Carly Rae was the original Charli. What went wrong?

Lagerfeld

I feel that Carly was the original homosexual-exclusive icon. However, the gays have since abandoned her for the likes of Charli, Ethel, Chappell, etc.

What happened? Is it because she related to the Millennial gays and now Gen-Z don't relate?

ne7LodF.gif 

• Confused 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, BussC,XOXO said:

huh? the gays literally still love carly and they're nothing alike?

Not as much as before. She's barely mentioned. It's been all about Charli for the last few years.

ne7LodF.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

because she had one good era and then decided to make the most bloated, filler full boring albums 

while she left some pop perfection bops collecting dust on the D word leek website, her albums starting with dedicated side a and especially the floppiest time (the first one, not the second) are a chore to listen through

she's also, though bless her heart i do like me some carla every now and then, does not exactly have much of a personality for gays to latch onto and live vicariously through 

ne7LodF.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 18

Also Charli and Carly have kinda co-existed as the two gay pop stars for a while now. Neither prevents the other's success

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dedicated was average compared to Emotion and Side B imo

• Thumbs Down 5

There's other markers of success besides chart positions and Carly is a very successful artist. Surely more successful than Ethel Cain. Also, let's wait and see where Chappel Roan is 15 years into her career. Then we can compare her to Carly :bird:

• Like 1

Misogyny, and let me explain.  Charli actually has quite a dominant and almost masculine persona, so she appeals to everyone regardless of their gender.  Carly Rae, on the other hand, has an unbridled feminine optimism and a borderline obsession with love and romance, which is very apparent throughout all her work.  When women express their feelings in this way, they aren't taken seriously and society deems them as "childish," "hysterical," and "unhinged."  This naturally bleeds over into the way that people (ATRLers included) perceive her music.  "Well she can't be a great songwriter because she's always writing about love."  The same criticisms afflict Taylor, but Taylor has been around long enough to have a cult fanbase that will have her back no matter what.  Carly Rae only has gays and a small minority of women who are free of internalized misogyny.  And most straight men would feel emasculated listening to CRJ and would write her off as "corny," which exponentially lowers the growth potential of Carly's fanbase.  It's sad because she is one of the most talented female songwriters alive today, but people will never take her seriously because they only see her as the "Call Me Maybe" girl who's desperate to get a boy's phone number.

• Like 1

She's still loved by the gays, just not as much as during the Emotion era cause her music is more mature now and gays prefered her bubblegum-ish sound. :cm:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bitter Aging Twink said:

Misogyny, and let me explain.  Charli actually has quite a dominant and almost masculine persona, so she appeals to everyone regardless of their gender.  Carly Rae, on the other hand, has an unbridled feminine optimism and a borderline obsession with love and romance, which is very apparent throughout all her work.  When women express their feelings in this way, they aren't taken seriously and society deems them as "childish," "hysterical," and "unhinged."  This naturally bleeds over into the way that people (ATRLers included) perceive her music.  "Well she can't be a great songwriter because she's always writing about love."  The same criticisms afflict Taylor, but Taylor has been around long enough to have a cult fanbase that will have her back no matter what.  Carly Rae only has gays and a small minority of women who are free of internalized misogyny.  And most straight men would feel emasculated listening to CRJ and would write her off as "corny," which exponentially lowers the growth potential of Carly's fanbase.  It's sad because she is one of the most talented female songwriters alive today, but people will never take her seriously because they only see her as the "Call Me Maybe" girl who's desperate to get a boy's phone number.

is this chatgpt?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

because she had one good era and then decided to make the most bloated, filler full boring albums 

while she left some pop perfection bops collecting dust on the D word leek website, her albums starting with dedicated side a and especially the floppiest time (the first one, not the second) are a chore to listen through

she's also, though bless her heart i do like me some carla every now and then, does not exactly have much of a personality for gays to latch onto and live vicariously through 

ne7LodF.gif

I have to agree. Between Dedicated sides A and B, I can make about a 10–12 track album that's decent, but I can't listen to either one all the way through anymore. Just about every other song on The Loneliest Time is a skip too: Joshua Tree, Far Away, Beach House, Western Wind, So Nice... Where is the album of all No Drug Like Me or Talking to Yourself level bops?

ne7LodF.gif

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

She has one of the biggest hits of the 21st century and a very loyal following so nothing? :rip: The vast majority of artists would kill for a career like hers

Although, I will say I've always thought she could have a career like Kylie, who in the 90s became more niche but then had another huge commercial period in the 2000s. If Hozier can randomly have another huge smash 10 years after his first, maybe Carly can as well. Loneliest Time went Top 20 in every anglo country, she still has an audience so it's not unthinkable.

Who do you guys think would be inspired producers or artists to collab with? I could try and see if I can pass along suggestions. I might get told it's way above my paygrade lol but I love Carly's music so much and I would die if I could somehow play a tiny part in helping her get her own "Can't Get You Out of My Head".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The thing about niche artists like Carly and Charli is that they're not competing for charts or something that has a spot for only one. Their paths crossed a couple of times and they have mutual fans, me included, but Carly has a very different appeal than Charli imo

She's still at the top of her game, cause people don't just want sweet escapist music. They want it coming from her.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

Love Carly but her last two albums could be cut down and combined into one. She needs an editor :bird:

Everything Carly releases is perfect :heart2:

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.