Is Chappel Roan the dark horse of 2024?

thatsmydemi

Everybody keeps talking about Sabrina, Taylor, Ariana... but I just took a look at the recent BB100 update and I'm surprised. Not only is she almost top 10 with Good Luck, Babe!, but she also has 4 more tracks charting AND CLIMBING each week. One of them has just entered the top 40 with no support at all. The album keeps climbing on BB200 too despite having no smash hit (Good Luck is not part of it).

Where is all this support coming from? :soda: 

• Like 5

I really hope Chappel ends up being bigger than Sabrina (though that seems unlikely right now). I do like her style, and I think she's bringing something new to the music scene. Let's hope everything turns out well.

3 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

Everybody keeps talking about Sabrina, Taylor, Ariana... but I just took a look at the recent BB100 update and I'm surprised. Not only is she almost top 10 with Good Luck, Babe!, but she also has 4 more tracks charting AND CLIMBING each week. One of them has just entered the top 40 with no support at all. The album keeps climbing on BB200 too despite having no smash hit (Good Luck is not part of it).

Where is all this support coming from? :soda: 

I'm a bit worried that this support will disappear now that Pride Month is over. :(

2 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

I'm a bit worried that this support will disappear now that Pride Month is over. :(

Is it all because of pride? Why? Her album has INCREDIBLE streaming numbers though.

This tweet explains it:

+ Plus TikTok.

• Thanks 1

Just now, thatsmydemi said:

Is it all because of pride? Why? Her album has INCREDIBLE streaming numbers though.

I'm not sure. She's becoming a significant queer icon, being a lesbian and involved in drag. I hope she continues to build on her momentum.

15 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

Pride month is not the reason for her rise

• Like 1

I think she's already bigger than Sabrina?

The fact that Good luck Babe! Is Chappells biggest/only hit single so far and hasn't even went top 10 yet on the BB100, while also having an album, which doesn't even include that one hit, climb into the top 10 of the BB200 and is pulling Dua/Charli XCX debut numbers on a weekly basis now, is way more impressive than Sabrina scoring back to back smash hits.  People are invested in Chappell as an artist but the verdict is still out on Sabrina.  The moment she doesn't have an Espresso or PPP sized hit, she could be dropped by the GP.  

• Like 1

it'll be interesting what happens after festival season, her rise has really tracked onto her huge performances at festivals. her album and singles will probably peak with Lolla, maybe she'll drop new music around then, all very exciting :boat:

Spoiler

I'm still deciding if I like the album or not lol

also ppl irl are talking about her like for real, I haven't heard ppl talk about a new artist like this in a while :boat:

Edited by WildAmerican

If the music is good sometimes all you need is a little push so people can hear it and it kinda creates a snowball effect :clap3:

idk about the others but I listened to her because I read people on social media commenting about her

Edited by VelvetCrush

She is one of the most interesting and unique of new girls so it makes sense 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

the bandwagon is annoying tbh

This would have been fair to say last year or at the beginning of the year but clearly she's sticking around with how well she's been doing for the past month/few months. 

3 hours ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

I really hope Chappel ends up being bigger than Sabrina (though that seems unlikely right now). I do like her style, and I think she's bringing something new to the music scene. Let's hope everything turns out well.

we need less f4ggets like you mf let's celebrate both girls

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Joyride said:

we need less f4ggets like you mf let's celebrate both girls

The description of the post starts with 'everybody keeps talking about Sabrina, Taylor, Ariana,' meaning that they've got the spotlight right now. However, Chappel's numbers show that she could be a strong runner-up in the future. It's not about celebrating only one woman; it's about identifying the dark horse of the year, meaning which one was the bigger surprise. Both can be successful, but only one can be the bigger surprise, which is where my comment fits in.

They can both shine while one of them is the bigger surprise. It's not that hard to understand

17 minutes ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

The description of the post starts with 'everybody keeps talking about Sabrina, Taylor, Ariana,' meaning that they've got the spotlight right now. However, Chappel's numbers show that she could be a strong runner-up in the future. It's not about celebrating only one woman; it's about identifying the dark horse of the year, meaning which one was the bigger surprise. Both can be successful, but only one can be the bigger surprise, which is where my comment fits in.

They can both shine while one of them is the bigger surprise. It's not that hard to understand

u still here downplaying women and wishing one becomes bigger than the other though! we don't need that energy in 2024.

• Thanks 1

Not even really a dark horse anymore... The industry is going nuts over her and she's pulling massive festival crowds of 50,000+. 

7 minutes ago, Joyride said:

u still here downplaying women and wishing one becomes bigger than the other though! we don't need that energy in 2024.

I really like Sabrina's music, but there can only be one dark horse. The nuances in supporting one artist over another require a bit more focus on your part.

1 minute ago, Strawberry Bubble said:

I really like Sabrina's music, but there can only be one dark horse. The nuances in supporting one artist over another require a bit more focus on your part.

nevermind. if you can't stream more than two artists then that's... good for you I guess!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.