Would a "Teenage Dream" era in terms of success ever happen in the streaming era?

naval23

Would it?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would it?

• Yes - with the right factors it could happen in the streaming era
    • No - Teenage Dream wouldn't happen in a streaming era

Actually, olivia could have done it with Sour if she released more singles and more music videos

lead: drivers license

2nd single: good 4 u

3rd single: traitor

4th single: deja vu

5th single happier 

6th single: jealousy, jealousy

7th single: favourite crime

last single: brutal

Midnights and TTPD also would also have 4 #1 hits if they released the pre-released singles:

midnights:

Lavender haze (2 Sep)

midnight rain (30 Sep)

karma (21 Oct, album release date)

anti-hero (11 Nov)

ttpd:

fortnight (9 feb)

icdiwabh (15 mar)

guilty as sin? (19 apr, album release date)

down bad remix (31 may)

Edited by wsurferwayne
  • Like 1

I feel like Olivia and Chappell have 8 hits in their albums so they could (without the #1s) if properly handled + effort from them + a lot of luck. Someone get Dan ***** in Katy's basement asap.

3 pre-album singles, 1 single released alongside album, 1 post-album single remixed in some way, 1 new song added to a digital re-release of the album a la Ava's "My Head & My Heart". That's the only way I could see it maybe working?

Alternatively just release 6 successful singles and work them into an album after the fact. Or somewhere on the spectrum between these two scenarios.

I seriously don't see it happening, the eras rollout these days has complately changed, not many artists are investing much in multiple singles per album. Labels are not having the voice to determine what's the next single as it used to heavily. It does not help the fact, that they are not investing in this strategy either. Nowadays, it is a matter of what goes viral, gets the most streams after album release, etc.

Planet Her was a great example of the closest we've been to multiple solid hits from one album, and yet it is far away from TD's chart success.

You can. Did we forget that when Katy did it she released remixes? That method can work now, since it would be a new song. 

18 minutes ago, Ger said:

I seriously don't see it happening, the eras rollout these days has complately changed, not many artists are investing much in multiple singles per album. Labels are not having the voice to determine what's the next single as it used to heavily. It does not help the fact, that they are not investing in this strategy either. Nowadays, it is a matter of what goes viral, gets the most streams after album release, etc.

Planet Her was a great example of the closest we've been to multiple solid hits from one album, and yet it is far away from TD's chart success.

i would say sour is closer than planet her since PH had one top 5

I feel like we kind of got that with FN? Obviously not to the same degree but Dua got a handful of hits from the album and had great longevity in the US with Levitating

success? yes it can

#1s? maybe but they can try

ariana could do this with eternal sunshine if the boy is mine could actually smash, then we'd still have some hits potential on the album (eternal sunshine, supernatural, true story, don't wanna break up, ordinary things) 

No because unlike the digital era in the streaming era you'd have to release the singles first before the album and then eventually one when the album dropped. It only works for newcomers because the GP will only gradually listen to the album whereas everyone who wanted to listen already did it upon release to the extend that by the time another single is released it doesn't feel fresh and new. 

5 hours ago, Sannie said:

Sure, with the same type of payola.

The only thing TD had going for it was the singles. The album didn't sell a lot in context, it won 0 big awards, had no cultural reverance, and the tour didn't sell amazingly. One of these other singles girlies could do it if they had the right team.

girl you really should avoid posting stuff like this because it just makes all your other comments sound terribly biased and take away any credibility they might have lol there's no issue in disliking a singer but you have to be delusional to say that a diamond certified album with +4 diamond certified singles that influenced tons of rollouts and pop music following its release had no cultural relevance. there's a reason it lives on everyones consciousness (and more than ever as of lately). it was the soundtrack of a generation :coffee2:

Edited by georgechxng
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sannie said:

Sure, with the same type of payola.

The only thing TD had going for it was the singles. The album didn't sell a lot in context, it won 0 big awards, had no cultural reverance, and the tour didn't sell amazingly. One of these other singles girlies could do it if they had the right team.

That's why the follow up to Teenage Dream made Gaga almost completely insane.

No.

Streaming users demands new releases in a short span of time nowadays, so they won't be that invested in streaming 5-8 singles from the same album for long.

6 hours ago, Sadie Saxton said:

Honestly all it would take these days would be if Taylor or Rihanna did a Journals type era and just lead their album with a bunch of singles

This is my thinking as well. Just have a well loved and strong streaming force artist withhold their album release till maybe the 4th number 1 single then release it on the 5th single.

I'm not saying that it will be easy to do. But if someone was planning to do it. This method would be the most practical way of doing it 

• ATRL Moderator

The industry is completely different now.  Having that streak of hits is possible if: they released half of the singles pre-album release and then maybe saved 2 for post-album (and even then, release new versions as the single versions), then it's possible.  But it's different.

• Thanks 1

It's impossible. The Gen-Z can't focus on someone for more than 5 minutes. Artists get one real hit per era at the best these days and have to maintain their interest every week, releasing new versions, remixes, doing some trash for some buzz and still don't succeed at getting hits after hits. 

Edited by Erreur2 La Nature

If you look it from a perspective 'can artist get 5 number ones from one album', it is not like it is something that was often happening in the past, no matter what the consumption was.

Katy was only the second one in history with that achievement, and it happened like 20 years after Michael Jackson.

So I would say it is bound to happen once again at some point in future.

Edited by Imagine Dragon

Unless they release 6 or 7 #1 singles before the album drops then no

13 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

i would say sour is closer than planet her since PH had one top 5

That one top five song charted longer then all of Olivia's songs besides G4U. Planet her has 4 songs that charted for 40+ weeks Sour has one song that charted over 30 weeks. 

31 minutes ago, makeme said:

That one top five song charted longer then all of Olivia's songs besides G4U. Planet her has 4 songs that charted for 40+ weeks Sour has one song that charted over 30 weeks. 

PH also had zero week at #1 on the two main charts...

Teenage Dream comparison people make is not "it had multiple songs that lasted 40+ weeks on the chart"

fearless had multiple songs last 49+ weeks on the chart, and it's not considered her peak, for a reason.

Edited by fridayteenage

3 minutes ago, fridayteenage said:

PH also had zero week at #1 on the two main charts...

Teenage Dream comparison people make is not "it had multiple songs that lasted 40+ weeks on the chart"

Well for starters TD doesn't even have a single that lasted over 40 weeks. Let alone 4 of them 

Wasn't Future Nostalgia and DL self titled almost that? You just need the material and the payola. Nothing frontloaded where the hits burnout. Funnily enough Teenage Dream was more pure pop not dance bangers - the songs have to last the distance. I voted no for the current MPG, but yes if another dua came along 

Yes but it would all happen at the same time.

not sure if they would all go number one tho 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.