The Kumi Koda Singles Rate, Pt. 1 [winner revealed]

Suilen

4 minutes ago, Graves said:

Wish No Tricks had been a single. Can't say I'm torn up to see this album go though.

Obviously people were only buying it off of the strength of her early singles and their secret love for Come With Me...

NO TRICKS definitely should've been a single :jonny: I wonder if they thought it was too similar a vibe to HOT STUFF. But that didn't stop them from releasing 3 ballads in a row for the next singles...

• Like 1

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Suilen

• Kyle-x

• Curaga

• Graves

Top Posters In This Topic

15. real Emotion

E3GQQkk.png

misonos: @Curaga (11); Kyle-x, UrMom, Fevesy (10)

Newtsters: Galaxy (3)

Well, everyone knows what this song was for. At the time, it became her most successful single. I suppose an interesting fact is that she was about to give up on being a singer if the song flopped. Due to the underperformance of her previous singles, she felt like her music was 'unnecessary', so when the song hit Oricon's top 10, she was relieved. I have my gripes with FF-X2, but it did save her career and led to us having countless bops later.

Curaga: Possibly the greatest song ever produced

giphy.gif

Kyle-x: "A classique for a reason."

Fevesy: "Since I had to buy another copy of FFX-2 cause I kept restarting the game to listen to this and eventually broke the disk, I'm counting every sale of FFX-2 + HD Remaster towards this, so this song sold 11 million+ copies in my mind!"

AMIT: "a bit too LGBTQ for me"

Graves: "Obviously a lot of fun, but she has much better."

grow into one

Average: 7.37

ArIaBfp.png

47. maze – 6.86

41. love across the ocean – 7.02

17. 1000の言葉 – 7.75

15. real Emotion – 7.84

• Thanks 1

Just now, Suilen said:

AMIT: "a bit too LGBTQ for me"

this was not the song I thought this comment would be related to :deadbanana2:but... it is very LGBTQ oomf spilled

• Haha 1

I kinda figured this would have managed to get to like #10 ngl :jonnycat:

don't come for me I still gave it a 9, I was just trying to cause some drama

y'all did this CLASSIC album wrong though :weeps:

also justice for Nasty girl oh the BOP that you are 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

maze was done wrong

r6qLPB4.gif

• Like 2

Just now, Suilen said:

love across the ocean was done wrong

r6qLPB4.gif

tea 😞

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suilen said:

So Into You was done wrong

r6qLPB4.gif

exactly :clap3: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Suilen said:

15. real Emotion

E3GQQkk.png

misonos: @Curaga (11)

nn a predictable 11 from me 

:suburban:

But really honestly truly, this has to be in my top 10 songs of all time, any artist. When the FFX-2 intro movie was uploaded online before the game came out, gay little me was so obsessed with it that I watched it constantly up until the game's release. I watched it so many times that, to this day, I can sing along with my made up version of the Japanese I learned to mimic back then. I should probably make an effort to learn to sing the real lyrics ddd

61ef7a984a4b60394a59de62e08441296a6ca5a4

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Suilen said:

ArIaBfp.png

She invented Brat here :clap3: 

• Haha 3

as for real Emotion... good place for it. I don't think she's top ten material tbh.

I guess I'm more of a FFXII girly!

Sweetbox version would have been an 11, sorry Kumi!

r6qLPB4.gif

Just now, Fevesy said:

Sweetbox version would have been an 11, sorry Kumi!

r6qLPB4.gif

Absolutely not! I prefer Jade's version of 1000 Words since I like that song for its English lyrics (and the composition is pretty good too), but Koda's version of real Emotion eats up Jade's version EASILY. Koda's is the definitive version. :gaygacat5:

What makes me baffled is the fact that she had the English versions of both songs recorded, and yet they didn't use them for the International version of the game. Yeah, they might be inferior, but that would be such a great exposure for her and j-pop. avex done ****** up, and not the first time when it comes to her or j-pop in general. Now they have to cosplay as k-pop to appeal to the rest of the world, which has already moved on.

• Like 1

14. Candy (feat. Mr. Blistah)

mjfkmbt.png

misonos: @Fevesy (11); romiskes, Kyle-x, AMIT, Britneyfan09, D.D.D. (10)

Newtsters: Curaga (2)

Maybe cultural appropriation isn't so bad when it leads to bops like this.

Curaga: "They call him Mr. Blistah because that's what he leaves in my ears"

Kyle-x: "WHEW. No notes. They compliment each other well."

Fevesy: "Yeah.. we're gonna have to give a her a lifetime pass on cultural appropiation for this.. I played this in the car for the rate and it invoked some classless emotions and at that point I knew I had to give this it's deserved 11"

getinthezone: "would be a 10 without mr pisstah"

AMIT: "princess kumi ATE this one I fear"

Meloetta Carey: "I think this cover was on an autogenerated afro-caribbean music compilation on Apple Music or something. #INTERNATIONAL_IMPACT"

Graves: "Grimy, sleazy, sexy, mysterious, never-the-same, eat it, vomit it, give birth to it, unbound by what has been and what will come to be… woof."

Just now, Suilen said:

What makes me baffled is the fact that she had the English versions of both songs recorded, and yet they didn't use them for the International version of the game. Yeah, they might be inferior, but that would be such a great exposure for her and j-pop. avex done ****** up, and not the first time when it comes to her or j-pop in general. Now they have to cosplay as k-pop to appeal to the rest of the world, which has already moved on.

The lyrical differences between the two English versions are interesting. I have to say though, they must have brought in a native English speaker because of Kuu's English pronunciation sadly

:suburban:

I'm used to it now for the most part, but I still chuckle when I hear her say, "Crap your hands," in some of these songs :skull:

• Haha 1

Oh this smash :jonny: I love it but #14 feels like a good spot for it. 

the feature here is so seamless and actually... good, tf were you smoking @Curaga

• Haha 2

ATE, and Ayumi looks SO ******* pretty at the start of the video :jonny:

• Like 2

I don't wanna be the basic ***** who's all in on TABOO but... all my other faves are leaving I fear :jonny2:

13. With your smile

liTKjhk.png

misonos: Curaga, Kyle-x, UrMom, D.D.D. (10)

Newtsters: getinthezone, Fevesy, Frappucino, Meloetta Carey (6)

I should hate this based on the title, but it's kinda cute done right, though it outlasting Ningyo-hime is inchresting… Anyway, more JUICE when the final 4 hot wave song is out. Could it be today?

Kyle-x: "She did her damn thing with "4 hot wave", all killer no filler."

AMIT: "love her bouncy dance songs like this"

Meloetta Carey: ""Come With Me" the shequel"

Graves: "All of her cutesy songs sound like anime theme songs or something. In a derogatory way."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graves said:

@Curaga come outside, we just wanna talk.

b2d35d491d951548828d538693383a8d.jpg

3 minutes ago, AMIT said:

the feature here is so seamless and actually... good, tf were you smoking @Curaga

2 minutes ago, Suilen said:

@Curaga Maybe you're the blistah, sister.

I was on very a strict misandry diet, I fear. 

7ed893de93370bb071b9f09b16095a865ba8a28c

But as far as this type of song, I like So Nice and Amai Wana much better :sorry:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.