Are "Smile" aesthetics underrated?

Lagerfeld

Looking back, we can see how Katy was visionary in her aesthetics for the Smile era. Is it underrated?

Review: Katy Perry's 'Smile' 

Katy Perry - Smile | Katy perry photos, Katy perry albums, Katy perry 

Katy Perry On Motherhood, Rebounding After 'Witness' And Her New Album, ' Smile' : NPR 

KATY PERRY on X: "Welp. I hate to throw this bad news at you like a pie in  the face...but if there's anything 2020 taught me, it's to not get too  attached 

ne7LodF.gif 

Edited by Lagerfeld
  • Haha 2

The idea was good but I think it was terribly executed because it also didn't match the music.

• Like 2

this is my first time seeing a lot of these and yikes. katykats were in the trenches

That clown-circus theme/aesthetic feels like a regression tbh :gaycat2: :sorry: sis :emofish:

The initial 70s-hippie-new age direction was perfect :heart:
This honestly feels like a natural evolution and where she needed to be.....but katy like usual..takin bad decisions :gaycat6:

1200x1200bb.jpg1f9d021568e838508ef1bc99b48caf52.1000x1000x1.jpg

Katy-Perry-Aitana-Rosalia-e1594030663661.jpgkaty-perry-harleys-in-hawaii-soundazed-2.jpg

Edited by AvadaKedavra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 12

I still think she's the one to blame for every decision she has made since Witness. She seems like the boss that always says no when she get warned about her horrible ideas but she still go on with it and then she see all the backfire and never learn. Good for her for not giving a **** and stand with their tasteless ass 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AvadaKedavra said:

That clown-circus theme/aesthetic feels like a regression tbh :gaycat2: :sorry: sis :emofish:

The initial 70s-hippie-new age direction was perfect :heart:
This honestly feels like a natural evolution and where she needed to be.....but katy like usual..takin bad decisions :gaycat6:

1200x1200bb.jpg1f9d021568e838508ef1bc99b48caf52.1000x1000x1.jpg

Katy-Perry-Aitana-Rosalia-e1594030663661.jpgkaty-perry-harleys-in-hawaii-soundazed-2.jpg

THIS.

The Never Really Over hippie theme should have been the moodboard for the whole era, and the ideas were literally right there to flesh out and expand on. This logo which built upon the yin Yang theme itself was right there and it matched most of the material and sound on the album too. 
spacer.png

why did she ditch all this and go for the clown/ circus theme we will never know. But I will always associate the Smile era with NRO-HIH concept above the clown concept so there's that, lemme be a delulu stan here and say that's the original concept :bird:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julia Fox said:

I still think she's the one to blame for every decision she has made since Witness. She seems like the boss that always says no when she get warned about her horrible ideas but she still go on with it and then she see all the backfire and never learn. Good for her for not giving a **** and stand with their tasteless ass 

she's been doing this since "Unconditionally" and pretending "Dark Horse" didn't exist when it was outselling "Unconditionally" 2 to 1 despite not even being a single until she had no choice but to acknowledge its slayage and release it as a single

No. One of the worst aesthetics for an album era period. She should have stuck with the 2019 aesthetic.

Yes, I loved the use of primary colours (yellow, red, and blue for the uneducated) in the promos. However, my favourite is the pink or orange ballons with the yellow background. 

If she removed the ugly red block with the horrible smile font, the album cover would slay substantially more. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.