Taylor goes viral for random X user never hearing a TTPD song

midnightdawn

34 minutes ago, Miley Cyrus said:

nothing stuck with the public atp she's the female jungkook

PLEASE be so for real right now :bibliahh: Miley fans got so confident with Flowers being a hit :biblio:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WildHeart

• dirrtydiana

• Windy Day

• Dear Reader

She has zero real hits since 2016. Practically the female BTS carried by her fandom 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

7 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

She has zero real hits since 2016. Practically the female BTS carried by her fandom 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well it isn't a lie. for the second biggest debut of all time, this sure does feel uneventful as hell. the album just didn't find its way into cultural relevancy or generated inescapable tracks like releases that pull off those kind of numbers usually does. even redtv felt bigger. it's a weird disconnect but everyone can attest to it so isn't like the user that tweeted this was just pulling some cr*p out of nowhere. 

Edited by georgechxng
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, penguintim said:

The female BTS 👍🏼 the same impact as Dynamite or Butter

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's true. As a non fan this fact doesn't only include this album but post bad blood. That's what her career has been since, she hasn't had an actual smash. On paper, the mass variants sold and cute front loaded chart topping positions look cute but that does not translate to actual hits. 

and this isn't a dig at her, we've seen it happen with the likes of drake, K-pop acts and people who put out quick lil singles which are flash in a pan moments 

Well, with streaming it's very easy to just avoid what you don't want to listen to (unless you still listen to radio :skull:), regardless of how big the artist or the song is.

Edited by G.U.Y_Del_Rey

this is something i've been thinking abt for a while, but maybe this has to do with the different approach taylor has taken when promoting her music ever since folklore?

like, most of taylor's releases since then have generally had very minimal promotion - 1-2 singles, maybe 1 music video, and MAYBE 1 live performance or interview. she doesnt have to do much for the fanbase and more casual fans to consume the album, so promotion is kept super small to save money + cause less risk for overexposure. but at the same time, this kinda means her actual breadth and iconography is minimized in a way - she still takes a lot of pop music real estate bc she's always a hot topic and the swifties are a huge fanbase who will go to bat for her, but unless ur watching the eras tour livestreams every weekend, you're not rlly getting "new" content from her too often (new in quotes bc its a concert with a set structure thats been going on for over a year atp). and so if ur not following taylor in some way, her success now seems incongruous with the numbers, even tho imo the incessant variants probs make up a p small percent of the total sales.

compare that to 1989, where she had a new single smashing every 3-4 months, attended and performed at plenty of award shows, gave lots of interviews, all the while also being on tour and posting on social media. or even rep and lover eras, which were a bit more restrained, but still had plenty of content in the way of singles/videos/performances/interviews. from folklore onwards, she's been able to stretch out the original albums more than ever without expenditure of those earlier eras promo cycles, but i feel like the level she's doing it at kinda makes her success a lil confusing for the average person + is actually kinda hurting her iconography a bit

fjkfkj i rambled but like i said, ive been thinking abt this for a MINUTE :rip:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Burn said:

in 20+ years nobody is gonna know nor care about those numbers.

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of charts. They are basically a historic record of what was happening in music at an specific point of time. It's easier for future generations to look up music based on charts than anything else. Taylor knows this and that's why she's playing this game.

31 minutes ago, LOTF said:

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of charts. They are basically a historic record of what was happening in music at a specific point of time. It's easier for future generations to look up music based on charts than anything else. Taylor knows this and that's why she's playing this game.

Not exactly.

I will agree with you that the recorded history is part of why these people are so aggressively and desperately trying to reach the top spot with their subpar releases.

So I will also agree with the post you replied to in the sense that charts are not an accurate representation of what the actual #1 song was at the time especially with streaming and chart manipulation.

For example, when is go back to 2000 it is perplexing and jarring not to see huge classic songs like bye bye bye, oops, or 2001's whenever whenever not be #1. It'll be the same when people go back and see trollz or as it was there

• Thanks 1

just means this person is out of touch. You can't top for 10 weeks and not have a popular album no matter how you spin it. 

2 hours ago, Papi Juancho said:

Anti-Hero and especially Cruel Summer are undisputed huge hits. Come on now... let's be fair sis :-* 

• Like 3

Because in order to remain at #1 she doesn't need new people discovering the album but have the same ones who already have listen to it some more. So no need to have a big smash you hear on the radio constantly at all. The sales chart has changed to a consumption chart. That could explain this user's post. 

Edited by Doctor Dick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LOTF said:

I think a lot of people underestimate the power of charts. They are basically a historic record of what was happening in music at an specific point of time. It's easier for future generations to look up music based on charts than anything else. Taylor knows this and that's why she's playing this game.

I do think single charts are more popular in terms of looking back than album charts are so Taylor not wanting big singles isn't well-played. 

9 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

For example, when is go back to 2000 it is perplexing and jarring not to see huge classic songs like bye bye bye, oops, or 2001's whenever whenever not be #1. It'll be the same when people go back and see trollz or as it was there

Cause they, for the most part, had no physical singles in order to force feed the entire album if someone wanted to own a CD with the hits :toofunny3: You can't compare peaks of songs in entirely different decades and in entirely different markets eras.

2 hours ago, dirrtydiana said:

It's true. As a non fan this fact doesn't only include this album but post bad blood. That's what her career has been since, she hasn't had an actual smash. On paper, the mass variants sold and cute front loaded chart topping positions look cute but that does not translate to actual hits. 

and this isn't a dig at her, we've seen it happen with the likes of drake, K-pop acts and people who put out quick lil singles which are flash in a pan moments 

"Post bad blood" Look What You Made Me Do is nearing Diamond, I Don't Wanna Live Forever is eligible for 7x Platinum, the first 3 singles from Lover were all multi plat top 10s (Lover on it's way to 2 billion streams), cardigan is outstreaming most of 2020s #1s on the daily right now despite being "front loaded", Anti-Hero and Cruel Summer are by far two of the biggest hits this decade, and then there's album tracks that crossed a billion Spotify streams cause they objectively went viral (Don't Blame Me, august). 

Some of y'all truly live in a parallel universe on what is objectively a hit.

"Flash in a pan moment" :bibliahh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Popboi. said:

Cause they, for the most part, had no physical singles in order to force feed the entire album if someone wanted to own a CD with the hits :toofunny3: You can't compare peaks of songs in entirely different decades and in entirely different markets eras.

"Post bad blood" Look What You Made Me Do is nearing Diamond, I Don't Wanna Live Forever is eligible for 7x Platinum, the first 3 singles from Lover were all multi plat top 10s (Lover on it's way to 2 billion streams), cardigan is outstreaming most of 2020s #1s on the daily right now despite being "front loaded", Anti-Hero and Cruel Summer are by far two of the biggest hits this decade, and then there's album tracks that crossed a billion Spotify streams cause they objectively went viral (Don't Blame Me, august). 

Some of y'all truly live in a parallel universe on what is objectively a hit.

"Flash in a pan moment" :bibliahh:

I'm aware of jive opting to put singles on shelves to drive album sales and it is completely redundant and irrelevant to my point, which still stands: charts are inaccurate, especially today, it doesn't matter that my examples are from 2000/1

and it is completely rich that you accuse non switfties of living in a parallel world. Taylor has not had an actual smash since the 1989 era. sorry, I don't make the rules 🤷‍♀️ 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

there are plenty of #1 albums whose songs I don't know. I don't get why this logic only applies to Taylor. Like her haters really are obsessed with her :rip:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Burn said:

same. couldn't tell you what a single song sounds like.

it's obviously the same few fans buying the album over and over again.

yes the album is successful from a sales point of view but in 20+ years nobody is gonna know nor care about those numbers.

Y'all are so DELUSIONAL and confuse personal vendettas + your own agendas with reality. Her albums from like 15 years ago are still ultra mega relevant and more remembered/consumed/influential than anything from that time. 

Get real and get out of Twitter, my gawd. 

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've only heard Fortnite, and that's because it was on the radio while I was a passenger in a friend's car so I had no choice :giraffe:

2 hours ago, Doctor Dick said:

I do think single charts are more popular in terms of looking back than album charts are so Taylor not wanting big singles isn't well-played. 

On the Hot 100 at least, Cruel Summer and Anti-Hero are the third and fourth biggest female hits of the decade so far (literally only behind Levitating and Flowers) :deadbanana4:

I don't think it's that Taylor doesn't want "big singles" when she's literally just had two :gaycat6:

5 hours ago, georgechxng said:

well it isn't a lie. for the second biggest debut of all time, this sure does feel uneventful as hell.

it's just like her tour.  No memorable performances.  It's all just very bland and average.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

31 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

and it is completely rich that you accuse non switfties of living in a parallel world. Taylor has not had an actual smash since the 1989 era. sorry, I don't make the rules 🤷‍♀️ 

She just had a top 5/10 in year end charts on every main market on earth and IFPI that will end up becoming the most streamed female song in Spotify. Being obtuse must be a talent.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.