The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 1 [winner revealed]

Suilen

As much as I love JUICY, does anyone else think the "here's my new single... it's four songs!" releases are a tad cheap and messy? :rip:

I know this is ancient history, getting mad about a J-pop practice from 20 years ago but nnn. Maybe I'm just pressed Ayu's July 1st never got the video it would've as a standalone release...

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Kyle-x

• Curaga

• Graves

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Suilen said:

This potential 11

iwNCucG.gif

it would have launched into the top 3 at the least I fear

iwNCucG.gif

Just now, Graves said:

As much as I love JUICY, does anyone else think the "here's my new single... it's four songs!" releases are a tad cheap and messy? :rip:

I know this is ancient history, getting mad about a J-pop practice from 20 years ago but nnn. Maybe I'm just pressed Ayu's July 1st never got the video it would've as a standalone release...

Absolutely not, at least for Kuu's case! Kuu's 4A side singles "4 hot wave" and "4 TIMES" are iconic and each song has a PV. I need another 4A side single for her 25th anniversary next year.

2 minutes ago, Graves said:

Where each 4 Hot Wave song got a video, I think that kinda makes up for it, but calling it a single is a bit of a stretch :deadbanana4: Like, that's a full-on EP now, Miss Kumiko!

• Like 2

5. Shake It

1Tb8yaj.png

misonos: romiskes, AMIT, UrMom, Fevesy, Britneyfan09 (10); Kyle-x, D.D.D. (9,5)
Newtsters: Maresia (4)

To me, this is her quintessential song (not necessarily the best one, but the one that reflect her ~artistry~ the most). The lyrics are quite delicious, too, and she wrote them herself! The entire girls〜Selfish〜 project was interesting, and while it didn't even hit top 10, it made sense for her to release a DVD single since she relies on the visuals a lot. The lebanese vibes in the video, whew.

Kyle-x: "We can't lie and say the video didn't eat everyone up."
getinthezone: "would be a 10 if it was not for the dance break"
Fevesy: "The secret ~FIRST CLASS LIMITED LIVE~ live performance when she grabs the male dancers crotch and simulates fellatio.. oh that's when my sister was about that life"
AMIT: "one of her hottest songs, doesn't get better than a grimy bop like this"
Graves: "So like, it's a fun sex bop with the campest, corniest interlude I might've ever heard. I'm torn, girls. Do I love or hate it?"

secret

JKt9toQ.jpg

Average: 7.24

58. 24 - 5.77
52. hands - 6.5
48. Hot Stuff - 6.82
42. 奇跡 - 6.99
27. Chase - 7.48
21. Selfish - 7.59
9. キューティーハニー - 8.25
5. Shake It - 8.55

• Like 1

User Aphasia strikes again.

• Haha 1

I... maybe I need to listen again, but I'm shocked that this outcharted Selfish, Chase and Cutie Honey :rip: And made the top five.

I would never have guessed this would be in top 5

NSzmhiC.png

Kinda boring imo, oop :mandown:

Thanks to @Maresia for keeping me just barely out of the newtsters list:gaycatina1:

• Like 1

Iconic song and video. Who can forget the iconic Trick tour performance

KodaKumiStageFuck.gif

• Haha 4

Just now, Curaga said:

I would never have guessed this would be in top 5

NSzmhiC.png

Kinda boring imo, oop :mandown:

Thanks to @Maresia for keeping me just barely out of the newtsters list:gaycatina1:

I don't even think it's boring, I like the sultry parts a lot, but when she starts telling me to put my ass into it... :rip:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Graves said:

It's more the fact that A and H were released before the CD+DVD format came into fashion because & and L were triple a-sides that all got music videos since they could do a CD+DVD with the album (and the single for L). Also H was one of 6 singles she released in the span of a year (while recording 2 albums) while also doing a stadium and arena tour that year so the triple a-side made the single lucrative to buy for fans when she might not have had time to shoot videos between all of her projects

Edited by Kyle-x
  • Like 1

Just now, Graves said:

I don't even think it's boring, I like the sultry parts a lot, but when she starts telling me to put my ass into it... :rip:

Well, don't keep her waiting!

KodaKumiStageFuck.gif

• Haha 1

secret kind of washing Black Cherry in the rankings :jonny: oh smash smash

4. Crazy 4 U

tucVPdv.png

misonos: @romiskes, @confide in me (11); AMIT, UrMom, Meloetta Carey, D.D.D. (10)
Newtsters: Maresia (6)

A bop. No particular tea for this one, except for the fact that it was used in an anime series named Gilgamesh, and maybe that somehow led to the creation of this character. No idea.

Kyle-x: "She had to come up with something quick, the rebrand serve arrived. Y'all should check out the b-side and remix on this single, both are excellent."
AMIT: "the hottest she's ever looked in an MV?"
Graves: "Lmao this is song is so stupid yet so cool. Queen of multitudes."
poki: "She did this for the kinky ladies."

feel my mind

QyjN0qx.jpg

Average: 7.54

46. Gentle Words - 6.89
40. COME WITH ME - 7.03
4. Crazy 4 U - 8.69

• Like 2

Huge bop, good place for it.

2 minutes ago, Suilen said:

40. COME WITH ME - 7.03

thanks but painful... :chick3:

1 minute ago, Graves said:

thanks but painful... :chick3:

should've been right next to Crazy 4 U in the top 5 :chick3:

• Like 1

A bop! Good placement.

Posted (edited)

3. ECSTASY

j9QeqLC.png

misonos: romiskes, Curaga, Kyle-x, AMIT, UrMom, Fevesy, Britneyfan09, D.D.D., Invisibility, poki (10)
Newtsters: Maresia (6); Meloetta Carey (6.38); Galaxy (6.5)

She might not have written this one, but it managed to resonate with people either way. An interesting number, I think I used to hate it, but it's grown on me. Also, here we have the biggest gap between songs on one single here (tied with Physical thing). Oops.

Curaga: "Talk about a grower: I originally had this at a 6, probably due to listening fatigue since it's near the end of the list, but this is a hit and in my top 10!"
Kyle-x: "10 The true star of "3 SPLASH" whew. Bring back fun autotune!"
Fevesy: "Was in the running for my 11, aged super well"
Graves: "Bit of unconventional structure to this one, and blaring sirens in a pop song always herald great servitude I fear."
Invisibility: "She did this for the popper ladies. Easily one of her best productions because, as much as I love when she gets all up in your face, the bubbling riffs underneath the choruses are delicioouus."

UNIVERSE

SvvoxO7.jpg

Average: 7.01 (will be updated when we have Can We Go Back's result)

60. Alive - 5.19
56. Lick me - 6.17
53. It's all Love! - 6.31
7. Physical thing - 8.48
3. ECSTASY - 8.91

Edited by Suilen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kyle-x said:

Gretchen Dancing GIF - Gretchen Dancing - Discover & Share GIFs

ok wait... OMG

bd1f0b669aaf207286d2800bfa58320b3fdc2bcb

e8544d935257771c61e224b7616acf0a9409dd6d

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suilen said:

misonos: romiskes, Curaga, AMIT, UrMom, Fevesy, Britneyfan09, D.D.D., Invisibility, poki (10)

Where is my name with the 10s I adore this smash :jonny: 

1 minute ago, Curaga said:

ok wait... OMG

e8544d935257771c61e224b7616acf0a9409dd6d

EXACTLYYYY

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.