Sony to gradually cease production of optical disc storage media products (Blu-Ray)

Gwendolyn

No more home video stands in stores and now no more Blu-rays. In an era where streaming services can yank off a movie just because, this is depressing.

• Like 7

Sad

i would say streaming should have more robust bonus features  found on the Blu-ray's but I guess they could just upload that to YouTube or something

Cast commentary at least can be put on all streaming movies if it exist already  :cooldown:

• Like 1

Trash.

I'll just keep making my own versions like I have been with my shows that never get physical releases for the last decade :coffee2:

The era where the digital product you buy is not really yours and can disappear at any time. 

spacer.png

I hate it here.

24 minutes ago, Attitude said:

So increase in piracy. Got it. 

Netflix will always be popular because all movies at one place plus u dont need hard drive.. piracy is only for cheap broke college going kids 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

5 minutes ago, shimind said:

Netflix will always be popular because all movies at one place plus u dont need hard drive.. piracy is only for cheap broke college going kids 

"All movies". Who lied to you?

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 1

this is genuinely horrifying in the larger context of media preservation, with the recent shutdown of MTV News and others... 

• Thanks 1

This is misleading by the way, the article is about production of CD-R, DVD-R and such, basically for homemade media storage and some rather cheaply done releases (like the CD of the Barbie soundtrack). Pressed/Manufactured media like mass released movies, games and albums are NOT affected by this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Loca said:

Torrenting is the only solution for film preservation. Stop giving money to these corporations.

Honestly, when RARBG shut down a few years ago it felt like the burning of the library of Alexandria

• Thanks 2

I hate the fact that I will know a film or television show to be streaming on one particular service, but it's gone whenever I sit down to finally watch it. I hate the streaming model and what it has become. That's why owning a physical copy of a film or television show will always be superior to streaming it, despite its supposed convenience and accessibility. Which, of course, is an illusion.

I, quite literally, hate the people who are making these decisions when it comes to streaming and what's on which service and when. Just put it on there and leave it alone.

16 hours ago, bliaz said:

The era where the digital product you buy is not really yours and can disappear at any time. 

It truly feels dystopian atp

Don't think I've actually bought a physical copy of a movie in about 5+ years

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.