The Musical Versatility of Katy Perry | an informative thread (proofs included)

KatyPrismSpirit

For those who still think Katy Perry only makes faceless pop music, think again. From rock and gospel to pop and electronic, Katy's done it all. And you know I had to come with receipts so let me inform you all to the musical variety of Katy Perry to end this once and for all. 

Genre: Gospel

Genre: Rock

Genre: Latin pop / reggaeton

Genre: Electronica / house

Genre: Country / roots

Genre: Funk

Genre: Indie / folk

Bonus (i know its a fan rendition but she provides her versatility here): Psychedelic / Indian twang

Edited by KatyPrismSpirit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, tost1 said:

It's giving vers bottom who only topped his palm

it's actually giving masc top who bottoms on occasion :clap3:

A lot, if not all, of this is pretty dull to be honest.

Katy has her moments, but she's yet to fully tap into her musical talents, I feel. And I thought she was getting there with 365 and some of the cuts on Smile. This is another reason why her returning to Dr. Luke is so disappointing. It's not just that she's working with an "alleged" rapist; it's that she's spitting in the face of any creative progress she had made after leaving him.

• Thanks 7

I'll never understand people who criticize her for always doing the same thing when her albums are criticized for being all over the place. She might have a few too many empowerment songs, but that aside, her music is never boring.

• Like 6

Just now, KillingYourCareer said:

I'll never understand people who criticize her for always doing the same thing when her albums are criticized for being all over the place. She might have a few too many empowerment songs, but that aside, her music is never boring.

Yeah, she's definitely experimented with different sounds over time, if anything the problem is that she hasn't gone all in on that experimentation with a project post-TD. Like, every song on the first half of Prism sounds completely different from one another (for better or for worse)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mordecai said:

Yeah, she's definitely experimented with different sounds over time, if anything the problem is that she hasn't gone all in on that experimentation with a project post-TD. Like, every song on the first half of Prism sounds completely different from one another (for better or for worse)

I mean, when she tried the result wasn't very good (some tracks on Witness), so I'm glad she sticks to what she does best: variations of pop. She could experiment her rock side a bit more, a more mature version of One of the Boys inspired by Alanis/Sheryl is overdue, but she needs to be in the state of mind for it.

Katy has always been a fantastic pop girlie. There's a reason why she, to this day, has this site chattering about so fervently.

No one has forgotten when it was Miss Perry and her heel pressed FIRMLY upon the neck of your fave. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

pop music with different flavours is supposed to be versatility? :rip:

Some of these aren't even pop… and yes. Fusing different genre's in a way that is still palatable to a pop audience is the epitome of versatility.

• Like 1

I'll show you versatility when Santino wins a sewing competition and Visage wears a ******* turtleneck. 

Edited by Dear Reader
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Some of these aren't even pop… and yes. Fusing different genre's in a way that is still palatable to a pop audience is the epitome of versatility.

yes cause it's her and not the dozen producers and writers on all her songs who do this for her :tornado:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

18 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

pop music with different flavours is supposed to be versatility? :rip:

well not everyone can have different sound for every album like lana  :cries:

• Haha 1

If anything, this thread shows how little you know about music genres but we really don't expect a Katy cat to be well versed in music anyway.

:ryan3:

• Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.