Why wasn't Beyonce nominated for BNA at the Grammys in 04?

Punky Rooster

It seems strange that Grammy darling Beyonce wasn't even nominated for Best New Artist at the 04 Grammy awards. She was eligible as she had only released 1 solo single prior (Work It Out) and not her debut full length album until 03. Surely everyone was expecting a Lauren Hill style sweep for her this year. What happened?

Beyoncé wasn't the BNA of 2004 by miles. She's doesn't have a Christina or an Alicia type of acclaim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

I'm assuming because of Destiny's Child.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, A-V-XYZ said:

Beyoncé wasn't the BNA of 2004 by miles. She's doesn't have a Christina or an Alicia type of acclaim.

The OP says nominated though...

Bey should've at least been nominated

Reading is essential!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Attitude said:

I'm assuming because of Destiny's Child.

True,  though Jody Watley won Best New Artist in 1988 after already having success with Shalamar.

because she was no Ashanti 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hector said:

True,  though Jody Watley won Best New Artist in 1988 after already having success with Shalamar.

The rules say you're allowed to submit 3 times total combined with solo/group submissions. I'm assuming she submitted twice with Destiny's Child and once solo. I think she submitted Work It Out and probably Best New Artist for 2003. That would make her ineligible for 2004. :michael:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Attitude said:

The rules say you're allowed to submit 3 times total combined with solo/group submissions. I'm assuming she submitted twice with Destiny's Child and once solo. I think she submitted Work It Out and probably Best New Artist for 2003. That would make her ineligible for 2004. :michael:

Yeah I think this is the answer

31 minutes ago, A-V-XYZ said:

And that is why Bey is still getting hits, critical acclaimed albums, GRAMMY noms and overall success over those two you mentioned.

:sistrens:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

37 minutes ago, A-V-XYZ said:

More proof as to why it's preferable to peak later in your career since Bey now has more acclaim than those two combined. Must suck to be chasing the success and acclaim of your debut to never see that again despite several attempts. 

• Thanks 5

She was neither new nor one of the best :coffee2:

Spoiler

Nor even an artist to begin with

• Thumbs Down 7

Very strange tbh. I was sure she was getting the nomination. Would have been nice. 

She had already won a Grammy, as a songwriter for the Destiny's Child wins. So she was ineligeble. 

• Thanks 3

she was part of a girl group, it was one of their rules iirc hence why camila wasn't eligible in 2018 or zayn/harry styles in 2017, etc

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

She was neither new nor one of the best :coffee2:

Hide contents

Nor even an artist to begin with

Who do you stan? I already know but I want you to say it with your chest

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, futuresuperstar2023 said:

Who do you stan? I already know but I want you to say it with your chest

Baby I don't care if you make fun of Britney. It doesn't affect me nor does it offend me if you think an artist I like is the worst thing to ever exist. Grow up.

Edited by dumbsparce

2 hours ago, A-V-XYZ said:

Christina used to be panned :rip:

• Thanks 1

shakira wasn't nominated either, they're racists 

1 minute ago, dumbsparce said:

Baby I don't care if you make of Britney. It doesn't affect me nor does it offend me if you think an artist I like is the worst thing to ever exist. Grow up.

Telling someone to grow up while you cling to an artist from the 00s…:chick1:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rotunda said:

Telling someone to grow up while you cling to an artist from the 00s…:chick1:

Cling? Am I supposed to drop artists from the 00s in favor of new ones? Wtf is this logic? As if Beyonce didn't come out in the 90s.

She won a grammy before that already. That makes her ineligible 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dumbsparce said:

Baby I don't care if you make of Britney. It doesn't affect me nor does it offend me if you think an artist I like is the worst thing to ever exist. Grow up.

I love Britney but saying that Beyonce is not an artist while being a stan of somebody who Beyonce is naturally more talented than is ******* crazy lmao. It's more than just a stan war with y'all it's the flat out delusions. Be real with yourselves.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Christina used to be panned :rip:

But some other Xtina stan implied Alicia Keys and Xtina are in a better position than Bey now that they won BNA.

Edited by abrahamjmr
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dumbsparce said:

Cling? Am I supposed to drop artists from the 00s in favor of new ones? Wtf is this logic? As if Beyonce didn't come out in the 90s.

This (presumably) late in your life, I would hope you'd have evolved past a need to repeat the same tired digs at your fav's TRL-era peers in every thread you enter, but wisdom does not always come with age. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, futuresuperstar2023 said:

I love Britney but saying that Beyonce is not an artist while being a stan of somebody who Beyonce is naturally more talented than is ******* crazy lmao. It's more than just a stan war with y'all it's the flat out delusions. Be real with yourselves.

ok. I can be real with myself and think that Britney has way more artistic merit than Beyonce's forced, gimmicky & pretentious artistry and media propaganda.

Edited by dumbsparce

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.