Kesha - "Joyride"

austinsuxx

The thing is that we are unlikely to get a high-budget video from her ever again and everything else would make little strategic sense for her. 

Videography has always been the weakest part of her output. It clearly wasn't a priority for Luke either, given how basic the videos of most of her hits look like. The low number of views for basically all her videos speaks for itself. 

So, to make a dent and really turn things around, she'd have to start releasing good high-budget videos…but we're obviously not getting that without a major label investment. Now more than ever, it's more likely any "video" we get from her would be a Magic Seed production by Lagan Sebert. 

On top of that comes the general decline in importance of music videos, as has been mentioned.

She could probably come up with a cute concept and try to make the most out of it, but I agree that it would make virtually no difference whether this gets an actual music video or not. 

The constant neglect of a good videography throughout her career has made its mark, evidenced by her very low number of subscribers on Youtube and low views even for her hits. To turn this around would require a huge investment in quality videos that she won't be able to receive without a major label and it seems to be a questionable priority in a time of declining importance of music videos. That ship has kinda sailed.

I think it's just wiser for her to spend this money on good promo opportunities because that has the potential to really do something for her. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• Vixen Eyes

• AlbertoBouvier

• CroNich

I actually think a good video for this song would seal the deal. 

The GP has not heard anything from Kesha since Praying and need to see her again, not just hear her. 

I still love this song regardless if it has a video or not or becomes a huge hit or not. 

It's neck and neck with Jade's Angel of My Dreams for favorite song so far this year. 

• Like 2

Spotify Day 25: +754.593

dG1lwnC.png

• Like 2

confirmed it's falling. 

Hmm… yeah, I'm just not exactly sure what should be done next. It probably would have made the most sense to come out swinging but also I sort of feel like they might have better single options than this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomTom said:

Videography has always been the weakest part of her output.

This. I love Kesha, but her videos are always meh / not good. Also unless you're someone like Lady Gaga, a music video isn't going to give the song legs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm waiting for today's update, this is the weekend's update and numbers are always down during the weekend for some reason.

• Like 2

Everyone get up for the return of the legendary, one and only @gettsleazy who has emerged back from a one-month ban issued just days before Joyride got released in one of the most evil strikes of destiny possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, TomTom said:

Everyone get up for the return of the legendary, one and only @gettsleazy who has emerged back from a one-month ban issued just days before Joyride got released in one of the most evil strikes of destiny possible.

We give and we take... I get banned, Fadty TANKS, it's just the universe keeping everything in balance. 

So proud of our girl! What a comeback :heart:

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, gettsleazy said:

What I love about Joyride is the unique production, allowing for insane replay value. I think one of the strengths is how abrasive it is. The amount of people that were "meh" about it on first listen that now can't stop playing it by the third listen... that is an ear worm and the building block of a massive hit. 

Therein lies its strength as a single and lead choice. It's not boring, it's not predictable or by the books. This makes the potential to go viral (which it already kind of has?) that much bigger. It can trend it so many different ways/directions (i.e. the emerging trend of using it as an edit audio). Sure a dance trend might tank, a funny video may only be funny for a day or two, but there are soooo many paths this song can go down in terms of success. It's the gift that keeps on giving in that way and I think (and hope!) that it's only getting started. Her team just needs to capitalize on the already-existing virality, which given how amazing the track has already performed, they seem to be well equipped and prepared to do. 

Also this is no shade but I think part of what makes this song great is that it could be considered annoying lol. Like the chorus has this ring-ting-ting to it that gets lodged in your head. It's stupid, it's vapid, but SO fun in a not try-hard way.  It reminds me of all the ways people shaded Tik Tok for being brash/trashy/garbage only for it to be one of the biggest earworms of all time.

I agree an MV is not going to "save" this song. While I selfishly want one for the gag and the looks and the stunt, the $$$ is better invested in organic/paid media and digital exposure/one-off promo "stunts" (mini vids, billboards, social collabs, etc.) 

We're so back though, like SO back. It's been amazing to see the response to this and even more incredible that it's an entirely self-funded independent release. I imagine she must feel incredibly proud and should!

:clap3::clap3::clap3:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gettsleazy said:

We're so back though, like SO back. It's been amazing to see the response to this and even more incredible that it's an entirely self-funded independent release. I imagine she must feel incredibly proud and should!

!!!!

It's so nice seeing her get the deserved recognition this time around, and while finally being free. Anything that happens is a positive for her.

Also, it's unfair for people to compare her to an artist with a label that allocates a budget for things.. everything is coming 100% out of her pocket as of now I imagine. 

Edited by austinsuxx
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, TomTom said:

The constant neglect of a good videography throughout her career has made its mark, evidenced by her very low number of subscribers on Youtube and low views even for her hits. To turn this around would require a huge investment in quality videos that she won't be able to receive without a major label and it seems to be a questionable priority in a time of declining importance of music videos. That ship has kinda sailed.

Average videos is part of that, but I attribute it mostly to Kesha never solidifying an audience in other markets who used youtube- South East Asia, Latin America, even Europe

• Like 3

I need this album to have a CD / DVD anniversary release using footage from whatever upcoming tour she's doing. 

• Like 1

That song could be huge in Europe, it has everything to be a hit there, it really sounds like a Eastern European tech song 

• Like 4

hope it'll rise after Lolla 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gettsleazy said:

We give and we take... I get banned, Fadty TANKS, it's just the universe keeping everything in balance. 

So proud of our girl! What a comeback :heart:

Welcome back! <3

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AlbertoBouvier said:

sold out

"dance pop country and more" queen really does it all 

• Like 2

honestly I don't think she cares that much about getting a huge hit anymore. Im sure she would love it, but she is probably happy making her art, having her fanbase, making a good living, doing her shows, and also putting her energy into her record label :clap3:

on the other hand tho I'm sure she loves the spotlight low-key :jonny6: so idk 

Edited by youmustbeupgraded
  • Like 1

someone tell Taylor to foot the bill for a high budget MV

XOisgeV.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/10/2024 at 4:29 AM, katysuxx said:

this was a TOTAL let down. the chorus is sooo cringe.

So I'd like to retract my initial opinion as I now hold the opposite view. :priceless: After giving it more listens, i've come to enjoy the song.

It's mainly the 'purr, first etc' notes that threw me off, but the song overall HITS.

Edited by katysuxx
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.