Why don't we hear more about Drag Kings?

Distantconstellation

I find them a lot more interesting than drag queens personally but it's seems they have almost no visibility. Atrl never seems to acknowledge them at all. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

I find them a lot more interesting than drag queens personally but it's seems they have almost no visibility. Atrl never seems to acknowledge them at all. 

How are they "more interesting than drag queens?"  I saw a drag king  on matty Morphisis interview and I understood why they are still very very very much niche. 

Edited by terrijoe

Because they're not interesting.

• Haha 1

never heard of drag kings tbh

• Confused 1

maybe start a tiktok account dedicated to them to gain that visibility or something idk

RbLS7sJ.gif

• Haha 1

it's more interesting seeing a man dressed as a woman than a woman being a butch

• Confused 2

For the same reason male popstars get much less media coverage than female popstars. Because they're boring

• Like 2

Not yas queen slay mama boots the house down enough for people, but you could find them in lesbian bars, I think.

Because being man is boring 

• Like 1

I definitely have seem some very entertaining Drag King performances, but I agree that imitating men is just not as interesting especially visually. 

• Like 1

y'all don't watch Dragula and it shows 

but also - support your local drag scene. drag kings tend to be more common in local scenes, in my experience an average drag show at a local gay bar is more diverse than a season of RPDR. as much as we can celebrate RuPaul's achievements, he's not all that drag has to offer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Male aesthetics are boring. 

• Like 5

Same reason we never hear about Lesbians...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

there are many of them who are interesting and boring, same with drag queens..

• Like 1

Femininity is more interesting than masculinity :giraffe:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daddy said:

Same reason we never hear about Lesbians...

what is that reason?

6 hours ago, terrijoe said:

How are they "more interesting than drag queens?"  I saw a drag king  on matty Morphisis interview and I understood why they are still very very very much niche

care to elaborate?

1 hour ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

what is that reason?

They're not loud enough and people aren't here for them in comparison. 

3 hours ago, alfonso12 said:

Male aesthetics are boring. 

U can pass for a drag king tbh. My friend is a drag king and she had a similar look to you. 

Part of the popularity of drag queens is the controversy and marginalisation of men being genderqueer and performing exaggerated/caricaturised femininity. The inverse is considered uneventful just because it's seen as substantially more acceptable. Similarly butch lesbians and trans men are seen as infinitely more palatable and acceptable than queer men or trans women because masculinity is seen as ideal and the inverse is not true. 

• Like 2

They tried in Mexico last year with the Mentidrags theater play and well... they tried :eli:

regina-blandon-incorpora-mentidrags-emma

52 minutes ago, Distantconstellation said:

U can pass for a drag king tbh. My friend is a drag king and she had a similar look to you. 

Ehmmmm... ok. :psyduck:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Distantconstellation said:

This took me out :deadbanana2:

• Haha 2

Now sure if ATRL is the place to ask this question

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.