Is Rare by Selena Gomez the less rare record by a pop girl?

Julia Fox

I'll start 

It has a very Spotify editorial playlist sound, the lyrics are just average and offers nothing new to the table.

Are there any other less rare albums released by a pop girl besides this one? 

• Thumbs Down 1

no one can force me to listen to that album in full again, but people you know, she snapped on that one

it has convenience store vibes. mall music vibes. kwai vibes. overprocessed vibes. bland and dull

when i revisited it some time ago my synesthesia was like "this has no texture, no taste, no color, no nothing"

oh how i wish she had released an album with bad liar & fetish her only good and original songs :jonny6:

Edited by technoprayer
  • Like 2

The songs are absolutely immaculate. 
Listen to the deluxe version and then add

It Ain't Me

Bad Liar

Fetish

Stained

Back To You 

Wolves

One of the most incredible listening experiences. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's difficult to have meaningful songs when you have very weak vocals and have a whole ass team write and pick the songs for you with only commercial success in mind

2 minutes ago, ks_dollar said:

It's difficult to have meaningful songs when you have very weak vocals and have a whole ass team write and pick the songs for you with only commercial success in mind

:bibliahh:Listen and discover the artistry weaved into every single song. 
Immaculate i tell you. Immaculate. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

:bibliahh:Listen and discover the artistry weaved into every single song. 
Immaculate i tell you. Immaculate. 

Her team picks and writes her commercial songs for her, while her contribution is adding her shitty vocals – which the producers put their entire bussy into making sound passable :rip:

16 minutes ago, ks_dollar said:

Her team picks and writes her commercial songs for her, while her contribution is adding her shitty vocals – which the producers put their entire bussy into making sound passable :rip:

Her music rocks. 

Edited by selena_lavigne

This was the album that showed poptimism had went too far tbh. Pop music had been unfairly maligned by rockists for a long time…….but mediocre albums such as this getting glowing reviews was a result of publications doing too much to reverse past transgressions (and to get clicks from devoted stans).

Selena had already done the minimal pop sound much better on Revival. Spoitipop was five years post-Tove Styrke by the time Rare served an underbaked version whipped up from the scraps of LA songwriting sessions.

Edited by Yakult

Tbh I like this album, its instrumentals are a bit 'rare' or layed back but its fine. Its not like her voice would work with huge production anyway

• Haha 1

This is one my most disappointing releases ever. I loved Revival and never listened to this after its release week.

12 minutes ago, selena_lavigne said:

Her music rocks. 

And they claimed is not "worth listening to" yet here they are making the 999th thread dissecting every little detail about her discography, iconic if you ask me :celestial4:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually love the title track "Rare" - it's a cute track with a lot of heart and is quietly uplifting. "Vulnerable" is also quite cute.

But yeah, it must be said, not a great album.

26 minutes ago, WaterDiamonds said:

And they claimed is not "worth listening to" yet here they are making the 999th thread dissecting every little detail about her discography, iconic if you ask me :celestial4:

Maybe because some of us loved her work on Revival and other of her albums? I was a huge WTSGD and SD diehard fan and burn those CD's a lot and then she came up with something as lackluster and uninspired and bland as that record says it all. I listened to that album in full twice and after that I only listen to Lose You To Love Me, Rare, Crowded Room and People You Know. Everything else is just a skip for me 

It's not a bad album, I don't think it's worse than Revival as a body of work. Actually I don't think Revival has a song as good as Souvenir, Sweeter Places or Lose You To Love Me, especially if we compare album tracks. There's nothing outstanding nor rare about it (like many other albums), but it's not bad. 

The deluxe tracks and droplets were better. I only use LYTLM, Vulnerable, Crowded Room, and Sweeter Place

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.