Has this OldTRL post about It Girls per year from 2000 - 2014 aged well?

Gwendolyn

https://classic.atrl.net/forums/showthread.php?p=25847966&nojs=1

Love looking through OldTRL since it's a time capsule in a way and brings me back to when I used to lurk this forum back in the late 00s and early 10s as a preteen :rip: But this thread is interesting since it discusses pop it girls and if they are 'underperforming, flopping or relevant'. I think some things have definitely changed for some of these girls 

Spoiler

Britney Spears

Runner Ups:
Christina Aguilera
Jessica Simpson

Current Status:
Underperforming

Alicia Keys

Runner Ups:
Dido
Shakira

Current Status:
Underperforming

Avril Lavigne

Runner Up:
P!nk (WW)
Ashanti (US)

Current Status:
Flopping

Beyoncé

Runner Ups:
Hilary Duff
Norah Jones

Current Status:
Relevant

Kelly Clarkson

Runner Ups:
Ashlee Simpson
Lindsay Lohan

Current Status:
Relevant

Gwen Stefani

Runner Ups:
Ciara (US)
Mariah Carey / Madonna (Returns)

Current Status:
Semi-retired

Nelly Furtado

Runner Up:
Fergie (WW)
Carrie Underwood (US)

Current Status:
Flopping

Rihanna

Runner Ups:
Amy Winehouse
Miley Cyrus

Current Status:
Relevant

Katy Perry

Runner Ups:
Leona Lewis
Duffy

Current Status:
Relevant

Lady Gaga

Runner Ups:
Taylor Swift
Susan Boyle

Current Status:
Underperforming

Ke$ha

Runner Ups:
???

Current Status:
Flopping

ADELE

Runner Up:
Nicki Minaj
Jessie J

Current Status:
Relevant

Lana del Rey

Runner Ups:
Ellie Goulding (WW)
Emeli Sandé (EU)

Current Status:
Relevant

Lorde

Runner Ups:
Ariana Grande
Cassadee Pope

Current Status:
Relevant

Iggy Azalea

Candidates:
Ariana Grande
Taylor Swift

I mean I agree with everyone from 2000-2012 but 2013 and 2014 were Miley and Taylor's years respectively. And 2010 was definitely Katy's year. 

Also omg totally forgot about Emily Sande. What tf even happened to her. She was pretty big back in 2012

oh how I miss those days 

3 minutes ago, Kimi said:

who the **** is Cassadee Pope

Hey Monday lead singer.  She's now a solo singer 

4 minutes ago, Kimi said:

who the **** is Cassadee Pope

Her debut solo country album, Frame by Frame, was released in 2013 to a top 10 Billboard 200 charting.[5] It debuted at No. 1 on Top Country Albums, with 43,000 copies sold in its first week.

Over Beyoncé and Miley? :hoetenks:

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

2013 and 2014 were Miley and Taylor's years respectively.

no, 2013 was Lorde's year and they made the right choice. Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift didn't change the trajectory of pop music with a fresh sound in 2013 with also giving birth to new artists. 

Edited by Kayseri Mantisi

2014: Iggy Azealia

Current status: 5 years from now she sits at home, feeding the baby she's all alone

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

no, 2013 was Lorde's year and they made the right choice. Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift didn't change the trajectory of pop music in 2013 with also giving birth to New artists. 

Pure Heroine was big and Royals was a time defining song but if I think about 2013 my first thought is Wrecking Ball, We Can't Stop and Bangerz. Plus Lorde only had one big hit that year. Miley had several.

It's not like we can go back to and make someone else famous in those years so yeah it aged well. If this was made in 2014 I can understand why they didn't anticipate just how big Taylor would be by the end of the year.

20 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Pure Heroine was big and Royals was a time defining song but if I think about 2013 my first thought is Wrecking Ball, We Can't Stop and Bangerz. Plus Lorde only had one big hit that year. Miley had several.

lXdsyZz.jpeg

AeyRXNP.jpeg

hQiXo8h.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Iggy Azalea :rip:

I'd probably give it to Ariana Grande (but with hindsight 2018 seems a more obvious pick?) and Taylor can get 2015 but honestly it was a shitty year.

Edited by AndThenTheCocaine

I know they're way behind other girls but it's funny and nice to see Hilary Duff, Ashlee Simpson and Lindsay Lohan in here. They did make waves in the early 2000s, but I thought Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, even Mandy Moore were somehow more successful than them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

It's wild how Susan Boyle was selling 800k+ for WEEKS with her first couple albums :rip: 

The power of #SUSANALBUMPARTY :clap3:

• Haha 2

Poor Iggy :( 

The way they didn't pick Taylor for 2012 when Red is the biggest selling since 21 ( and only 2 female albums after that can even compete 1989 and 25)

Iggy Azalea over 1989 Taylor Swift and My Everything Ariana Grande is a choice that's for sure. Arguably the two biggest pop eras commercially and culturally during that time and career defining albums for both artists. ATRL has always been at it with the badly aged terrible takes huh? Iggy had a moment with Fancy and her feature on Problem but even from a 2014 perspective she had 2014 fad written all over her lmao. She had no discernible talent or charisma which was going to catch up with her once the novelty of the moment wore off....which is exactly what happened just the next year in 2015 to no surprise from anybody with eyes and ears. :rip:

And wtf is with Cassadee Pope as the 2013 as runner-up? I can't even name one song from her and only know her as the lead singer of off brand Paramore. No mention of Miley in 2013 is crazy too. 2013 was Miley's year no doubt with Lorde as the big breakthrough artist followed by Ariana. 

I think we need to define "it girl" - do we mean "the girl who broke out the biggest that year" or "the most successful girl of that year"?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.