20 years since Rachel Stevens released "Some Girls"

khalyan

• ATRL Moderator

Also known as the best pop song ever created, Rachel Stevens released Some Girls on July 12, 2004 as a charity single for Sport Relief. This charity song, which is about giving sexual favors to a man in return for a career, was so good that Geri Halliwell locked herself in a car and had a meltdown when the song was given to Rachel Stevens instead of her. It features as a bonus track to her first album Funky Dory's reissue as well as on her acclaimed second album Come & Get It.

The song peaked at #2 in the UK.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• ATRL Moderator

Her "live" performances are also so iconic, the girls these days wish

Sad she doesn't still do this choreography when she performs it now!

• Like 1

One of the best pop songs of the 2000s with one of the most hideous music videos to match. Duality.

Dreams of number one last forever ~ followed by Rachel getting stuck at #2 and never getting a solo #1 was kind of iconic/poetic tbh.

Geri was locked in a car. Alison Goldfrapp was fuming. Richard/Hannah/Rachel did that!

• Haha 4

It's so funny that a random ex pop group member recorded some of the best pop music of the 00s. Richard X needs to come back! Crazy Boys is also amazing :clap3:

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Yakult said:

One of the best pop songs of the 2000s with one of the most hideous music videos to match. Duality.

Dreams of number one last forever ~ followed by Rachel getting stuck at #2 and never getting a solo #1 was kind of iconic/poetic tbh.

Geri was locked in a car. Alison Goldfrapp was fuming. Richard/Hannah/Rachel did that!

"I think I heard it once on Top Of The Pops and thought it was very bland," says Alison of the song. "I really hope that people don't think we're bland like that. 

"I've nothing against her. I mean the poor girl probably doesn't have anything to do with what she does anyway. But I don't see any relation to what we're doing at all. 

"It's a weird one because when Ooh La La first got played on the radio someone said, adopts stupid voice, 'Ooh it sounds just like Rachel Stevens'.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music/alisons-all-gold-1079195

I never saw this before :bibliahh:

• Haha 5

I want an alternate reality where Britney did an album in 2005 with Bloodshy, Richard X and Xenomania 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard X will ALWAYS be famous. The beat is great and Goldfrapp clearly felt a type of way he arrived at Supernature sound before themselves (although Richard took some notes from Black Cherry for sure)

And what would Geri's ass do with this beat? lmao

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Digitalism said:

I want an alternate reality where Britney did an album in 2005 with Bloodshy, Richard X and Xenomania 

Funky Dory would've been a pop classic by now if it had Britney behind it. Rachel lacked the oomph and starpower to take it there although it has bangers

• Thanks 1

A classic!!! 

"He likes to tell me the things he's done/ such a strange way of having fun" her delivery here is so sassy, I love it :jonnycat:

I wanted to post the edit of the song being played while a girl is crying in a car, but I can't find it!

1 hour ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Richard X will ALWAYS be famous. The beat is great and Goldfrapp clearly felt a type of way he arrived at Supernature sound before themselves (although Richard took some notes from Black Cherry for sure)

And what would Geri's ass do with this beat? lmao

I always loved "Some Girls" and mostly cause of that heavy strong dirty bassline, but I think Goldfrapp "did it first" on "Strict Machine"

• Like 2

Blue Afternoon is the best song ever!! :jonny: 

Just now, mike_int said:

I always loved "Some Girls" and mostly cause of that heavy strong dirty bassline, but I think Goldfrapp "did it first" on "Strict Machine"

Definitely the bassline, but the stronger pop flavor came with Supernature and Some Girls anticipated a whole year. Going by what Alison said in the interview above It looks like Richard X was supposed to remix Strict Machine it got rejected and then reworked for his own stuff

• Like 2

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, ChooseyLover said:

I really can see Geri singing this. No wonder she was so pissed.

Some Girls and Ride It in the same discography, imagine the collapse :jonny3:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, khalyan said:

Some Girls and Ride It in the same discography, imagine the collapse :jonny3:

Is it me or Passion had several bangers :deadbanana2: Geri solo kinda the unsung Pop icon.

That being said I really should look into Rachel Stevens, I only knew of her because of Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex and Britney turning it down. :chick3:

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
Just now, ChooseyLover said:

Is it me or Passion had several bangers :deadbanana2: Geri solo kinda the unsung Pop icon.

That being said I really should look into Rachel Stevens, I only knew of her because of Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex and Britney turning it down. :chick3:

The Come & Get It album is really amazing - So Good, I Said Never Again, Crazy Boys, and Je M’Apelle are all highlights

• Thanks 2

Whilst I'm definitely more an Alison type than a Rachel, someone should point out that even the most mainstream pop whereby a singer simply shows up in front of a microphone and records someone else's work, on occasion that work can down-low be inspired by the dark reality of the experience of third parties, in this case unknown and forgotten girls from early 2000's London who were promised record contracts and pop success in exchange for giving oral sex to record executives, which at its core is what the song "Some Girls" is about.

Edited by Dante Silva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Come & Get It really is a fantastic album. It used to be talked about a lot in other forums before, we can't let it be forgotten!

So Good is better than some careers, and so is Some Girls.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:45 PM, khalyan said:

The Come & Get It album is really amazing - So Good, I Said Never Again, Crazy Boys, and Je M'Apelle are all highlights

Funny How is fantastic as well!  it has Kylie Minogue written all over it (it's a compliment of course) 😍

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.