Do you think that relatability and Vibes have caused a negative impact in music?

futuresuperstar2023

I think that we should all accept and support different type of artist and their personalities but I feel like people don't really care about top level talent or glamorous pop stars anymore. It seems like in order for people to support you as an artist now you have to make yourself seem like an underdog or dumb yourself down for the GP to not be intimidated. The music industry seems like it's a club for basic people and vibes and not real star power. It seems like the artist that can actually bring something  to the table gets attention on social media but then fizzles out. I don't expect artist to be relatable because I don't know them. I could always talk to my neighbor if I wanted relatable. I don't like the microwaveable era at all.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, futuresuperstar2023 said:

I think that we should all accept and support different type of artist and their personalities but I feel like people don't really care about top level talent or glamorous pop stars anymore. It seems like in order for people to support you as an artist now you have to make yourself seem like an underdog or dumb yourself down for the GP to not be intimidated. The music industry seems like it's a club for basic people and vibes and not real star power. It seems like the artist that can actually bring something  to the table gets attention on social media but then fizzles out. I don't expect artist to be relatable because I don't know them. I could always talk to my neighbor if I wanted relatable. I don't like the microwaveable era at all.

hmmmm

No, humans crave connection, vulnerability, and authenticity. The era of manufactured art purely for entertainment with no other underlying purpose for existence can stay in the past where it belongs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

There's room for both "relatable" and "out of this world cunty goddess fantastical queen superstars", the main issue with the relatable girls is the fans and their weird parasocial attachments to the relatable ones. The goddess archetypes have their own kind of weird fans, it's just different.  One type of fan thinks their fave is their bff and they know all their intricacies and what's best for them while the other kind of fan thinks they need to defend their queen like she is their monarch and overseer. 

I blame Rihanna :coffee2:

• Haha 1

Are they really relatable or they just make you to believe that it's relatable? :coffee2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are still glamorous pop stars i think social media just makes them more relatable as opposed to 10 yrs ago or more

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Just a Gay on ATRL said:

There's room for both "relatable" and "out of this world cunty goddess fantastical queen superstars", the main issue with the relatable girls is the fans and their weird parasocial attachments to the relatable ones. The goddess archetypes have their own kind of weird fans, it's just different.  One type of fan thinks their fave is their bff and they know all their intricacies and what's best for them while the other kind of fan thinks they need to defend their queen like she is their monarch and overseer. 

But Swifties do both :dancehall2:

Well I definitely think the "vibes" part of the music industry has platformed some interesting characters like Ice Spice, those random TikTok fads etc. who are generally only as good as their next bop and otherwise are disposed as quick as they've been brought to some level of fame. That being said, the relatability aspect has also opened the door for more niche acts to secure cult followings which can lead into a mainstream presence due to numerous factors, such as what we're seeing with Sabrina, Charli xcx and Chappell roan right now. At the end of the day, talent and drive is what will determine your legacy, not some quick hits that serve flash in the pan, so the "negative impact" may seem greater than it will actually become overall. 

• Thanks 1

absolutely.

bc the relatable-vibes type artists usually aren't that talented and receive far more fame, label push, and acclaim than someone who has the skillset to be a star. its like ur boss giving the most lazy employee a raise or promotion. 

having 1 or 2 big relatable artists is cool but the industry today has an obnoxious amount esp with tiktok. 

• Like 2

Eh. The only type of artist I dislike is those that think they're some untouchable goddess that everyone must worship to make up for how boring their music actually is! :bird:

Other than that, I say like what you like! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Devin said:

absolutely.

bc the relatable-vibes type artists usually aren't that talented and receive far more fame, label push, and acclaim than someone who has the skillset to be a star. its like ur boss giving the most lazy employee a raise or promotion. 

having 1 or 2 big relatable artists is cool but the industry today has an obnoxious amount esp with tiktok. 

Exactly this. I don't care what anyone says, I miss having actual superstars. 

So many people complain about how dry today's pop culture is compared to previous generations and it's due to the surge of quirky-relatable-no talent but just vibes entertainers.

• Like 2

Relatability isn't new — it's the basis of all art, really.

What some people are referring to as "relatability" on here, I think, is primarily an issue of reductive and derivative music. When an artist's biggest talent is how many fans they can convince to buy 4 CDs, that becomes very questionable. Mass appeal and chart success do not make an artist interesting, forward-thinking, or legendary.

At the end of the day, it's no one's fault that social media birthed and propelled a lot of mediocre artists. What is "popular" usually will be seen this way, until people in the future can look back nostalgically at the good parts and say they miss 2020's music. Hindsight is 20/20.

It's stupid to blame it on the artists for being relatable when it's the technology that changes the game.

Radio and TV helped creating the "superstar" myth of being an enigma. Which is now impossible under the social media age. How much talents can one get when people can look up how much writers/producers/labels help them in those studios at any given time? Social medias completely destroy the myth of a "superstar".

Edited by Rep2000

Paying attention to my talented faves and ignoring the industry as a whole >>>

The idea of relatability is not the problem. Even untouchable popstars had that appeal in the beginning- which in turn made them untouchable. Relatability is something that is essential in becoming a star and must be natural coming from you 

The real problem is using it as an excuse for lack of talent + shitty output. 

1 hour ago, itshyolee said:

Exactly this. I don't care what anyone says, I miss having actual superstars. 

So many people complain about how dry today's pop culture is compared to previous generations and it's due to the surge of quirky-relatable-no talent but just vibes entertainers.

I don't think we will see another untouchable superstar in the social media era.

No one cares about relatability or goddesses. Those are gimmicks used when the music is lacking. If you like a song or many songs of a particular artist, why the hell would you ask for anything more? That's borderline psychotic.

I think it's important for an artist to be relatable, but not to the point where they completely lose their mystique. I think, in a manner of speaking, it just cheapens them for them to be so accessible; they become taken for granted and, thusly, less special. With how our lives are currently intertwined with social media, and how many artists have embraced it, the sense of wonder and magic is gone.

That's yet another reason why, I feel, we've passed the age of legends and icons. Many newer artists are simply too relatable, to the point where they don't feel larger than life. They become just as common as anyone else on our timelines; the only thing that sets them apart is that they make music.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.