Does "Teenage Dream" going Diamond remove the "Katy is a singles artist narrative"?

naval23

Which one?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does Teenage Dream going Diamond remove the Katy is just a singles artist narrative?

• Yes! You can't go diamond in album units without being an album artist
    • No - she's a singles artist with a Diamond album

During the Teenage Dream era and it's domination, the GP would refer to Katy as a singles artist

Now that Teenage Dream is Diamond certified, does this change the narrative?

Or is she still a singles artist with this achievement?

Edited by naval23

No, I'm not looking up the recurrent streams but I'm assuming they're carried HEAVILY by he 5 singles. 

Also, imo, to be an albums artist you need a proven history of multiple albums being consumed as a whole over singles; not just one smash era. I think of Lana, Billie, Olivia, Taylor, Beyonce, SZA, Adele, hell even Melanie Martinez and Lorde as album artists over Katy.

Even Ariana is much more of an albums artist than Katy at this point, and I feel like Ariana is mostly known for her singles. 

She singles artist'd her way around full circle to being an album artist :ryan3:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lustforyou said:

No, I'm not looking up the recurrent streams but I'm assuming they're carried HEAVILY by he 5 singles. 

Also, imo, to be an albums artist you need a proven history of multiple albums being consumed as a whole over singles; not just one smash era. I think of Lana, Billie, Olivia, Taylor, Beyonce, SZA, Adele, hell even Melanie Martinez and Lorde as album artists over Katy.

Even Ariana is much more of an albums artist than Katy at this point, and I feel like Ariana is mostly known for her singles. 

8 singles* which are the majority of the album… 

Teenage Dream is the rare exception where Katy was so successful as a singles artist to the point that most of the album consisted of those hugely consumed singles. I think she is still a singles artist though because several songs on Teenage Dream have yet to even hit 50M streams on Spotify and she hasn't come close to repeating this even with PRISM.

• Thanks 3

She's still a singles artist, but with a major achievement. 

Besides the singles, the album itself isn't anything special to write home about imo.

Nah, it's mainly because of the gigantic singles that the album managed to go Diamond.

An album like Sour or Jagged Little Pill would make one an album artist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

She'll be considered an album artist when all her projects, including Smile & Witness will also reach those milestones, so probably never :suburban:

13 minutes ago, ThomasTea said:

8 singles* which are the majority of the album… 

Okay, so she has one album that was a smash. How are OOTB, Prism, Witness, and Smile's album tracks doing?

still a singles artist, thats not a bad thing but still getting a diamond album is major

A single artist getting a diamond certified album, not a lot of 'album artists' have achieved that in this century 

Well the "singles" made up the majority of the album so I would say yes. It's like saying "Bad" is not a highly-consumed album because the only 2 non-single tracks didn't get as many streams :eli: 

The truth is, the GP doesn't care about the album, they only listen to the hit songs. The fans are the ones boosting the album tracks in the streaming era.

• Thanks 1

Nope. Smile, Witness and KP6 (I predict) are tanks albums that will struggle to reach platinum or even gold. Then Prism and OOTB did good, but not great. Teenage Dream smashed, sure, but she's not consistently selling albums and I'd be very surprised if she doesn't continue to underperform her respective last era for the rest of her career.

Edited by SweetOreosOfHeaven

'Singles artists' as a title was a thing in 2010s/digital era. TD reaching the diamond status is heavily depended on the huge digital downloads of the  singles as well the catalog streams from those singles, so for sure she was a single's artists.  It's not like she went diamond with pure sales.

But as I said in streaming it does not matter the same way it used to, in 2010. 

Isn't the album mostly singles? :skull: It's an extremely impressive feat regardless, but let's not get carried away calling her an albums artist when her album tracks have horrendous streams...

The album's pure sales are also "low" for how many hits it had and so I'm not sure that helps too.

I'm happy Katy has this achievement but aren't singles double counted as album equivalents.

It's allowed things like this to happen but there's nothing wrong with being a singles artists.

Paula adbul, Rihanna, Katy and others have hits most people remember

Compare it to albums artist and how many people care about the album tracks as much as the classic hits.

You need to prove multiple times that hit or not hit people will consume the album for the body of work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lustforyou said:

Not 5 sis, she has 8 humongous singles from that album and that's already half the album. 

OT:

well she's a singles artist for sure, BUT she still went Diamond with an album. That's a feat not a lot of people can achieve. And having huge singles with the gp is more impactful than fans boosting the album tracks, especially with the streaming era audience. 

spacer.png

Edited by Witnessed ET

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.