If ATRL existed in the 90s?

Virgos Groove

What would the dynamics be? Which acts would be dominate the site? Who would be their cult girls, equivalent to Carly and Tinashe?

spacer.png

My predictions:

Madonna vs. Janet vs. Mariah vs. Whitney on a daily basis, with Céline stans (and lots of bandwagoners) joining in the mid-90s. Things would get ugly in the Erotica era. :dies:

George Michael would be like Shawn or Harry, but actually talented. Lots of speculation on his sexuality and endless discourse on whether he's "queerbaiting".

Whitney stans would be like the Navy, spending 8 years asking for an album and only getting side projects in the meantime (though theirs were at least musical :rip:).

I can see Oasis having a few stans, but most of this place would hate them. Every time they did something, their threads would be filled with that "Enough" gif.

U2 would be really disliked entering the decade, but Achtung and Zooropa would convert some ATRLers.

The US/Europe divide would be way more pronounced and toxic, with endless comparisons between the US Hot 100 and the Europe Hot 100.

Kylie would become an ATRL darling after BTDYK, but negatively compared to Madonna around 1991/92. Janet stans would be their unlikely ally.

I can see this hapenning too:

"Confide in Me released in the US. Is Kylie coming to smash?"

*a week later*

"Kylie's US label goes bankrupt" :dies:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Virgos Groove

• Miracle Whip

• Marianah Adkins

• KatyPrismSpirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Paula Abdul stans would've been persecuted on here just like the Katy Cats are now :cries:

• Haha 14

The thread announcing that Geri left the Spice Girls would be 97363728 pages long. Imagine the meltdowns (including mine). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

everyone vote Radio Friendly Unit Shifter off in the In Utero survivor yass and legg and tubulariana and radicalianaaaa

I'd be bullied for being a Prince fan just like i was then :dies:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

idk abt the pop girls but the r&b stans would be a bloodbath.

• Like 1

the thread of Emotions by Mariah Carey underperforming after the smash debut that was Mariah self-titled wouldve been so funny

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

No one wants to wake up to the news I woke up to this morning. No one.

fuuuuck this was exactly what I wanted to post :bibliahh:

and not 800DM... I can't. haha

Edited by Schami66
  • Haha 2

Genie in a Bottle 2nd Best selling Single of 1999? Why? 

"Cyndi's last hit was in 1989. Why?"

"Who will be the next girl to have their own The Bodyguard?"

Constant Madonna vs Janet flamebait threads , especially after that Janet quote "they shipped but it got shipped back"

"Who has the biggest career? Cher or Barbra?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Shampoo had stans, there would have been fights over Geri Halliwell taking this song title and claiming it as an artefact of Spice Girls branding (years before she admitted she did).

Posted (edited)

they shipped it, but it got shipped back

I haven't paid attention to Madonna since 8th grade when she used to be popular

what I do has class to it

I am not sure if it's true but I remember that I saw somewhere Madonna said she would rather kill herself than being Mariah Carey or something

all Whitney shade 

just IMAGINE the threads lmao, these girls were ruthless

like the only similar thing that we ever got in our timeline was good luck booking that stage you speak of and even Rih comes of as amateur next to the **** the OG 4 were saying about each other :rip: it would be so entertaining

Edited by M!X
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

omg imagine all the sassy/diva interview moments from Mariah, Madonna, Whitney and Janet. the amount of gifs that would flood this place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, M!X said:

they shipped it, but it got shipped back

I haven't paid attention to Madonna since 8th grade when she used to be popular

what I do has class to it

I am not sure if it's true but I remember that I saw somewhere Madonna said she would rather kill herself than being Mariah Carey or something

all Whitney shade 

just IMAGINE the threads lmao, these girls were ruthless

like the only think that we ever got in our timeline was good luck booking that stage you speak of and even Rih comes of as amateur next to the **** the OG 4 were saying about each other :rip: it would be so entertaining

The fact that the music industry back then (even the era in general) was ruthless af… the bloodbath that would have been on online forums if those were a thing. :toofunny2:

Lemme dig up some acts and records from back then to see what people could have gotten up with lmao.

The stans will come for Mariah (similar to Taylor) for effortless #1 smashes, and saying she's local

and all the kylie vs madonna threads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

omg imagine all the sassy/diva interview moments from Mariah, Madonna, Whitney and Janet. the amount of gifs that would flood this place.

Madonna and Janet stans would be at each other's throats daily. Us hybrid stans would've been in hell.

Furry_parents_fighting_meme_banner.jpg

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Madonna and Janet stans would be at each other's throats daily. Us hybrid stans would've been in hell.

Furry_parents_fighting_meme_banner.jpg

Is janet.  an Erotica rip-off?

The Velvet Rope is more acclaimed than any Madonna album, why?

• Haha 6

the only music I like from the 90s is rock so I'd probably be talking to myself on the Oasis threads 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm intrigued to know whether Janet received any backlash back then for supporting MJ amidst the pdf file allegations, ala Nicki/Gaga/Katy

Alanis Morissette vs Shania Twain stans will fight over who had bigger era and album sales. Sheryl Crow stans would drag Joan Osborne. Jewel stans would fight Sixpence None The Richer stans. Tori Amos stans would fight Fiona Apple stans. The Cranberries would fight No Doubt stans. Hole stans would fight Garbage stans. 

GLZBjZX.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Bedtime Stories 145,000 first week Daydream 760,000 twelfth week, what went wrong?"

"Mariah #1's 1.1M debut in Japan is she still local?"

:suburban:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.