically turned into a "how many posts before someone posts the Wikipedia article" speed run is sending me

The article has 519 references illustrating examples of her cultural impact so you can't really blame swifties for posting it.

OT: She is a globally successful and influential artist, but her ubiquity in the United States makes everything else look small.

Edited by gustavothehuman

10 minutes ago, charot said:

without a single well known song only prove the fandriven allegations.

If soon to be most streamed female song of all time is not well known, when was your fave's last well known solo hit? 

IMG_0226.gif?ex=6697a0ca&is=66964f4a&hm=

15 minutes ago, WildHeart said:

If soon to be most streamed female song of all time is not well known, when was your fave's last well known solo hit? 

Bloody Mary and Always Remember Us This Way made more noise and impact with the GP globally than anything Taylor Swift since Blank Space

And the way you had to specify SOLO we all know why

Spoiler

HojP2Bq.gif

Edited by charot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, charot said:

Bloody Mary and Always Remember Us This Way made more noise and impact with the GP than anything Taylor Swift since Blank Space

Oh-

if you actually believe this then I bless your soul

Edited by Monster Queen

Just now, Monster Queen said:

Oh-

48 minutes ago, Mark Rih said:

In the US and anglosphere, I don't think so. Outside? Definitely. She's been here this week and I've had multiple real life conversations about people not knowing a single song and not getting the hype. For instance we also had Coldplay here this past weekend and no one would ever start a similar conversation about them, the appeal is totally different

People are aware of this tour and of the phenomenon but they don't know what is actually going on with it and why it is so popular. Kinda a strange situation when you think about it 

I'm sure your handful of anecdotal conversations is a better metric of her cultural relevance than the multiple sold out stadium shows in your country! 

17 minutes ago, charot said:

Bloody Mary and Always Remember Us This Way made more noise and impact with the GP globally than anything Taylor Swift since Blank Space

Don't forget that Million Reasons and Rain On Me are also bigger songs than Cruel Summer

52 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

It's faux sophistication. Just enjoy the bops your fave gives you and call it a day. No need to overexaggerate every little thing someone does as culturally important. :rip:

but everything an artist put out contributes to culture as a whole and culture is one of the most important aspects of our society so it's something we should be talking about. i don't have any opinion on this thread's topic but discussing an artist's contribution to culture isn't bizarre imo. you can just chose not to engage in the conversation without calling people who like to discuss about culture pretentious. no wonder there's a trend of calling people NPCs if you only consume medias like a bot without questioning or discussing it :skull:

1 minute ago, WildHeart said:

Don't forget that Million Reasons and Rain On Me are also bigger songs than Cruel Summer

Well I guess you're right

31 songs and not a single hit. The album was also PANNED.

It just shows that her gigantic fanbase will stream any turd she releases, inflating her cultural relevance. She really hit the jackpot with the swifties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Patient Zero said:

31 songs and not a single hit. The album was also PANNED.

It just shows that her gigantic fanbase will stream any turd she releases, inflating her cultural relevance. She really hit the jackpot with the swifties.

Do swifties fall from the sky

She toured in my country this weekend. She had covers in every cultural and political magazine existing. Tv specials on television, talk shows in every channel dedicated to her persona and impact in industry, politics and culture. Library sections full of books about her and major newspapers published special inserts about her.  Never seen something like that for anyone, but even remotely.

She is the most impacting global musical figure of the 2000s. Just stan your favourite indutry puppet with a coloured wig and stop to being delusional :rofl:

Edited by vale9001
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Da Vinci said:

She's the musical equivalent of the MCU

ntm on the first franchise that sucessfully pulled off a shared universe

12 minutes ago, DevilsRollTheDice said:

I'm sure your handful of anecdotal conversations is a better metric of her cultural relevance than the multiple sold out stadium shows in your country! 

Literally anyone can sell out stadiums over here nowadays. As I said Taylor coming here felt huge, everyone was talking about the fans, the bracelets, the economic impact etc but at the same time the casual person questioned the reasons behind all of this.

52 minutes ago, Monster Queen said:

In my counrty (southEast Asia) Taylor is like the biggest western artists that ever existed and everybody is crazy about her. And as far as I know, Asia has more than half of the world's population, can people just stop acting like their country is the centre of the world :deadbanana4:

I was just speaking from personal

and very recent experience. Forgot about Asia, as someone part of the western world I never get a good idea of what is going on over there but yeah Taylor is definitely the biggest artist over there, even culturally. I think my perspective applies more to mainland Europe and LatAm

If she has one it's pale, bland, and smells like earring back

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

She toured in my country this weekend. She had covers in every cultural and political magazine existing. Tv specials on television, talk shows in every channel dedicated to her persona and impact in industry, politics and culture. Library sections full of books about her and major newspapers published special inserts about her.  Never seen something like that for anyone, but even remotely.

She is the most impacting global musical figure of the 2000s. Just stan your favourite indutry puppet with a coloured wig and stop to being delusional :rofl:

True for all of this.

But at the same time you're telling me you never got into conversation with someone not getting her popularity? Or not being able to name one of her songs? 

Coldplay toured our country this weekend too and it definitely felt more of a "GP" event

I'm not dragging Taylor (irdc about ha) but I genuinely never hear her songs in public or socials. Like I have never heard Fortnight and I've only heard Anti-Hero when I went out of my way to truly listen after 6 months. Back in the 00s and 10s I used to hear IKYWT, WANEGBT, and other hits in public or socials. Now its like Taylor's stan base is so massive that full support from them + a very small amount of the GP will equate to massive chart success. This is just my perspective. Somwhere around Reputation/Lover was when I stopped hearing the music itself. But honestly this is good place to be for an artist. Her smaller projects will never dip below 500k first week. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WildHeart said:

Do swifties fall from the sky

The masses are asses and she figured a way to capitalize that market.  No other artist could release something as terrible as TTPD and pull these numbers. But she got the swifties by the balls, and they seem to love it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.