Normani cancels BET Awards performance due to injury

Garbaj

8 hours ago, Michael196 said:

She absolutely shouldn't make it worse by performing, but at the same time, also shouldn't have fumbled this opportunity (which I'm confused how it got booked in the first place), she could set on a chair and sing the song like many do...

She doesn't have a voice to sit on a chair and sing :rip: it takes a huge amount of talent to make yourself seen by just singing. Unfortunately Normani needs dancing and without it she is just not good enough! (Remember the fair peformance)! That being said she should have done something with her dancers, a small choreography for her as well, not much that can make the injury worse.. but any way the work ethic in 2024 does not exist so she better stay home and rest poor her! 

• Thumbs Down 1

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asscatchem

• Bentley

• mrpartyrocker

• Garbaj

8 hours ago, Ms.cleo said:

Lol @ at the "why can't she just sit in a chair and sing" comments. Tell me would yall want to be in front of an audience while you're on every pain killer possible because you have a leg injury?

The answer should be no & if it's not you're delusional. 

most likely she was gonna perform candy paint and per her injury it was a lot of physical movement involved.

There are people today that work 12 hours a day with cancer or any other conditions and you're complaining about being on a stage singing a song on painkillers? :dancehall2:

damn y'all reached another level of uselessness! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

At some point you've got to realise she doesn't want this as much as you all do, because if my album debuted at #91 i would've been crawling to that stage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, mrpartyrocker said:

There are people today that work 12 hours a day with cancer or any other conditions and you're complaining about being on a stage singing a song on painkillers? :dancehall2:

Lorde was sick and had no voice, she went to the VMA and just dance to the song. She was heavily criticised :thing:

Just now, campelo said:

Lorde was sick and had no voice, she went to the VMA and just dance to the song. She was heavily criticised :thing:

Normani hasn't lost her voice… but… defo she doesn't have one :rip:

• Haha 3

Performing the tribute under these conditions wasn't feasible. That said, for a girl who is best known for Motivation, she has very little of it. Doing **** like Expensive Taste Test on YouTube isn't gonna make people stream your music. She's not in a position where she can afford to drop an album & dip. There's no world building or audience engagement. The laziness is unreal. You think Nasty just blew up on its own? Tinashe had BEEN posting Tik Toks before it went truly viral. She's actually had it hard in the industry & had to make her own opportunities. Singers like Normani love to blame everything on extraneous circumstances while doing nothing for themselves bc they came up easy & don't know how to work for anything. I'm not attending the pity party & by the looks of it, most people aren't!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

8 hours ago, IBeMe said:

what happened to the days where popgirls would perform with a foot brace and improvise something last minute just to NOT waste an opportunity to perform on tv....The whole concept of "the show must go on" is completely dead with this new gen and in some ways its a good thing but damn it also flushes opportunities like crazy. I get tv performances aren't that big a deal anymore but the uploaded videos go viral and help promote your projects which Normani DESPERATELY needs right now....

And all of them end up suffering mentally and/or physically for the rest of their lives, or even HATE their careers and disappear :rip:

This is such a crazy way of thinking. 

• Like 6

It could have been a great night for her; she's a fantastic performer. Hopefully she's able to recover and put on a show for the Video Music Awards. That gives her a couple of months to get herself right and prepare.

She could've just sit on a high stool and perform an acoustic set. This was a huge wasted opportunity for her.

6 minutes ago, ohjulia said:

She could've just sit on a high stool and perform an acoustic set. This was a huge wasted opportunity for her.

Was about to post the same.

39 minutes ago, ohjulia said:

it was for the Usher tribute . if it had been her own song she might have been able to do it.

oh if it was for a tribute that makes more sense, wouldn't have boosted her music anyway.

it's a shame she couldn't have sang whilst sitting cos that would bring a lot of goodwill that she needs right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Armani? said:

Just gonna post this here

Please remember Michael was highly addicted to pain medication. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I'm just glad the girl actually said something instead of going silent like she usually does.

12 hours ago, IBeMe said:

what happened to the days where popgirls would perform with a foot brace and improvise something last minute just to NOT waste an opportunity to perform on tv....The whole concept of "the show must go on" is completely dead with this new gen and in some ways its a good thing but damn it also flushes opportunities like crazy. I get tv performances aren't that big a deal anymore but the uploaded videos go viral and help promote your projects which Normani DESPERATELY needs right now....

Most of them wanted to off themselves at one point at a time so your point kinda falls flat ngl

• Thumbs Down 1

Devastated for her, so can only imagine how hard this be for her firsthand (even though I'm fairly certain her performance was going to be part of the Usher tribute rather than solo).

But this only serves to remind how messed up things are with her....everything. 

Had this happened after a "we tried as best as possible" launch campaign for the album, it wouldn't sting as much. For example, us having the Candy Paint video, VEVO performances, lots of SUSTAINED continued social engagement, etc.  But the nothingness of her campaign made everything kind of ride on one performance...which is always a risky move as is. Every act in that tribute has been out and about promoting their behinds off, flop or not.

She has done no real grassroots promotion or marketing. Sorry but the Terrell show was cute but isn't enough. And I refuse to believe it's because she's "lazy". I really think she/her team are trying to use mystery and a more "curated" approach to promo as a cover for a much bigger issue at the label. 

This whole "era" is giving thrown out by the label/Mani with the understanding that no further checks will be cut. Trust me, labels can be ruthless when a budget has been exhausted. Especially if there's no fiscal justification/potential for a return on investment to plunge more $$$ into things. 

Note how she keeps using terms like "hope... to perform at award shows"... "hope...to tour"..."hope...to give xyz" moments. It's like there doesn't seem to be anything concrete in place.

Do we have intel on when the injury occurred because I'm also baffled that her BET performance was never formally announced? Everyone else in the tribute lineup was confirmed ahead of time.

My working theory is that she was meant to be announced as part of that last batch of names (Coco, Summer Walker etc) and they pivoted to Childish Gambino. Notice how he was only male performer in what was otherwise an entirely female, choreography-heavy tribute segment. He also sang some slow, odd version of a song that is way more uptempo. I can't be convinced that wasn't Mani's spot. It has to be this because she doesn't wield the power to be anyone's "surprise" performer, especially if the other gworls were all announced. 

Anyway, the fight continues. 

Edited by Cbreezy

Best wishes to her 

but...

Why some of you act like her career depends on a awards show performance? We are in 2024 :rip:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrpartyrocker said:

The biggest issue is that you don't allow certain celebs to be human. You look at them as machines. Normani can sit at home and rest like she was told to do and you can go **** off. 

7 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

I interpreted that the doing too much is not about the final result being more than Janet or Beyonce, but the execution not being proper. Sometimes it's the routine that will harm them, other times they are not using correct gear or even good shoes for the routine. Bey just recovered from an injury herself, but at least it took her twenty years into her career to have an injury that made her change her approach to a concert. The girls are already serving OUT sometimes even when they are taking off (Tyla). They need to stick to more simple stuff and enhance their technique. Any dancer or athlete has a real fear of harming themselves while doing it, because it can be life changing for the worse and **** your mobility for life. It's no joke

THIS 1000%. The girls are getting injuries in their TWENTIES. A better approach is needed.

I also think the expectations put on female performers to do full choreo in heels has gotten RIDICULOUS.

Heels are literally bad for the back and dangerous to dance in, unless they're tailored for dancing.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.