The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 1 [winner revealed]

Suilen

2 minutes ago, Britneyfan09 said:

Thank you!! :jonny: Not even Avex shutting down Kuu's global fanclub will stop me from going to the 25th anniversary tour :emofish: 

avex they could never make us like you, but against all odds you prevailed :jonny: 

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Kyle-x

• Curaga

• Graves

Top Posters In This Topic

7. Physical thing

mi5Wc6u.png

misonos: romiskes, UrMom, Fevesy, poki (10); Meloetta Carey (9.8); D.D.D., Invisibility (9.5)
Newtsters: Curaga (5)

Oh, I like this one, but people were doing too much. Still, I can't deny that there was something in the water in 2009 that made the girls release these bangers. I was just getting into music in general, and songs like Sparkle, WILD, TABOO (actually from 2008, but the album was released in 2009, so still counts) held my interest for longer than some stuff from the American side. There was something interesting about the production, something futuristic, but not cringe futuristic like BEP's Boom Boom Pow, for example. Anyway, I don't want to go all snobbish over j-pop, I'm over my JAPAN SUPERIOR era, but that time was special, almost magical.

Kyle-x: "Lovee the production."
getinthezone: "good but a bit repititive"
AMIT: "I used to low key hate this song, thought it was generic and it reminded me of not myself tonight, but now I see it for the bop it is"
Graves: "The delivery is very J-pop for sure, but otherwise could've seen this as a fun, post-Gaga, western pop girl track that peaks at a modest 17 in the UK singles chart but gets lauded as a lost pop classic by online gays. So yeah, it's good."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Curaga said:

The way you know litchrally every remix and B-side :deadbanana2:

I thought I was a music nerd, but I don't think there's an artist I have that knowledge for. You're inspiring me a little! 

ee7f1de7aad9c1644c68a264848147fa742e97ce

Back in the pre-streaming days I would literally get every track I could for an artist I loved ddd :jonny: and I have a soft spot for remixes in general (especially as an ayu stan with her 238490284209 remixes)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Newtsters: Curaga (5)

Not my score being even lower than Suilen's 

I won't lie and say it's not an amazing song but I personally wouldn't have put it in the top 10. That being said it does go AWF :gaycatina1:

queen of live

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Suilen said:

Oh, I like this one, but people were doing too much. Still, I can't deny that there was something in the water in 2009 that made the girls release these bangers. I was just getting into music in general, and songs like Sparkle, WILD, TABOO (actually from 2008, but the album was released in 2009, so still counts) held my interest for longer than some stuff from the American side. There was something interesting about the production, something futuristic, but not cringe futuristic like BEP's Boom Boom Pow, for example. Anyway, I don't want to go all snobbish over j-pop, I'm over my JAPAN SUPERIOR era, but that time was special, almost magical.

!!!!!!!

This is so true. 2009 was such an amazing year to be a j-pop stan with the Avex trinity still thriving :weeps: 

• Like 2

Just now, Curaga said:

Not my score being even lower than Suilen's 

Well, I didn't drag it that badly, just enough not to be above the next entry, which is a classic that got sabotaged.

3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

songs like Sparkle, WILD, TABOO

mariah-carey.gif

I'm never telling you the winner again @AMIT

• Haha 2

Just now, Suilen said:

Well, I didn't drag it that badly, just enough not to be above the next entry, which is a classic that got sabotaged.

This better not be what I think it is :clack:

"Japanese people don't think hard" - Empress Namie, when she saw Kuu's ballads outcharting her bops.

• Haha 5

sometimes Western pop can't nail a sound right, I think the same thing happened in the mid-to-late 2010s with trop house, future bass, and the other EDM stuff from that time

6 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Edited by Meloetta Carey
  • Like 1

mi5Wc6u.png

wait, this is better than I remember... Maybe I was a little harsh, but at the same time, I wouldn't change my score given its placement 

:sistrens:

• Haha 1

6. JUICY

yOrceXb.png

misonos: romiskes, Kyle-x, Fevesy, Britneyfan09, Graves, Invisibility, poki (10); Suilen, D.D.D. (9.5)
Newtsters: @Galaxy (0)

The last 4 hot wave single, the last Black Cherry single standing. An iconic song in the international community, iconic for some Japanese salarymen, too. Physicals-wise, the single was a success, but Koi no Tsubomi and Yume no Uta had the ringtone industry in the chokehold. The photoshoot is rife with the 'ethnic hip', but maybe we lost something when she dropped the Dora the Explorer act. The sabotage is regrettable, even the one TABOO doubter was more graceful.

Curaga: "JUICY, WHOA :thing: ..."
Kyle-x: "Instantly iconic. I mean the video alone…"
getinthezone: "iconic, a bit too long though"
Fevesy: "Yeah.. we all remember where we were when we saw her and that bottle for the first time"
Graves: "Singing a sultry **** bop and pairing it to demented chiptune-sounding ringtones was an inspired choice (truly!). This is the kind of song that feels cutting edge at the time, dated as hell ten years later, and then cutting edge all over again after another decade. Brilliant."
Invisibility: "Kinda invented the bleep bloop music genre."

Black Cherry

lj9DOtQ.jpg

Average: 7.47

54. 運命 - 6.30
35. I'll be there - 7.15
33. Cherry Girl - 7.22
30. 夢のうた - 7.42
20. 人魚姫 - 7.62
19. 恋のつぼみ - 7.63
13. With your smile - 7.94
6. JUICY - 8.5

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Still, I can't deny that there was something in the water in 2009 that made the girls release these bangers.

KISS KISS KISS by Ami Suzuki, Lady-Rise by Maki Goto, Kiss Kiss Kiss :eli: by BENI, touch ME! by Mai Kuraki, Hear the Alarm? by Meisa Kuroki, SAYONARA Baby by Miliyah Kato... some of my most played songs from 2009 J-Pop albums :jonny: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suilen said:

lj9DOtQ.jpg

Average: 7.47

54. 運命 - 6.30
35. I'll be there - 7.15
33. Cherry Girl - 7.22
30. 夢のうた - 7.42
20. 人魚姫 - 7.62
19. 恋のつぼみ - 7.63
13. With your smile - 7.94
6. JUICY - 8.5

So many fuckiing BOPS on this album :WAP: This might be tied with BEST 〜second session〜 for my fav Kuu album

• Like 2

Why am i kinda shocked this missed top 5

Not a zero for this classic....

:clack:

I wonder where Get Up & Move!! would place if released as a single

3 minutes ago, Suilen said:

Graves: ... This is the kind of song that feels cutting edge at the time, dated as hell ten years later, and then cutting edge all over again after another decade.

ahajlhdghasdgais :deadbanana2:

Just now, Kyle-x said:

I wonder where Get Up & Move!! would place if released as a single

This potential 11

iwNCucG.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.