Flop/bad albums by pop girls with groundbreaking visuals

Julia Fox

Name an album that was a total commercial bomb or was bad quality-wise but had incredible visuals (artwork, MV's, etc) from a pop girl.

Hope you don't come with these indie girls because they obviously are very artsy and are very used to have good visuals in general like Weyes Blood and Caroline.

For example, Kylie Minogue "Impossible Princess" was a commercial bomb and wasn't that well received by critics at least at its time of release -besides being one of my faves Kylie albums-, but the visuals were incredibly stunning 

spacer.png
spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
spacer.png

what are other examples?

Edited by Julia Fox
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, kexin said:

spacer.png

I feel like this is neither a commercial bomb nor ground-breaking visuals 🤔 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nostalgic said:

Some (many) may disagree, but I can't help but love this aesthetic.

Fl4CglZXwAEZbkt?format=jpg&name=900x900

I love every single one except for the cover.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It was her first top 10 entry and her most acclaimed work at the time, but it wasn't as successful as her pervious albums.

STUNNING visuals that pay justice to the amazing album that it is :heart:

spacer.png

Edited by MidnightsAtPeace
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JackOfHearts said:

I feel like this is neither a commercial bomb nor ground-breaking visuals 🤔 

Well it says bad albums also. But I agree it's not visually groundbreaking

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, icyblue said:

If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power is not a flop/bad album. Nice try.

It was a commercial underperformance and a flop, even more considering she had a movie that led the project to a disastrous bomb that left the label with such negative numbers. But yeah it was an incredible album with ambitious visuals and we love it 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, itshyolee said:

I know she's not really a pop girl, but I lived for M.I.A.'s MAYA aesthetics. People hated the album when it came out but I loved it:suburban:

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Love this one! Miss this MIA a lot 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, itshyolee said:

I know she's not really a pop girl, but I lived for M.I.A.'s MAYA aesthetics. People hated the album when it came out but I loved it:suburban:

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

The way this album could come out this year and still be seen as ahead of its time in both music and aesthetics.... Insane truly!

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

It was a commercial underperformance and a flop, even more considering she had a movie that led the project to a disastrous bomb that left the label with such negative numbers. But yeah it was an incredible album with ambitious visuals and we love it 

IICHLIWP had 98K first-week sales (a lot of her contemporaries can't pull numbers like this these days), was number 2 on Billboard (was initially projected to debut at number 1, but then Kanye dropped Donda) and had a successful tour with 83% of tickets sold and grossing over $14.5 million. If her former label wanted to make more money from the film, they should have promoted it more and not streamed it for only 1 night in select IMAX cinemas. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.